Top 5 College Offenses

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Uh, no, I don't. Do you mean it plays into the leftovers that Bammer, Ugly and Barn don't want?

You call the kinds of athletes Meyer recruited leftovers?

We just got done agreeing that Florida needs to go back to being Florida. It's pie in the sky to think we're going to return to being Air Spurrier. We've got dynamic athletes all over the place in this state. Let's go get 'em.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Uh, no, I don't. Do you mean it plays into the leftovers that Bammer, Ugly and Barn don't want?
We might want to start thinking about making a run at Paul Johnson. His offense negates talent or so I've heard.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You call the kinds of athletes Meyer recruited leftovers?
2006, no, we got the best, By 2008, yes, all the WRs, RBs and QBs were going elsewhere. Didn't want to block while watching the QB run 30 times.

We've got dynamic athletes all over the place in this state. Let's go get 'em.
Dynamic doesnt mean a fvkking sideways offense. That isn't dynamic. It's high risk (lots of fumbles with the option and risky short passes that are pick sixes waiting to happen) and low gain.

I'm not sure what has happened to the memories of some of you but the offenses under Creyer/Mullen/Daz were impotent in 2005, 2006, 2009, and 2010. In those years, the analysts every week were literally asking "what is wrong with the Gators offense?" There were only two year in which the offense worked 2007 and 2008 out of the 6 years.

There are SPREADS that are very vertical, they stress the defense both horizontally AND VERTICALLY. And spreads that are have much vertical passing and utilize power running games, think Tommy Bowden at Barn and Clemson/Dabo/Rodriguez/Holgerson style spreads.

Back to your point. I loved SOS's go for the throat mindset, but I didn't like his run game (basically a draw game) and no power aspect. I'm not the one who thinks SOS is coming back. Frankly, I'm not even interested in the SOS who was just a CEO and had other dudes calling his plays.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
2006, no, we got the best, By 2008, yes, all the WRs, RBs and QBs were going elsewhere. Didn't want to block while watching the QB run 30 times.

By 2010, maybe. Otherwise, Meyer was doing fine, and esp on defense. You're forgetting, too, that Driskel was the nation's top-rated quarterback prospect.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, UCF had a 46/54 pass-to-run split in plays in 2016. More of their yards came in the air than on the ground.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
FWIW, UCF had a 46/54 pass-to-run split in plays in 2016. More of their yards came in the air than on the ground.
It really doesn't matter.

Again, do you really want to see our offensive line trying to slide right together and pick up blocks fifteen yard to the right or left on a stretch or zone read? They literally miss guys when they line up face to face and have a simple down block. They can't do the simple stuff. They aren't athletic. Our backs are slow. Our receivers a big fast dudes designed to run down field not to run reverses and block a lot.

You can imagine how great it would be with the 2008 OL but you are not understanding the reality of what we have on the roster.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Again, do you really want to see our offensive line trying to slide right together and pick up blocks fifteen yard to the right or left on a stretch or zone read? They literally miss guys when they line up face to face and have a simple down block.

You can imagine how great it would be with the 2008 OL but you are not understanding the reality of what we have on the roster.

It would be a strained transition, but that wasn't the point of the discussion. It was to imagine from scratch. I suppose if we're trying to put the emphasis on practical, someone out there who recruits well on both sides of the ball and runs a non-option spread or pro-style.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There are plenty of outstanding OC's out there and plenty of different styles that would work "in the SEC".

But here's a starting point for making a hire: don't hire the guy who just produced a 110th ranked offense at a P5 school and got fired....just one year after getting let go from his other P5 school job....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It would be a strained transition, but that wasn't the point of the discussion. It was to imagine from scratch. I suppose if we're trying to put the emphasis on practical, someone out there who recruits well on both sides of the ball and runs a non-option spread or pro-style.
From scratch (offense only with no demerits for defensive issues): Dabo, Gundy, Kingsbury.

This is also not to say I'm totally opposed to Frost. They didn't alway play option at Nebraska. They sometimes ran traditional powers and such, so it is there in his playbook if he were flexible enough to use it. (So many coaches aren't.)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think this discussion helps bring to light how hemmed in Stricklin could be if/when a coaching change were to come about. As Threat said, we really can't afford to roll the dice on another value play, and yet I'm unsure how willing we would be to pay top dollar for a marquee name.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think this discussion helps bring to light how hemmed in Stricklin could be if/when a coaching change were to come about. As Threat said, we really can't afford to roll the dice on another value play, and yet I'm unsure how willing we would be to pay top dollar for a marquee name.
I'm not sure marquee name is as important as some may make it out to be. I think the right fit is more important. I look at mike white as an example. We were all a little disappointed at first we didnt go with archie miller or chris mack. But white's personality and style of play was a perfect match for our fanbase. He turned out to be a homerun in my book.
Also, it's very hard to hire a good coach from a power 5 school because of money. These schools can match what we offer and coaches are protected by huge buyouts. Not to mention Mac's bigass buyout.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure marquee name is as important as some may make it out to be. I think the right fit is more important. I look at mike white as an example. We were all a little disappointed at first we didnt go with archie miller or chris mack. But white's personality and style of play was a perfect match for our fanbase. He turned out to be a homerun in my book.
Also, it's very hard to hire a good coach from a power 5 school because of money. These schools can match what we offer and coaches are protected by huge buyouts. Not to mention Mac's bigass buyout.

So you're on board with Frost?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So you're on board with Frost?
I'll be honest. I haven't watched ucf play. But the numbers don't lie. I would definitely say he's one to watch. He may be that type of fit i was talking about.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I have no interest on rolling the f'ing dice again. Nobody is cheap when you have to buyout their contracts. Get someone who has proven they can handle the big time or I'm not interested. If it means waiting an additional year than so be it. Do it right this time or don't do it at all.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Again, do you really want to see our offensive line trying to slide right together and pick up blocks fifteen yard to the right or left on a stretch or zone read? They literally miss guys when they line up face to face and have a simple down block. They can't do the simple stuff. They aren't athletic. Our backs are slow. Our receivers a big fast dudes designed to run down field not to run reverses and block a lot.

UF's current OL has plenty of talent to be successful with a successful offensive staff with an identity who know what they are doing

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

This one.

Frost. UCF
frost.jpg

I've said it going back to last year. This guy is going to be a very hot commodity. His players love the guy. He's a great recruiter. His team plays with lots of energy and confidence. And he calls plays that show trust in his team and his QB even after they may make mistakes.

It will be interesting to watch the UCF vs USF match up.

My prediction is we f**k around hanging on to Mac and Nebraska scoops him up.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, I just could never trust a guy who spends as much time worrying about his hair as Gundy does.

mikegundymugsmall.jpg

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whoever it is better be at least a 3 or better on this scale. Preferably a 2. Frost looks up to the job.
20091025154847578.jpg

I'd take a chance on a guy like Frost. Being in Florida would help the transition. And I think that young coaches seem to connect better with the players these days. That guy Riley at OU is gonna be a good one. And oh by the way one last thing....nobody is leaving a place like OU or some other top ten school to come here. The job just aint that great unless you are a total homer.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'd like to see Gundy and surround him with elite deffensive coaches and recruiters. I'm talking going out and plucking a DC from another school and paying him.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, I just could never trust a guy who spends as much time worrying about his hair as Gundy does.

mikegundymugsmall.jpg
What is it with you and hair envy, bro? Respect the mullett.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator