t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n185100 said:
Geez.

Winning the football AND basketball championships in the same year stands alone at #1 and it isn't even close. Probably the only time any of us will see a school do that in our lifetimes.

you got a pretty good point

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

Looking at things in perspective, you have to put Steve Spurrier's winning of the Heisman Trophy at the top. This was the first time Florida football was ever recognized with an award of this magnitude on the national stage -- I'm talking Heisman, I'm talking National Championship type stuff. The Heisman was only given to two SEC players in history before Spurrier won it -- Frank Sinkwich of Georgia and Billy Cannon of LSU.

To continue on with football, another milestone was Florida defeating Georgia Tech in the 1967 Orange Bowl game. Again it was Spurrier and Larry Smith leading the Gators to victory over Kim King and Lenny Snow. It was the Gators first win in one of the big four New Year's Day Bowls -- Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Rose. Spurrier had taken us to the Sugar Bowl, but we lost to Missouri. With Spurrier's Heisman and the Orange Bowl win, the Florida Gators were beginning to play on the national stage.

Again with football. 1984 SEC Champions the team built by Charley Pell. Yeah, I know Pell was fired three games into the season and the team was coached by Galen Hall, but this team had Charley Pell written all over it. You Know, They Know, We Know who were the real SEC champions that year.

Steve Spurrier, Coach Steve Spurrier this time, with his domination of SEC football in the 1990s. How many times does the name Spurrier come up in Florida Gator milestones!

Let's move out of football and give basketball some credit due. The back to back NCAA tournament champions. An unbelievable accomplishment for a school that played basketball in tiny Alligator Alley that rocked to the band playing Watermelon Man.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What does "look at things in perspective" mean?

I'll tell you what it means: Here is a list that makes no sense.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
#1 has to be back to back NCAA titles in BB wrapped around closely to the national titles in FB. No other school ever has done that before.
2. Has to be SOS's run through the SEC (in the 90s) like Sherman through jawja
3. Finishing so high for so long in the whatever it is for top college programs in sports WITHOUT HAVING water polo, fencing, wrestling, men's lacrosse, men's volleyball etc etc etc

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n185045 said:
*ahem* jabs I hate to mess up what is probably a fantastic acid flashback, but Mateen Cleaves was from our 2000 run to the Finals

Still don't like him in this century or the previous one. Sorry if my dislike causes a discrepancy in the timeline.

Dec 10, 2014
Zambo;n185100 said:
Geez.

Winning the football AND basketball championships in the same year stands alone at #1 and it isn't even close. Probably the only time any of us will see a school do that in our lifetimes.

This

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n185100 said:
Geez.

You can really put the years 2006-2008 as number one. Back to back basketball national championships, and two football national championships with a Heisman trophy in between. And that's only football and basketball. Can't see how UF sports has had a better 3 years.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
1) Back to back BB championships with a FB title thrown in
2) Spurrier winning the Heisman (UF's 1st & the SEC's 3rd)
3) Spurrier's domination in the 90's of the SEC and his offense changing the landscape of a conference from 3 runs and a cloud of dust to Offense-centric
4) UF winning the All-Sports trophy/NCAA Athletics trophy consecutively

and because of the bolded...
5) I was extremely satisfied with the softball team's NC last year. Smoking hot Hanna making that fat Bama pitcher her biotch. Then all those sweaty ladies piling up on her after she closed game 2 out. I don't know if it would crack the top 5, but it is the only one I fantasize about

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I think this should be pretty high.

Attachments

• conv_2574.jpg
    conv_2574.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 46

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n186408 said:
I think this should be pretty high.

It was until they sold the rights. Now it's Pepsi's achievement.

th

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.