traveling

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
In my other life (lives) was able to travel. BC *(before children) Now its rare and short. Went to Savannah for two days. Just 3 hours north. God protected me early in the trip as I booked the wrong dates at the Wyndam and went over to the Marriot. They had a room for those two days. I had read HORRIBLE reviews of the Wyndam and just going inside realized I might have lucked out. (wife hates crappy hotels). So we got the trolley and saw LOTS of Old Savannah. I highly recommend it. So much history to this port city. Ate some GREAT FOOD for two days. People were nice. Lots of walking concentrated in that area but plenty to see. Need to do it again for 3 days. Ate some crab stew in Crystal Beer Palace. Excellent and reminded me of the great crab bisque a restaurant in Cedar Key had back in the 80s. So one highlight of Savannah was no dwag shttt blocking the scenery. But a guy on the trolley said "go gators" so we chatted" But another highlight was the CBarrel outside Savannah on 95. Great staff and excellent food and hell, breakfast for two was only $24. And I only ate half of it. So wife has to "shop" the Barrel and I head outside to walk awhile. FINALLY, see a dog sitting in a rocking chair in all his glory of new champeeenship red and black splendor. Nice guy. We talked awhile. He worked for Hugh Durham back in the day (former Fsu bb coach and then dwag BB coach) Got them to the final four with Vern Fleming and TErry Fair. I actually remembered all that. He was telling me how jammed up they were in the old Alligator Alley when they came to play in BB. I like talking to other sec fans. Wife said she was surprised at how I did it as I DESPISE the dwags. I told her " darling we hate the dogs and yankees etc etc etc but we like individual people. His name was Kevin like my son and brother so it was a sign from God that we met and talked.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Sounds like a good time in Savannah. I took the family over to Hilton Head last summer to visit my middle daughter and we went down to Savannah for a day. Very nice and beautiful city. I would love to visit there again.

I am currently on travel for my job. Fortunately I will be getting to head for home sometime next week as we are finishing up what we came out here for.

Here are the highlights regarding why I come out here a few times each year here.

Hawaii is nice and beautiful and all but, after a couple of weeks (I've been here since 8 March) it tends to wear thin... Ready to get back home to Sweet Home Alabama... ;)

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Sounds like a good time in Savannah. I took the family over to Hilton Head last summer to visit my middle daughter and we went down to Savannah for a day. Very nice and beautiful city. I would love to visit there again.

I am currently on travel for my job. Fortunately I will be getting to head for home sometime next week as we are finishing up what we came out here for.

Here are the highlights regarding why I come out here a few times each year here.

Hawaii is nice and beautiful and all but, after a couple of weeks (I've been here since 8 March) it tends to wear thin... Ready to get back home to Sweet Home Alabama... ;)
Every time you go to Hawaii, they seem to shoot missiles off.
That should tell you something. :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
In my other life (lives) was able to travel. BC *(before children) Now its rare and short. Went to Savannah for two days. Just 3 hours north. God protected me early in the trip as I booked the wrong dates at the Wyndam and went over to the Marriot. They had a room for those two days. I had read HORRIBLE reviews of the Wyndam and just going inside realized I might have lucked out. (wife hates crappy hotels). So we got the trolley and saw LOTS of Old Savannah. I highly recommend it. So much history to this port city. Ate some GREAT FOOD for two days. People were nice. Lots of walking concentrated in that area but plenty to see. Need to do it again for 3 days. Ate some crab stew in Crystal Beer Palace. Excellent and reminded me of the great crab bisque a restaurant in Cedar Key had back in the 80s. So one highlight of Savannah was no dwag shttt blocking the scenery. But a guy on the trolley said "go gators" so we chatted" But another highlight was the CBarrel outside Savannah on 95. Great staff and excellent food and hell, breakfast for two was only $24. And I only ate half of it. So wife has to "shop" the Barrel and I head outside to walk awhile. FINALLY, see a dog sitting in a rocking chair in all his glory of new champeeenship red and black splendor. Nice guy. We talked awhile. He worked for Hugh Durham back in the day (former Fsu bb coach and then dwag BB coach) Got them to the final four with Vern Fleming and TErry Fair. I actually remembered all that. He was telling me how jammed up they were in the old Alligator Alley when they came to play in BB. I like talking to other sec fans. Wife said she was surprised at how I did it as I DESPISE the dwags. I told her " darling we hate the dogs and yankees etc etc etc but we like individual people. His name was Kevin like my son and brother so it was a sign from God that we met and talked.

I took the kids to Savannah for a day trip and we did the trolley too to hear about the history. We could hop on and off to eat and shop. It was a quaint town and really good food.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I took the kids to Savannah for a day trip and we did the trolley too to hear about the history. We could hop on and off to eat and shop. It was a quaint town and really good food.
It "was" a quaint town? Have they become "normal?" :dunno: I mean, it did seem to be quaint when we were there last summer...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Savannah is beautiful (on the “right side” of the railroad tracks, literally in this case), but as a GD Yankee here, I notice that none of you Southern “gentlemen” ever mention the centerpiece of the old town… you know, where they auctioned the slaves!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Savannah is beautiful (on the “right side” of the railroad tracks, literally in this case), but as a GD Yankee here, I notice that none of you Southern “gentlemen” ever mention the centerpiece of the old town… you know, where they auctioned the slaves!
Nobody cares....... :dunno:

The last person in my family who actually owned slaves died in 1902. He's dead and the issue should be also.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Savannah is a great place to visit and walk around, though sadly, the crime is starting to get worse in the tourist areas.

@stephenPE - I’ve eaten many times at the Crystal Beer Palace. It was a favorite lunch spot of a former colleague. Another favorite in the fall is B&H burgers. Great burgers and they use the wall of the building next to the outdoor patio as a screen on which they project football games.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I missed that. Wish I hadnt And the trolley guys never mentioned it. I was amazed at the war history there and all the foreigners that fought. Pulaski was a big deal. I learned quite a a bit about the RR's and how the cotton was shipped out by the tons.....the old bldgs along the water are now all hotels and hops and restaurants but used to be full of cotton ready to be put on ships. DIdnt see any crime. No drag shows but a few gay guys. food was great. easy to walk around and read stuff.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I missed that. Wish I hadnt And the trolley guys never mentioned it. I was amazed at the war history there and all the foreigners that fought. Pulaski was a big deal. I learned quite a a bit about the RR's and how the cotton was shipped out by the tons.....the old bldgs along the water are now all hotels and hops and restaurants but used to be full of cotton ready to be put on ships. DIdnt see any crime. No drag shows but a few gay guys. food was great. easy to walk around and read stuff.
Should see the old power plant. Some nice pieces there.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Always my first stop. Looking for property records. So I can be first in line for compensation.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Always my first stop. Looking for property records. So I can be first in line for compensation.
FYI - my Blackhorse Regiment ran the obit for that B-52 pilot. He was a FAC for the Regiment in Vietnam and was especially proud of that service.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
FYI - my Blackhorse Regiment ran the obit for that B-52 pilot. He was a FAC for the Regiment in Vietnam and was especially proud of that service.
I was trying to find a quote about the Blackhorse from the opening of "World War III" but I seem to have loaned or given away my copy. Vaya con dios, my brother. Go rest high on that mountain.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I was trying to find a quote about the Blackhorse from the opening of "World War III" but I seem to have loaned or given away my copy. Vaya con dios, my brother. Go rest high on that mountain.
Yes, it was mentioned in Hackett's book, and my troop, Bravo Troop 1/11 ACR was the only Army unit Clancy mentioned in Red Storm Rising but he mislabeled it as a tank company (Delta Company was the tank company in 1/11... Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie Troops were cavalry troops). CPT Wixom wrote him a "nasty gram" and Clancy sent a nice letter back. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator