Truth Takes: Bluegrass Blues

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
There's no way around how bad that loss was. That is not a great Kentucky team. In 2018, I felt they could have a good year and they were a 10 win team. In 2021, they have beaten a lot of bad teams and us close. I do not believe we are bad, but we do plenty of dumb things in coaching and on the field. I'm going to try and not let out a bunch of things that I might regret later. I'm trying to be better than that this year and games like this make it hard.

Offense
I'll start at the top, not switching QB's at this point would be a joke. Yes, AR grounded a ball when an offsides rusher created pressure on a third down and everyone knew a flag was coming. That play is the reason a good portion of fans think on Twitter he can't pass the ball and shouldn't play. However, I watched a guy cost us the game with a pick by locking on to a first read when another seam route was open for 6. I've seen that same QB struggle with throws beyond 5 yards for 5 games now and has thrown 6 INT's in 5 games. I have seen that QB throw into quadruple and triple coverage multiple times, including said INT and to end the game. I've seen that QB have 7 downs in the redzone to tie the game and fail miserably. Not all of it is on him, but if he could read a defense it would make a difference. It's year 4, I'm off that train.

The playcalling was suspect at best in important moments. Announcing to the world you do not have faith in your offense by not trying to score with 1:30 and 3 TO's at the end of a half is stupid. Running a few plays with no intention of scoring and therefore risking players to injury is malicious. QB draws on 2nd and goal from the 14, really? I mean it worked some during the night, but UK knows Mullen's tendency to run QB draws in the redzone, do you really think other coaches haven't done scouting?

Pierce continues to do well and it still doesn't matter. We had to keep trying to run right because there is little confidence in Reese's pulling ability. The false starts are coaching. As much as I want to hate on the O-line, and it is somewhat their fault. The fact there were not any adjustments made and we looked unprepared for a hostile environment is all on the coaches. I can't fully hate on the line as QB's did get time to throw, and Kentucky schemed well to slow down the run. What we did with those opportunities is another question. We did see two major phantom holding calls, but that is not why we lost. I mean, one did set up the blocked FG that changed the game, but there were too many coaching issues piled on top of each other to blame it on these. The game shouldn't have been this close after a while.

Defense
I'll be controversial here. The defense played great and gave up 7 points. I know, technically, they gave up a TD on a short field after a pick, but a lot of defenses do give up TD's after a turnover where the offense gets the ball inside of the 30. Also, they got a 3 and out to give UF a chance to tie. As written above, we squandered their effort.

The defense gave up 87 yards passing, half of which was on one play. That's a good number. Hell, Mullen isn't wrong about the yards, our defense came to play. His offense did not. That's the problem.

Cox did a fairly good job setting the edge on a few occasions and Carter is still a monster averaging 1 sack a game. A number that should raise against Vandy this week. Hopper did well tackling and made a few nice plays. Blades, Perkins, Helm, and especially Marshall did well this week covering for Elam's absence. I wouldn't play Elam against Vandy this week to make sure he's ready for Death Valley. The experience these four have gotten in a hostile environment should pay dividends in the future.

I can't really dog this defense this week.

Special Teams

This unit was not good. I can say, "Yay! We blocked an extra point!", but it wouldn't matter. We allowed the momentum and score to change with a poor FG attempt by all involved. Can't be made about the return after the block as even my lowly Jaguars got a kick 6 last week.

Extra Points
  • Does it get much worse than FSU getting their first win and losing to Kentucky on the same day?
  • Saw a few people saying its better for UF when FSU and Miami are good. Can anyone explain that nonsense? Is there a correlation between our records? I mean FSU won a Natty when we went 4-8 so I don't think that's true.
  • Unless AR15 is starting, I am starting to believe the scoring streak may come to an end in Jacksonville.
  • UF is 1-5 in their last 6 against Power 5 teams. That's the Stat.
  • Mullen is 4-8 against UK, Bama, LSU, and UGA at UF. Number could get worse by the end of the year.
  • At least Miami is still a dumpster fire.

Here is what is most frustrating. We have plenty of talent on this team, but it is obviously not being used to its max potential. We have receivers getting open, but a QB that can't read the field. We don't even try to take deep shots despite having the protection time. Let the players try to make plays. We have running backs that don't go down with first contact getting limited carries. We've seen this defense three and out every team, but then allow long drives. It is almost starting to feel like 2017, where I knew there was talent and the right coach could do much better with it. I don't like that feeling.

Go Gators!

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
This many false start calls = loss. Not preparing for loud environment and relying on the 2 clap system is bush league.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
That is a good recap. In short I infer that Cousin Eddie sux. Yes he does. We are in decade #2 of Incompetent Head Coaching. For the longest time people would say we do not want to be this team or that team, but you know what. A decade + is enough time for me to say, football wise, we are Wake Forest, We are Cowbell, We are Kintucky, We are UVA, we are Iowa State, we are ........... insert any team you like here.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
when another seam route was open for 6.
I saw this as well (as well a couple more). The question I have is it due to him or the current Florida culture?

I don’t know this answer. I believe AR has that personality factor though. Maybe it’s both?

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
AR15 looks human when Mullen is unprepared. Even a generational talent can't overcome bad coaching. Don't expect any change at QB and I certainly don't expect a different outcome even if there is a change. Mullen gonna Mullen.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
AR15 looks human when Mullen is unprepared. Even a generational talent can't overcome bad coaching. Don't expect any change at QB and I certainly don't expect a different outcome even if there is a change. Mullen gonna Mullen.

I’ve been asking people who say on Twitter next year is AR’s what makes them believe that and so far it’s all “just my opinion” and no real answer when pressed for empirical evidence.

Also, I’m about to go ham on another storyline. Might get a midweek post from me.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I’ve been asking people who say on Twitter next year is AR’s what makes them believe that and so far it’s all “just my opinion” and no real answer when pressed for empirical evidence.

Also, I’m about to go ham on another storyline. Might get a midweek post from me.
Took a broken leg to see Kyle Trask so yeah, I'm not optimistic.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
AR has a very small sample resume - but it is more positive than any other CFB QB has registered. What are his failed efforts.?
His footspeed leaves all in his trailwoosh (before hammy). He's thrown a solid % of long pass rocket shots. He's caused more missed tackles than "gets-tackles". All TV observers recognized what was there to develop. AR15 will show the nation Heisman qualities. And winning ways.

Last edited:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I think Dan is giving AR crap plays or changing into them on purpose to calm the calls for a change. Yes, I believe he’s that arrogant to do something like that as payback for having the nerve to question him.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
If Mullen insists on playing an option QB, then run the option. Don't throw it 31 times or else you will get brutal results like this.

If Mullen wants to be balanced then get a QB in there that can throw the ball beyond the LOS and stretch the field. It's elementary.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This many false start calls = loss. Not preparing for loud environment and relying on the 2 clap system is bush league.
I kept thinking if they are set on sticking with the clap system, then go on the goddamn first clap so you don't keep tricking your own players into a false start.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I would love to see you and cover get together before your write-ups and “divide and conquer” on your analysis. You are both great but I think it would be even better if you could go into more depth in some areas, cover in others.

Regardless, good write-ups by both of you.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
Thank you again Gator Truth for taking the time to write these each week. I have a unique situation living outside of the USA, but the free streaming on an Android app is outstanding. I have never seen so much college football in my life before.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I kept thinking if they are set on sticking with the clap system, then go on the goddamn first clap so you don't keep tricking your own players into a false start.

or just belly up to the center and clap the old fashion way

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Thank you again Gator Truth for taking the time to write these each week. I have a unique situation living outside of the USA, but the free streaming on an Android app is outstanding. I have never seen so much college football in my life before.
I think most of us wish we were you, frankly. Sitting on a beach in Cozumel watching football? Doesn't sound so bad even if we suck balls.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I would love to see you and cover get together before your write-ups and “divide and conquer” on your analysis. You are both great but I think it would be even better if you could go into more depth in some areas, cover in others.

Regardless, good write-ups by both of you.

Who knows? Maybe it will happen. Maybe we can figure out how to skype record and we just talk it out. Hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator