Truth Takes: Charlotte Review 2023

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Glad to see there was a Little Bits & Pieces from Cover2, especially as I overslept and had trouble doing my customary re-watch before writing.

The Gators beat the 49ers 22-7. We can be honest and say it is good to win while acknowledging that in many ways that game was not great after the first two Gators offensive series offensively. Defensively, the Gators overall looked great. A few times they had issues or were bailed out by a penalty, but another solid outing as the defense, full of young guys, continues to build.

I said before the game I wanted to see us work on our downfield passing game and I was pleasantly surprised we did. I even told my cousin-in-law (who went with us) that he saw history as we actually threw a quick slant on a first down. We’d threw one on 2nd down later in the game and I almost had a heart attack. As you know, I’ve been keeping track of passing depth this season as it appears that we seem to throw a lot at or behind the line of scrimmage. Against the 49ers, Mertz completed 60% of his passes beyond the line of scrimmage (12 of 20). With that said, maybe there is a rule I don’t know, but on the reverse to Jean, the play started with the same jet sweep pass that has counted as a completion throughout the season before Pearsall gave the ball to Jean. I’m not sure why that didn’t count as a completion and reception. Can anyone shed light on that?

Speaking of Jean, it was nice to see him get touches. He had 25 yards on the reverse and 32 yards on one reception. I’ve read a few places that he’s been battling an injury, but now that he appears healthy, I hope to see more of him. I think he could fill in for the Wilson role while Wilson is out and I believe a four wide (wishful thinking) with Jean, Wilson, Pearsall, and Douglas could be a threat that takes opposing defenses out of the box and provides ample running room. Douglas did have the fumble, but has been impressive making contested catches this year. I can’t talk about catches and not mention Pearsall’s all-timer. Sitting in the South endzone, it looked good, but from my angle I didn’t realize how good it was until seeing the replay.

I can’t explain the running back usage. Montrell getting double the carries as Etienne is crazy. I’d hate to quote a bulldog here, but Murray was right in that it is hard to saw we are saving Etienne when we are having him return kicks and punts. He also had 6 of his 8 carries in the second half. Travis Etienne had some tweets about the situation that appear to have hurt some people’s feelings. I won’t defend him, but I’ll throw up this. Against the last 5 FBS opponents (excluding Oregon State in the bowl because reasons), Johnson has 209 yards on 59 carries (3.54 ypc) and Etienne has 383 yards on 59 carries (6.49 ypc). 3 yards in ypc is a gulf of a difference in my opinion. What is not my opinion are the numbers. If you include the bowl, the numbers become 70 carries, 223 yards (3.19 ypc) and 67 carries, 397 yards (5.93 ypc).

The missing OL is a convenient and somewhat reasonable excuse for the offensive issues that netted only one TD. The interesting part is they seemed to be doing just fine the first drive and a half rather than start slow and then get it together. It is also worth noting that according to PFF Slaughter, our back up Center, was the highest rated OL, and highest rated in both run and pass blocking (sometimes they can be highest overall with a really high average on one while being so-so in the other). The worst was surprisingly regular starter Austin Barber. Knijeah Harris was ok, playing the whole game at right guard. Graded better than Barber overall, better than 5th year senior Hudson at run blocking and better than 4th year sophomore (I’m sure a guy who should be a Junior or Senior is a young underclassman) Dameion George at pass blocking. Harris being a true freshman made mistakes, but definitely good for him to get the experience now to build towards the future. In short, it wasn’t necessarily the replacement OL that were the biggest problem.

On defense, we started strong and dominated early. After the first drive, Charlotte tried playing Ivey, their passing QB, but realized after two drives that was worse. Jones then came back in and had a decent game. The D did well to respond when the offense gave Charlotte the ball at the Gators 32 on a fumbled. They ate a screen alive for a big loss on first down that eventually led to a 55-yard FG attempt that just went left. It might’ve been good had the kick been a short one and brought the game to 16-10 at that point. Don’t give underdogs a chance to believe. Charlotte would later shoot themselves in the foot when they got momentum. First on 2nd and 1 at midfield they broke a huddle with 12 guys, then on 3rd down Jones threw a pass that would have had them inside the 10 two steps too late and got hit with an illegal forward pass. On the next drive, Charlotte again hit a few plays that were well designed. Jones did get a first down inside the 20, but a holding call at the sticks (5 yards downfield) negated that momentum. The Gators then ended the series with a sack of Jones.

Despite the few opportunities for Charlotte to make it a game after the crowd went flat, the defense stepped up when it needed to and held Charlotte to 7 points. If the offense did better than 1 for 9 on 3rd downs, then the crowd would be more into it and pumping energy into the defense. With that said, only allowing 211 yards and 7 points is a great performance. I doubt anyone had a top 10 defense through this point of the season on their bingo card. Also, don’t look now, but our 3rd down defense has jumped over 100 spots since last season. Hopefully, it stays that way.

I do find it weird we have more youth in the vein of true and redshirt freshmen playing on D, but somehow the multi-year starters and/or 4th year sophomores on offense are considered the young side. That is a discussion for another time, but something to think about.

Before the game, I said it would be interesting to see how we handle success. It did not appear like we did that very well. I hope that this is just getting a bad game out of our system. I hope it is not a case of looking ahead. Looking ahead, with the way the rest of our schedule is, will get us in trouble. Although the SEC does appear to be down this season, teams have shown that they can be capable in different ways. Arkansas, without Rocket Sanders, gave LSU all they wanted last night. UK and Vandy put up a slap fight that makes me want to believe both are awful, but I’ve seen that tape before. Rattler and company put up LSU numbers offensively on Miss St. These are things that we will need to come to each game ready for and we can win each of them. An uninspired performance like this could have us shaking our heads after another loss in a winnable game (another when considering last season).

It is possible to be happy with a win and recognize that things need to improve.

Next week in Lexington is the first hurdle in the rest of our season and possibly the best defense we’ve faced so far. Time to move to Kentucky week, three straight losses to them would be awful.

Go Gators!

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Bonus story, met Chris Rainey walking around the stadium, we were actually sitting in the same section for the game and he ended up being on the aisle.

While we were walking to our seats, Rainey gets stopped by several people to get photos, shake his hand, etc. The best one was when a family stops him to take a photo of them, like "can you take a picture for us?" They didn't realize they had just stopped a Gator Great. It gave me a chuckle, especially after they saw the myriad of people coming to his seat on the aisle to talk to him after that. I understand maybe not know what players look like, even some of the greats. However, one that was just on Swamp Kings, and looks like he did when that was filmed, is hilarious to me. Not a knock on Rainey at all, seems like a genuine guy.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Nice write up.

One thing I was wondering that I couldn’t see on TV, but maybe you could see at BHG. As the game wore on, Mertz seemed to be holding the bowl for an inordinately long time when dropping back and then either getting sacked or flushed from the pocket. Were the receivers not getting separation, running bad (or ill-conceived) routes, was Mertz adverse to throwing into tight windows, or was it something else? It was really frustrating to watch at home.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
@GatorTruth133 regarding you asking about a double reverse etc, if the ititial pitch was forwards even if behind the line of scrimmage, that would count as a forward pass, thus you can't have another forward toss of any sort on the same play even if behind the line of scrimmage. Any yards gained by a player after the intitial forward toss to another player, would be rushing yards.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Nice write up.

One thing I was wondering that I couldn’t see on TV, but maybe you could see at BHG. As the game wore on, Mertz seemed to be holding the bowl for an inordinately long time when dropping back and then either getting sacked or flushed from the pocket. Were the receivers not getting separation, running bad (or ill-conceived) routes, was Mertz adverse to throwing into tight windows, or was it something else? It was really frustrating to watch at home.

No one open on several plays. Like the maddening sack where Mertz bought time all the way to the sideline and didn’t throw it away. Technically, I think Jackson broke off his route and began to get open 20-30 yards in the middle going right to left, but by that point Mertz was turning back toward the middle of the field avoiding pressure.

Sometimes guys get open, this year or last year, but pressure causes QB’s not to see people getting open opposite the direction they are traveling.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
@GatorTruth133 regarding you asking about a double reverse etc, if the ititial pitch was forwards even if behind the line of scrimmage, that would count as a forward pass, thus you can't have another forward toss of any sort on the same play even if behind the line of scrimmage. Any yards gained by a player after the intitial forward toss to another player, would be rushing yards.

Ok, thanks. Although, why wouldn’t it be a pass and catch counting yards before the ball went to Jean?

It’s a weird thing I’m sure rarely happens

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Ok, thanks. Although, why wouldn’t it be a pass and catch counting yards before the ball went to Jean?

It’s a weird thing I’m sure rarely happens
I do not know or recall the play but if the first pitch was forward it should have counted as a catch but perhaps the player ran laterally for no gain prior to to pitching the ball back to a teammate, thus it would be a catch for no yards or even negative yardage if still behind the LOS.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I didn't take Napier's presser as arrogant or Butters/Mullen like... I didn't see it as him brushing anything off, I took it more as he knew what his assessment was going into the game (especially the impact of the Oline), he saw what the general issues were in real time, and was saying that while he needed to see the film, he pretty much knew exactly what needed work. He didn't have that bullshcit air about him or especially his tone that the others had.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I didn't take Napier's presser as arrogant or Butters/Mullen like... I didn't see it as him brushing anything off, I took it more as he knew what his assessment was going into the game (especially the impact of the Oline), he saw what the general issues were in real time, and was saying that while he needed to see the film, he pretty much knew exactly what needed work. He didn't have that bullshcit air about him or especially his tone that the others had.

I actually haven’t watched this presser. Though from my understanding (which is through what I’ve seen said and could be faulty) calling 10 men on the field “situational” rather than even saying the “get fixed line” is not a great non-statement. Never should have multiple situations in multiple games with 10 men. Again, I’m playing the telephone game here so if I’m off let me know

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I actually haven’t watched this presser. Though from my understanding (which is through what I’ve seen said and could be faulty) calling 10 men on the field “situational” rather than even saying the “get fixed line” is not a great non-statement. Never should have multiple situations in multiple games with 10 men. Again, I’m playing the telephone game here so if I’m off let me know
you'll see in the presser if you watch that he fully explained the issue from saturday night... i wasn't totally paying attention, but he said there was something about that 4th down that changed and we didn't have our return man on the field or something like that. for the FG question, his answer was "there's no way we kicked a FG with only 10 men on the field."

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Defense is now top 5 overall. Impressive. Most impressive.

That side of the ball has not lost consistency.

But if the offense comes out flat and uninspired again like it did Saturday we will struggle mightily against anyone on our schedule….

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Defense is now top 5 overall. Impressive. Most impressive.

That side of the ball has not lost consistency.

But if the offense comes out flat and uninspired again like it did Saturday we will likely lose against anyone on our schedule….
FIFY

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
you'll see in the presser if you watch that he fully explained the issue from saturday night... i wasn't totally paying attention, but he said there was something about that 4th down that changed and we didn't have our return man on the field or something like that. for the FG question, his answer was "there's no way we kicked a FG with only 10 men on the field."
Finger GIF by funk

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

He didn't kick a field goal with 10 men on the field. It was when Charlotte was attempting the long field goal, maybe 55 or 56 yards Florida only had 10 men on the field.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
He didn't kick a field goal with 10 men on the field. It was when Charlotte was attempting the long field goal, maybe 55 or 56 yards Florida only had 10 men on the field.
We did, in fact, also kick a field goal with 10 men. And let them attempt one and punt with only 10 on the field.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After reading about our week of bad practices, I didn't expect much from our offense. And I wasn't disappointed with our uninspired play...... But I saw enough "good things" to give me hope going forward. There was no lack of effort, just half-assed execution on many plays. That can be corrected by Coaching. Obviously we are a very young team, still trying to figure out how to be consistent and play hard, smart Football for a full game.

Thanks for the write up.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good writeup @GatorTruth133

Not surprised at all and was really not disappointed either. I kind of felt this could work to be that type of game. I had hoped for like a 41-10ish game but none the less. This is an extremely young team. And most of it is learning how to handle mistakes, correct errors, learn the game, and most of all handle the success. In one way you can say with the win they did, but seemed somewhat uninspired at times. I also think that Napier anticipated this going into the game. But also knew that with the talent and the matchup, they should win. If not for SMACK, this game could have been a lot worse. And that is one area of work we needed desperately.

On ETN, I agree with what you said about the amount of touches vs. play on KO return. The only thing I can think is that possibly the Kicks go in the endzone and no returns? Maybe a stretch, but I have no doubts that BN know that his #1 back is ETN and giving Johnson the work. And seems as if (#2) he needs it. I have no issue with the touch count knowing what we face in the upcoming games. So save #7 when you need him but don't forget to feed #7 the ball. Going into this game we also knew the amount of starters that were going to sit. More importantly with a comparison of teams (I reference TOOTHLESS) struggled with Autsin Peay with ALL their #1's in the game. I say this because UF was still able to manage with those guys missing. No doubt with Mazzcua, Eguakin. and all the OL back this is a different game. More flashes of Boardingham and seeing Andy Jean. If they can get him fully 100% it's going to be great to add him along with Pearsall and Wilson.

I think moreover this game was about resting players we need, getting valuable PT for those that needed it, and getting a win, no matter how lackluster, with this group of youngsters. It was also a good lesson to this team in that you just can't walk off the bus and expect to win. They are a long way from that. We'll see what happens in Lexington Saturday night.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Nice write up.

Yes, ESPN missed a lot. Seems like they only brought two cameras to do this ESPN+ Premium Content broadcast. Occasionally the camera person would bite on the play fake and follow the wrong player until almost the end of the play. But yeah, no views of downfield coverage was frustrating. I paid $10 to see this. I suggested to wife she break out the cards for some gin rummy to make the evening more exciting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator