Truth Takes: Kentucky Preview 2023

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Must Win- requiring a successful or victorious outcome because anything less would negate all preceding efforts.

Is the Kentucky game a must win? I say yes. In short, a loss to the Wildcats, especially after the so-so offensive showing against Charlotte would negate all proceeding momentum the Gators have coming off the Tennessee win.

Let’s get the disgusting stats out of the way. Florida heads to Lexington, Kentucky with a 2-game losing streak to the Wildcats and losing 3 out of 5 after 31 straight victories from 1987 to 2017. Florida is 1-6 away from the Swamp under Billy Napier. The 1 win was at Texas A&M where the Gators trailed at the half to an A&M team that was ravaged by injuries and was missing several key players, including their starting QB, due to a flu outbreak within the program.

If you want to show improvement in year 2, step 1 was the rivalry win and beating a Tennessee team that wasn’t as potent as last year’s team. Step 2 is winning on the road, beating teams you’re more talented than, and beating teams when they stack the box. Kentucky qualifies for all three of those things.

On offense, Florida faces a Kentucky program that has the 20th ranked defense in the nation. They are 61st against the pass and 9th against the run giving up 215.8 and 77.5 yards respectively. Kentucky has not really played anyone, but that also probably means they’ve been relatively vanilla up until this point while Florida has had two games to show its hand. Kentucky being ahead in the games probably means that opposing teams did more passing and less running so the run game might not be as stout as the stats suggest.

I expect Kentucky to stack the box to try and stop Florida’s running game. Tennessee played light boxes in the first half and paid dearly. Kentucky will have learned while looking at the Utah, OSU, and Vandy games. As I wrote Sunday, Etienne needs a large share of the touches as in our last 5 FBS games (excluding bowl) he averages 6.5 ypc while Johnson averages 3.5 ypc. I expect to see Wilson utilized a lot more as well. It was nice to see plays with quick slants on first and second down (both were successful) last week and we will need to see more of that if we are going to counteract Kentucky and others tacking the box.

On defense, we face a Kentucky offense that has been a mixed bag. The good news is the Kentucky OL has been inconsistent. The Wildcats do boast last year’s ACC Pre-Season Offensive Player of the Year Devin Leary, Ray Davis, who rushed for over 1,000 yards at Vandy last season, and 5 receivers with a 40 or more-yard reception on the year. Their offense has been relatively boom or bust. Leary has thrown 9 TD’s and 5 INT’s, including 2 to Vandy last week through the first 4 games. However, as I said about Kentucky’s defense, I believe the lack of competition might mean we’ve only seen mostly vanilla Kentucky so far. I don’t expect them to all of a sudden be All-Pro, but just as people excuse the Charlotte performance for being vanilla (or all the lackluster Gator games against cupcakes for the last decade or so), I think it is fair to apply the same logic here. It wasn’t that long ago Kentucky struggled in their opener only to beat the Gators in the Swamp the next week for their first win in the series since 1986.

With all that said, I believe our defense is more than capable of handling this Kentucky offense. Our defense last year did a pretty good job with a decent amount of UK’s points coming off of two picks. Coach Armstrong has done wonders with this defense and a match up against an offensive line that has been inconsistent might be a problem.

Environmentally, the Gators play at UK at noonish for the first time since 2003 when a head coach in his second year went into Lexington with a first year QB and escaped with a memorable comeback to depress the Wildcats. The last 9 match ups at 3:30 or later have mostly been wild affairs from 2007’s shootout, to the Tebow concussion in 2009, to my brother’s wedding day in 2017 where UK didn’t line up against a receiver twice. The last two, Trask finally getting to show what he could do and AR not being permitted to do so (possibly injured) were mirror images of each other. Hopefully, we see more of a 2011 type game.

Losing this game does erase much of the goodwill built by the Tennessee win, in part due to last week’s so-so performance. Losing this game raises questions about winning on the road with road games at Williams-Brice, Death Valley, and a cold CoMo remaining. Losing would do so many things, fair or not, I cannot help but call this game a must win. A first SEC East road win. Keep the momentum, seize the opportunity before us, and beat the Wildcats.

Florida 21, Kentucky 10

Go Gators!

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
200.gif

I agree - must win to recapture positive momentum.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Theres no reason we shouldn't beat this team handily. I think the only thing that could possibly (and probably) hinder us would be our offense continuing to underwhelm in the passing game which would help them to stifle the running game. Lets see what Billy can dial up.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
@GatorTruth133 Ditto to everything you posted.

I do think the key is the Defense. I think they will benefit from a Leary pick or two. No reason that this team loses to Kinfukee. Just offensively remember who we are and feed #7. Stick with the run as much as possible. Should be able to wear those guys down. Defense should allow us the benefit to keep it that way.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
We haven’t shown any propensity to force turnovers yet . I wouldn’t count on it starting with UK. We just need to beat their asses the old fashioned way

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Must Win- requiring a successful or victorious outcome because anything less would negate all preceding efforts.

Is the Kentucky game a must win? I say yes. In short, a loss to the Wildcats, especially after the so-so offensive showing against Charlotte would negate all proceeding momentum the Gators have coming off the Tennessee win.

Let’s get the disgusting stats out of the way. Florida heads to Lexington, Kentucky with a 2-game losing streak to the Wildcats and losing 3 out of 5 after 31 straight victories from 1987 to 2017. Florida is 1-6 away from the Swamp under Billy Napier. The 1 win was at Texas A&M where the Gators trailed at the half to an A&M team that was ravaged by injuries and was missing several key players, including their starting QB, due to a flu outbreak within the program.

If you want to show improvement in year 2, step 1 was the rivalry win and beating a Tennessee team that wasn’t as potent as last year’s team. Step 2 is winning on the road, beating teams you’re more talented than, and beating teams when they stack the box. Kentucky qualifies for all three of those things.

On offense, Florida faces a Kentucky program that has the 20th ranked defense in the nation. They are 61st against the pass and 9th against the run giving up 215.8 and 77.5 yards respectively. Kentucky has not really played anyone, but that also probably means they’ve been relatively vanilla up until this point while Florida has had two games to show its hand. Kentucky being ahead in the games probably means that opposing teams did more passing and less running so the run game might not be as stout as the stats suggest.

I expect Kentucky to stack the box to try and stop Florida’s running game. Tennessee played light boxes in the first half and paid dearly. Kentucky will have learned while looking at the Utah, OSU, and Vandy games. As I wrote Sunday, Etienne needs a large share of the touches as in our last 5 FBS games (excluding bowl) he averages 6.5 ypc while Johnson averages 3.5 ypc. I expect to see Wilson utilized a lot more as well. It was nice to see plays with quick slants on first and second down (both were successful) last week and we will need to see more of that if we are going to counteract Kentucky and others tacking the box.

On defense, we face a Kentucky offense that has been a mixed bag. The good news is the Kentucky OL has been inconsistent. The Wildcats do boast last year’s ACC Pre-Season Offensive Player of the Year Devin Leary, Ray Davis, who rushed for over 1,000 yards at Vandy last season, and 5 receivers with a 40 or more-yard reception on the year. Their offense has been relatively boom or bust. Leary has thrown 9 TD’s and 5 INT’s, including 2 to Vandy last week through the first 4 games. However, as I said about Kentucky’s defense, I believe the lack of competition might mean we’ve only seen mostly vanilla Kentucky so far. I don’t expect them to all of a sudden be All-Pro, but just as people excuse the Charlotte performance for being vanilla (or all the lackluster Gator games against cupcakes for the last decade or so), I think it is fair to apply the same logic here. It wasn’t that long ago Kentucky struggled in their opener only to beat the Gators in the Swamp the next week for their first win in the series since 1986.

With all that said, I believe our defense is more than capable of handling this Kentucky offense. Our defense last year did a pretty good job with a decent amount of UK’s points coming off of two picks. Coach Armstrong has done wonders with this defense and a match up against an offensive line that has been inconsistent might be a problem.

Environmentally, the Gators play at UK at noonish for the first time since 2003 when a head coach in his second year went into Lexington with a first year QB and escaped with a memorable comeback to depress the Wildcats. The last 9 match ups at 3:30 or later have mostly been wild affairs from 2007’s shootout, to the Tebow concussion in 2009, to my brother’s wedding day in 2017 where UK didn’t line up against a receiver twice. The last two, Trask finally getting to show what he could do and AR not being permitted to do so (possibly injured) were mirror images of each other. Hopefully, we see more of a 2011 type game.

Losing this game does erase much of the goodwill built by the Tennessee win, in part due to last week’s so-so performance. Losing this game raises questions about winning on the road with road games at Williams-Brice, Death Valley, and a cold CoMo remaining. Losing would do so many things, fair or not, I cannot help but call this game a must win. A first SEC East road win. Keep the momentum, seize the opportunity before us, and beat the Wildcats.

Florida 21, Kentucky 10

Go Gators!
Great wrie-up, as usual, Truth. Thanks for the great insight.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is no reason why we should lose this game. We were handling them quite well last year until AR’s 2 INTs. Their QB was better and our defense was worse. Defense Travels!

Our O-Line is back as is Wilson. If he can open things up on the edges, our run game will open in the middle.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
There is no reason why we should lose this game. We were handling them quite well last year until AR’s 2 INTs. Their QB was better and our defense was worse. Defense Travels!

Our O-Line is back as is Wilson. If he can open things up on the edges, our run game will open in the middle.

No reason in terms of actual talent--for the reasons you mentioned.

And yet, Kentucky clearly sees us as their main rival and most hated team. Their team, coach, and fanbase get up for this matchup like no other game they play all year. They hit harder, run faster, yell louder, play dirty, celebrate every successful play...whatever it takes.

For us, we still see them as Kentucky...a should-be guaranteed win because for 30 years it was...even if many of the games were closer than we'd like to remember.

That, more than anything, will be what makes the difference. Because we know they'll be motivated to play us. Will Napier have this team motivated and ready to fight from the first kickoff? Because that's what we'll be facing on the opposing sideline.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Because we know they'll be motivated to play us. Will Napier have this team motivated and ready to fight from the first kickoff? Because that's what we'll be facing on the opposing sideline.
Big question mark. Guess we find out if Napier has the plays and dials it up.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
No reason in terms of actual talent--for the reasons you mentioned.

And yet, Kentucky clearly sees us as their main rival and most hated team. Their team, coach, and fanbase get up for this matchup like no other game they play all year. They hit harder, run faster, yell louder, play dirty, celebrate every successful play...whatever it takes.

For us, we still see them as Kentucky...a should-be guaranteed win because for 30 years it was...even if many of the games were closer than we'd like to remember.

That, more than anything, will be what makes the difference. Because we know they'll be motivated to play us. Will Napier have this team motivated and ready to fight from the first kickoff? Because that's what we'll be facing on the opposing sideline.

I agree that Kentucky will be fired up for this game just because we are Florida. But I have to disagree with you that we are "clearly" Kentucky's main rival. That would have to be Louisville and Tennessee.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I agree that Kentucky will be fired up for this game just because we are Florida. But I have to disagree with you that we are "clearly" Kentucky's main rival. That would have to be Louisville and Tennessee.
Maybe we can catch them looking ahead to georgia, or tennessee, or alabama, or south carolina, or louisville. Did not reallize Kentucky has a tough schedule. They get the vols and bama at home, at least.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018

Idk...I'll give you Louisville as being their biggest rival; but in SEC terms? It's hard for me to give the nod to another school, even if Tennessee has a longer history. I've seen plenty of Tennessee-Kentucky games and they just don't have the same pop whenever they square off. But could just be my biased lenses too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator