Truth Takes: South Carolina Preview 2023

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Sometimes I miss having fun with the titles.

Anyways, As I have said on the podcast (released 2 am the day after my preview writings), I get tired of calling games must wins, but in different contexts the games certainly can be. The context for this week is two fold. The first is that this game is the best chance we have the remainder of the season to brake the 1-7 away from the Swamp record under Napier. Yes, we have the 1, but that was against A&M's B team due to a litany of injuries and a flu outbreak. A 2-3 Carolina team coming off of a bye is our best shot on the road the remainder of the year as it now stands. The second reason is bowl eligibility. Win this, we are 5-2 and only need to steal 1 game, probably beating Arkansas, in our killer 5 game stretch to end the season. Lose this, and you've got to beat Arkansas and steal a game against a team from a group of 4 that has a combined 3 losses on the season (and two of those were against each other; FSU over LSU and LSU over Mizzou) as well as probably one on the road (as Mizzou is probably our next best chance.

Carolina is one of the SEC's best home advantages. Throw in a Carolina base that sees this as a bowl eligibility must win game for their team and a team that sees UF as a big game, no matter the records. Outside of Clemson, many Gamecocks will see this as the biggest home game on their schedule (bigger than Kentucky). My point is, this fanbase will be fired up and the Gators need to be ready for a hostile environment bolstered by the South Carolina State Fair taking place in the parking lot. Throw in Carolina coming off of a bye, the first of three opponents to do so, and it is a tough game.

On offense, the Gators face the nations 118th ranked defense giving up 443 ypg. They are 126th in the nation against the pass giving up 301 passing ypg and are 73rd against the run giving up 141.6 ypg on the ground. Now a bit of context, the Gamecocks have faced 3 top 25 offenses away from Williams-Brice in their first 5 games; Georgia (8), UNC (9), and Tennessee (22). The defense isn't great, but might be slightly better than first glance. Since they've been behind in those 3 losses, the run defense stats might be higher than they typically would be. I believe the Gators need to come out through the air and exploit what has been a poor Gamecocks offense. If they can have success through the air early, it will open up plenty of room for Etienne and Johnson to exploit. Wilson and Pearsall have the speed to cause issues and Jackson has been solid. Throw in Boardingham growing throughout the season and we have growing skill in the passing game. With injuries to Douglas and Jean, I wouldn't be surprised to maybe see more from Mizell.

On defense, the Gators face a pedestrian running game, 87 ypg (124th in the nation), but a great passing game, 312.2 ypg (14th in the nation). In context, being behind in 3 games would inflate the passing numbers and deflate the running numbers. With that said, I don't care how down you are, 312.2 ypg is a ton of passing. The Gators will need to stop the pass first and foremost. We've generally been good at that through the year, but we also have only faced only 1 top 50 passing offense, Vandy who just had their back up throw for 280. Rattler and Legette are a great combo that have combined for over 600 yards in 5 games this season. Slowing them down will be key. Juice Wells is doubtful and probably will not play against UF, but if he somehow makes it on the field, we will have a bigger task. Carolina is the first of 4 top 14 passing offenses we face in the next 5 games. We will learn a lot about our true pass defense starting in Columbia, SC. Is it currently a product of facing a bunch of subpar passing offenses or are those passing offenses down in the rankings because of our good play? Or both?

In the opposite of the immovable force meeting the unstoppable object, UF's 108th in sacks faces a poor Carolina OL. Whoever wins this battle will go a long way to winning the war. If Princely and co. pressure Rattler, it may essentially shut down the Carolina offense. If the OL buys Rattler enough time, it will be a long day for the defense.

Unless the aberration of poor tackling we saw against Kentucky rears its head, I believe our run defense should be able to limit the lackluster Carolina running game. If you remove a 75 yard TD run, none of their RB's average 4 ypc on the season. Usually, good backs will still be above 4 if you remove a single long run. For context, Etienne averages 5 ypc if you remove his long of 62 and Johnson averages 4.85 if you remove his long of 34.

Despite the records, this is a tough task for the Gators on the road in a tough environment. If not now for a win on the road, when? This season is at a turning point going into the bye. A win and a lot of things become possible. A loss and the season could spiral.

For now, we hold onto hope.

Gators 24, Cocks 21

Go Gators!

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
if you ain't first scott eastwood GIF by NASCAR

Again, I agree on the must win. BN has got to right the ship on road games against teams with lesser talent.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Team needs to show some heart.
I can forget about Utah. But UK is a different story. Noon game? The D definitely played like they were still in bed.
The offense was lethargic too. But it's hard to mount a enthusiastic/emotional comeback without explosive pass plays to spark the fires.
Let's hope we always have the lead.
24-17.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just as you say on both offense and defense. This is a game UF could shine in the passing game as opposed to UF making others look like Heisman contenders. I do think Sandlot will be able to get enough rush from our front 4 without having to dial up a lot of blitzes. This should help with the pass D. If you Rattle Rattler, he shyts the bed. Put his azz in the dirt early and often.

If I were coaching the team this weekend I would tell them. "You are going to get punched in the mouth early. Get pissed off and punch them right back., fight like hell". This is a young team. Hopefully they will learn from earlier in the season.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
If CBN is coaching the team this weekend he will tell them. "You are going to get punched in the mouth early. Relax...it's a process. We could win or lose. Just don't lose sight of the process." This is a young team. Hopefully they will learn from earlier in the season.
FIFY

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
They are weak vs the pass but that would suggest downfield plays are what hurts them. Unfortunately, we’re not making those kinds of throws. Most of our yards through the “air” are a mirage. It’s nearly all yards after catch. Mertz can’t hit anything past 15 yards so we are still going to be relying on the run and shorter passes at or behind the LOS. If Rattler turns it into a track meet we’ll be struggling….

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I can forget about Utah. But UK is a different story. Noon game? The D definitely played like they were still in bed.
The offense was lethargic too. But it's hard to mount a enthusiastic/emotional comeback without explosive pass plays to spark the fires.
24-17.
Exactly. I looked for progress at UK and we regressed. Here we are again. It’s not just us, Ut turtled in the Sawmp and I’ve seen a number of P5 and nfl games where the road team makes crucial mistakes and untimely penalties. But good teams win at home and go at least .500 on the road, and better teams get defined by those wins.

But in terms of progress, I’m looking for fight, intensity and focus. If we do that, we should win handily. If SC plays up to the moment it will be a hard game, and any mental mistakes will be critical. We’ll see what experience they’ve gained. Lay another egg and their character as a team comes into question. This opponent won’t beat you on talent. It’s all about execution and toughness.

SOS said this week that his rule was no excuses. Not the crowd, not the weather, not their bye week. Don’t explain the loss on those terms. You know coming in, overcome it.

He also said he doesn’t think enough of our team has urgency about winning. (He said it much better than that.) That’s part of the culture Billy is trying to change. We need to see it now, but it has to fuel everything from February forward. So show progress.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think you are all right.........

A win would be really nice but another loss would doom this season. We need to be focused, disciplined and physical!

I'm at the point of "talk is cheap, show me some winning football"!

Go Gators!

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
24-17.
Funny thing is I care about Kentucky and Utah about the same because everyone Utah was missing (including their best LB on I believe the first play, 2nd series at most). The lead is crucial.
Just as you say on both offense and defense. This is a game UF could shine in the passing game as opposed to UF making others look like Heisman contenders. I do think Sandlot will be able to get enough rush from our front 4 without having to dial up a lot of blitzes. This should help with the pass D. If you Rattle Rattler, he shyts the bed. Put his azz in the dirt early and often.
Very true of Rattler. Our lack of sacks this season (108th in sacks per game) does make me a little worried about the ability to get pressure with 4. I like our guys, but there are questions.
They are weak vs the pass but that would suggest downfield plays are what hurts them. Unfortunately, we’re not making those kinds of throws. Most of our yards through the “air” are a mirage. It’s nearly all yards after catch. Mertz can’t hit anything past 15 yards so we are still going to be relying on the run and shorter passes at or behind the LOS. If Rattler turns it into a track meet we’ll be struggling….
You know I've been on the "air" yards mirage since week 1. That said, we could be hitting some intermediate routes (something we can do decently, but not frequently). Get Ricky, Wilson, Boardingham, and the backs the ball in space and I think they can make things happen. Hitches aren't helping that.
SOS said this week that his rule was no excuses. Not the crowd, not the weather, not their bye week. Don’t explain the loss on those terms. You know coming in, overcome it.

He also said he doesn’t think enough of our team has urgency about winning. (He said it much better than that.) That’s part of the culture Billy is trying to change. We need to see it now, but it has to fuel everything from February forward. So show progress.
I missed this, where did he say it?
I'm at the point of "talk is cheap, show me some winning football"!
Monday Night Raw Yes GIF by WWE

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You know I've been on the "air" yards mirage since week 1. That said, we could be hitting some intermediate routes (something we can do decently, but not frequently). Get Ricky, Wilson, Boardingham, and the backs the ball in space and I think they can make things happen. Hitches aren't helping that.
Exact. C'mon BN, make your offense interesting.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
f*ck, you're gonna get me listening to Steve "arrogantly ignorant" Russell aren't you? Does he yell at Spurrier for saying the same things he belittles his callers for?
Russell has never understood why fans get upset or angry. I think that goes back to his post-game “Dial-a-Score” show when I was an undergrad in the early 80’s. Any expectation is unreasonable to him.

I try to catch SOS there and he does 10-15 with Pat Dooley every week. Podcasts are great because you can skip through commercials and blather. I do the same with Shane’s Pod Up Podcast, skipping his monologues about what he didn’t watch and banter with “JC”. His good guests are usually the last 10-15 of his show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator