Truth Takes: Taming the Towson Tigers

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Although they have been two FCS schools, we have blanked two teams for the first time since 2006 when we blanked UCF and Western Carolina. I'd argue that this Towson team is better than both of those teams, but that's neither here nor there. We have faced numerous FCS teams since 2006 and have definitely allowed many to score so its not an accomplishment without merit. Towson had a pretty good scheme, appeared to be well coached, and Flacco looks like a guy under the tutelage of a NFL QB. He may not have the size of his brother, but that dude can fling it pretty well.

We did what we had to do against an overmatched team. There are some concerns coming out of this game and things to make us feel better.

Offense:
The line continues to be a mixed bag. We had some nice runs, mostly by Pierce, and which side were those 30+ runs to? The left. Don't worry, we still force it right plenty. I do like that on the first drive we ran the ball in a number of ways, even if the only reason for doing so was to put things on tape for Auburn, LSU and others to spend time studying to take time and/or reps away from other plays. For the fourth straight game we punted only once. We are 5-0 for only the third time in the last 10 seasons ('12 and '15). That's worth something. Obviously, the line is still underperforming, especially on the right side and Mullen seemed to call them out in his post game presser. I expect a short leash for Delance particularly next week.

Trask:
  1. Checkdown to Pitts for 4 yards.
  2. Corner route to Pitts for 12 yards.
  3. Short stop route to Grimes for 18 yards on the catch and run.
  4. Screen to Hammond for 5 yards.
  5. Flat route to Perine for 14 yards.
  6. Screen to Hammond for 6 yards and a first down.
  7. Slant to Pitts for 5 and a TD.
  8. 5 yard out route to Cleveland for 6 yards.
  9. Deep out to Cleveland for 32 yards.
  10. Swing to Hammond for 7 yards.
  11. Deep out to Jefferson for 11 yards.
  12. Screen to Grimes for 13 yards.
  13. Throw to Jefferson...PI called, doesn't count for stats. Honestly not sure on the throw, but will take the PI.
  14. Screen to Grimes for 6 yards. Next play was a sack to end the half. Coverage sack from what I can see.
  15. Deep comeback route to Hammond for 19 yards.
  16. Stop route to Jefferson for 5 yards.
  17. Poor throw for the first incompletion. Not sure what the play was supposed to be.
  18. High throw to Pitts on the corner route, great catch by Pitts for 7 yards and a TD.
  19. Stop route to Grimes for 8 yards.
  20. Trask misses Jefferson behind the D. Its 6 if he puts air under it.
  21. Screen to Grimes for 10 yards.
Jones:
  1. High deep throw to Copeland who makes a terrific catch for a first down and 16 yards.
  2. Dart to Cleveland for 21 on the post.
  3. Throw to Krull batted down. PI called.
  4. Throw to Zipperer on a screen for a TD. I like this play. You have Pitts and Gamble inside blocking the LB's and shoot Zipp right behind them to catch and run. This was also tighter to the line than most screens. Wouldn't be surprised to see this as a two point conversion play in the future.
  5. Short out route to Zipperer who takes it 25 yard. Good catch and good yac.
  6. Out route to Zipperer for 4 yards.
  7. Screen to Copeland, good throw to put it in front of Copeland in a direction he was going for 6 yards and a first down.
  8. DROP by Rick Wells. Good throw on a rope to a corner route.
  9. DROP by Copeland on a deep route. Jones throws too late and hangs it up a bit much. If he leads Copeland, Copeland doesn't get hit, may catch it (still remembering the costing Trask 300+ last week) and its 6.
Both QB's combine for a 24 of 28 performance for 262 yards.

Defense:
As stated above, Flacco showed he could make plenty of throws and I'm sure that Joe has helped coach Tom, who is probably one of the top 4 QB's (at this time) we will face in our regular season with Burrow and Fromm probably the top 2. We were also missing stalwarts Zuniga, Henderson and Davis together with Ventrell Miller. All of which should be back next week from what I've read and heard. I couldn't see much sign of injury for Shawn Davis, but I assume he had some small injury that we decided it would be best not to risk furthering against an outmatched opponent. The team ended with four sacks, two picks and a fumble recovery. Those numbers are pretty good. We do still need to work on some tackling. Amari Burney again lead the team in tackles and was decent in coverage.

Quick Hits
  • Shout out to the lady behind me who talked about how no one noticed it was the two minute warning and was surprised we weren't going to commercial (a play ended at the 2:00 mark in the 2nd Quarter). Also, shout out to same lady for asking my brother and I to sit during halftime so she could see the band...who played toward the student section.
  • Shout out to the law students in my section showing up late, but at least showing up. Yet undergrads still act like they have it harder than 1L's. Those undergrads have no idea.
  • Kudos to the guy whining about Trask's first incompletion who said that us wearing orange would confuse Trask going into Auburn. Because you know, Auburn hasn't worn Orange since UGA last won a National Title...Homie didn't know that, just ignorant people spouting ignorant bs.
  • Also kudos to the lady who said the DT's were finally trying when they got their second half sack...anyone on this board still thinking sacks is the biggest thing a DT does?
  • Of note, Swain still captain in street clothes, probably in the same boat as Davis.
  • Happy to see Clements make a good play on special teams. That guy will probably never be an option at RB for us barring catastrophic injuries (I could be wrong), but good to see him out there giving his all.
Around the Nation
  • Kentucky pissing me off last night. Probably cost me some money for my trip to Columbia. A win would've dropped ticket prices.
  • I like aggressiveness, but with the momentum and at home, I'm taking the game to OT if I'm UNC. Your defense has played well, could probably force a FG, then score a TD. Also, a triple option? Weak call in my opinion.
  • To be discussed later, I am VERY happy with that Auburn game. Might turn out to be wrong for me later, but for now I'm happy.
  • FSU will make a bowl this year...this is good for us.
  • A&M may actually be awful. Arky definitely is and they had a shot to win.
  • Michigan is back on track after beating the standard bearer of college football, Rutgers. Ohio State doing what they do, beat middle of the pack Big 10 teams on the road.
  • Did you know that going into yesterday Texas was 101 and Vandy about 125 (looked it up, forgot, too lazy to look) in Total D...how much of it is bad D and how much is LSU?
  • Gameday is Coming to our City...Curious on the Student's excuses for not showing up...

I will have an Auburn preview. It will be the biggest home game since last year's LSU game. Let's see if people show up and make it electric. Definitely our toughest game so far and same could be said for Auburn. Time to figure out just where we are.

Go Gators!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The run blocking is still pretty bad but Pierce at least can run through safeties many times unlike Perine this season. This O line is just bad at run blocking and was again yesterday. Its crazy when other FCS teams can line up and run the ball right down the middle on an FCS team with their RBs and we can't ourselves.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Good post. I will say I believe Clement is a good RB but caught in a bad spot. All 3 ahead of him are better and more experienced but I still like Clement a lot.

This game was a mirror image of the UTM game. Only 1 score in the 1st qtr, only 17-0 at the half, high percentage conservative short passing game, and defense allowing their offense to stay on the field too much.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Trask did well and broke the record for consecutive passes completed. However, he needs to calibrate his internal clock in the pocket.

Moon was out of position 2-3 times (overly aggressive) early in the game that allowed Towson to keep the drive alive. Also, tackling was sloppy again.

Happy for the win, but we can't make those mistakes vs the barn. Hopefully, the return of Z and CJ will help us put pressure on nix. That's probably our best chance of slowing them down.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I didn’t like 13. Good corner turns around picks it. Too far inside, our WR never had a chance.

Glad Jones got to toss it yesterday. Shows other teams he’s a threat to throw when he’s in.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like UNC going for 2. They are overmatched by Clemson and are going to lose to them 19 times out of 20 at least. But they have a shot to run one play and win the game. I say you gotta take that shot. Tying the game up is like starting over against a team that is better than you. You probably don't get another shot to win the game. Hated the play call. That QB looked like a fish out of water trying to run that option.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I like UNC going for 2. They are overmatched by Clemson and are going to lose to them 19 times out of 20 at least. But they have a shot to run one play and win the game. I say you gotta take that shot. Tying the game up is like starting over against a team that is better than you. You probably don't get another shot to win the game. Hated the play call. That QB looked like a fish out of water trying to run that option.

It was the right choice to go for two, but the playcall was predictable. It was the same 2 pt play I saw them run in Charlotte against Duncechump and it worked. Venables was ready for it.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I think on DP first big run, it was going right or off center and was blown up. Great cut and run to daylight.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Gertrued. Good read.
Wish our OL could successfully block on both sides, so our right side has got to shape up.
I'd like to see more QB slashing runs that startle opposing Ds?
Hope Gators are at full staff versus Auburn, with Zuniga and Greenard becoming too much to handle for Auburn.
True that Auburn and UF will be playing their toughest opponent so far. Can Trask take over? Will EJ get that chance to fool Auburn's defense?
D needs to send Auburn O to sidelines with several 3 and outs.
D (Zuniga + Greenard) need to put tremendous stress in Nix. Press Nix into panic scrambles for fumbles and INTs.
Versus Auburn a pick-6 is overdue.
Give Trask all the time he wants safely in our pocket.
Grow Gators! This win will really credit us. Let's tidy up the Top-10.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

Brown must have had a senior moment and forgot Vince Young isn’t his QB anymore

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Great analysis as always @GatorTruth133 Couple of thoughts to add. I was sitting in the south end zone, lower section, straight down from the Gator bench. So while my view of all the stands was partially blocked, I too saw a lot of empty student seats. To be fair tho, there were a lot of empty seats in general! (Hey, it was Towson.). Hanging above our seats were TVs and right before Trask’s first incompletion, there was a graphic noting that his his previous completion had set a UF record for consecutive completions. Just as I was pointing it out to Mrs. G, he threw incomplete. She blamed me for jinxing it; I blame the guy who posted the graphic.
I spoke to my son this AM and he claimed he and his buddies stayed almost to the very end and they are all “stoked” about Gameday - I took that to mean they’re going, but will confirm later in the week.
Lastly, I’m with @Zambo on UNC going for 2. You’re unranked and have a chance to upset #1? I’d go for it every time. The play call however is a different subject.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
#17. wrong route. that one's on the receiver. coach called it out in the presser.
Why is it good for us for F$U to go bowling?

keeping WiLLLLLLLie around of course

^^^That...Sorry, I didn't explain further. Also, Mullen as the QB guy will blame the WR's and I'm sure they, since they all went screen, would blame QB.

Good post. I will say I believe Clement is a good RB but caught in a bad spot. All 3 ahead of him are better and more experienced but I still like Clement a lot.

Yep. Clement is a good kid from what I've seen, even doing work at Safety last season for depth purposes. He is stuck in a good group that may see better players added.

The run blocking is still pretty bad but Pierce at least can run through safeties many times unlike Perine this season. This O line is just bad at run blocking and was again yesterday. Its crazy when other FCS teams can line up and run the ball right down the middle on an FCS team with their RBs and we can't ourselves.

What is funny is that the left side is alright, but we like to try and force it right. Also, it seems like the backs have it forced into their heads to hit the hole that is scripted, even though cut backs and things are open. Pierce broke from this and had a 30+ run yesterday. This is the only explanation for them missing some holes that do appear (not that its a lot, but enough to make note). Seriously though, go watch UT or Towson and just watch the difference between runs left and runs right.

Tying the game up is like starting over against a team that is better than you. You probably don't get another shot to win the game.

Game goes to OT, I think the way their defense had played and the offenses momentum could have lead to a win. I think its a matter of preference. Me, I'd play it to the third OT if necessary, but I know why people would be aggressive.

NC tried a triple option?

There is a "fake" to a back hitting in between the tackles (1), then the QB (2), and the back who goes along the QB and ends with the ball (3). I can only assume (1) could have got the ball based on the read. It was a poor fake to draw the D in and no one was fooled. If the first LB crashes, QB may get in.

I think on DP first big run, it was going right or off center and was blown up. Great cut and run to daylight.

Yep, the left side had blown their guys off the ball. Heggie and Forsythe are much more along than Bleach and Delaynce.

Thanks Gertrued. Good read.
Wish our OL could successfully block on both sides, so our right side has got to shape up.
I'd like to see more QB slashing runs that startle opposing Ds?
Hope Gators are at full staff versus Auburn, with Zuniga and Greenard becoming too much to handle for Auburn.
True that Auburn and UF will be playing their toughest opponent so far. Can Trask take over? Will EJ get that chance to fool Auburn's defense?
D needs to send Auburn O to sidelines with several 3 and outs.
D (Zuniga + Greenard) need to put tremendous stress in Nix. Press Nix into panic scrambles for fumbles and INTs.
Versus Auburn a pick-6 is overdue.
Give Trask all the time he wants safely in our pocket.
Grow Gators! This win will really credit us. Let's tidy up the Top-10.

My greatest fear, which I put elsewhere is Trask shows he can throw for 400+, but Mullen sticks to his "we need to call it balanced" BS. For the record, IDGAF if we throw 50 times and run 2 times if it works through the air and vice versa.

Great analysis as always @GatorTruth133 Couple of thoughts to add. I was sitting in the south end zone, lower section, straight down from the Gator bench. So while my view of all the stands was partially blocked, I too saw a lot of empty student seats. To be fair tho, there were a lot of empty seats in general! (Hey, it was Towson.). Hanging above our seats were TVs and right before Trask’s first incompletion, there was a graphic noting that his his previous completion had set a UF record for consecutive completions. Just as I was pointing it out to Mrs. G, he threw incomplete. She blamed me for jinxing it; I blame the guy who posted the graphic.
I spoke to my son this AM and he claimed he and his buddies stayed almost to the very end and they are all “stoked” about Gameday - I took that to mean they’re going, but will confirm later in the week.
Lastly, I’m with @Zambo on UNC going for 2. You’re unranked and have a chance to upset #1? I’d go for it every time. The play call however is a different subject.

I get the Towson excuse, I do, and I know the 90's and 00's aren't coming back, but then again, maybe the success could come back with the same support...IDK. Anyways, My ire with that is also the students, and this has happened on Twitter, who talk like no one knows what their life is like. They are the only people to have homework, they are the only students to ever work while in school, and how could we dare think we have had the same experience.

Maybe it bothers me because in undergrad (at UCF, granted...different discussion for another day), I worked 40+ hours, commuted 30+ to work over 45+ to UCF, had days where between work and school I was gone 4:30 AM until 11:00 PM just to get up and do it again, and I didn't miss a game and did some away games (all UF). Oh, and that was 4 15 credit hour semesters and a 12 hour summer semester. I don't say that for any reason other than the whiners that can't believe it is possible to work 20 hours, have 12 credit hours, and still make it to a football game (for clarity, these are things that have been said on Twitter and aren't some random straw man I've made up AND these were from students who have season tickets. I'm not saying anything about the international student who doesn't know a thing about football). Oh, and I then made it into UF Law.

Side note, I am thinking about getting seats in the lower South Endzone, how were they? As my brother's family grows, I might be getting my own tickets to open up our family tickets for some of his family.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
^^^That...Sorry, I didn't explain further. Also, Mullen as the QB guy will blame the WR's and I'm sure they, since they all went screen, would blame QB.

Yep. Clement is a good kid from what I've seen, even doing work at Safety last season for depth purposes. He is stuck in a good group that may see better players added.

What is funny is that the left side is alright, but we like to try and force it right. Also, it seems like the backs have it forced into their heads to hit the hole that is scripted, even though cut backs and things are open. Pierce broke from this and had a 30+ run yesterday. This is the only explanation for them missing some holes that do appear (not that its a lot, but enough to make note). Seriously though, go watch UT or Towson and just watch the difference between runs left and runs right.

Game goes to OT, I think the way their defense had played and the offenses momentum could have lead to a win. I think its a matter of preference. Me, I'd play it to the third OT if necessary, but I know why people would be aggressive.

There is a "fake" to a back hitting in between the tackles (1), then the QB (2), and the back who goes along the QB and ends with the ball (3). I can only assume (1) could have got the ball based on the read. It was a poor fake to draw the D in and no one was fooled. If the first LB crashes, QB may get in.

Yep, the left side had blown their guys off the ball. Heggie and Forsythe are much more along than Bleach and Delaynce.

My greatest fear, which I put elsewhere is Trask shows he can throw for 400+, but Mullen sticks to his "we need to call it balanced" BS. For the record, IDGAF if we throw 50 times and run 2 times if it works through the air and vice versa.

I get the Towson excuse, I do, and I know the 90's and 00's aren't coming back, but then again, maybe the success could come back with the same support...IDK. Anyways, My ire with that is also the students, and this has happened on Twitter, who talk like no one knows what their life is like. They are the only people to have homework, they are the only students to ever work while in school, and how could we dare think we have had the same experience.

Maybe it bothers me because in undergrad (at UCF, granted...different discussion for another day), I worked 40+ hours, commuted 30+ to work over 45+ to UCF, had days where between work and school I was gone 4:30 AM until 11:00 PM just to get up and do it again, and I didn't miss a game and did some away games (all UF). Oh, and that was 4 15 credit hour semesters and a 12 hour summer semester. I don't say that for any reason other than the whiners that can't believe it is possible to work 20 hours, have 12 credit hours, and still make it to a football game (for clarity, these are things that have been said on Twitter and aren't some random straw man I've made up AND these were from students who have season tickets. I'm not saying anything about the international student who doesn't know a thing about football). Oh, and I then made it into UF Law.

Side note, I am thinking about getting seats in the lower South Endzone, how were they? As my brother's family grows, I might be getting my own tickets to open up our family tickets for some of his family.
The seats were great, though it is of course a different angle than a lot of folks are used to. Being in the lowest level had the advantage of having TVs so it was easy to see the replays. We were close enough to the concourse to feel the effects of the fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator