Truth Takes: Utah Review 2023

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Hey guys, sorry for the delay, but it has been a busy time in Utah.

I thought the Utah fans were great overall, even though I somehow ended up with the 3 awful Utah fans in my row. Including one who did his best Vandy baseball whistler impression throughout the game. Why? Because some students flipped him off in Gainesville last year and he wanted Gator fans who weren’t involved to know her pain.

The offense was a mixed bag. It was nice to see a Billy QB throw for over 300 yards, but just like last year when we did that, we lost and did so because we couldn’t run the ball. I feared the OL would be a regression and they were. Yes, Kingsley would’ve been better, but George getting beat and others are not helping. If you take away Mertz’s yards and the kneel at the end of the half we had 12 carries for 43 yards, 3.58 ypc. Why did we abandon the run? My guess is that if you take away a Tre Wilson 9 yarder it is barely 3 yards a carry and Billy knew the OL wouldn’t take on Utah’s front 7 well even after they lost Reid. I know I’ve been told I’m crazy, but calling outside runs to the short side of the field seem to not be as productive as those to the wide side.

We threw 10 passes that went for 5 yards or less. Again, that’s not balls that traveled less than 5 yards, that’s completions that went less than 5 yards. That’s 1/3 of the 31 completions. Throwing Zanders a shovel pass or throwing screens on 4th and long (literally the last offensive play that was incomplete) are not exactly great playcalls. However, like with AR, there were some great throws by Mertz. Unfortunately, there weren’t many spectacular runs or avoidance of sacks. I was happy to see some catches made to help the QB, didn’t see that much last year. The most notable one was the touchdown catch where Douglas went up and grabbed the ball out of the air on a contested ball.

The defense did alright. No sacks was surprising and although an argument could be made they only gave up 10 points (the INT and stop nullified by the two #3’s issue), I think there was still opportunity to get a stop after the penalty. A question has to be asked if they would have done as well had Kuithe and Rising played. A lot of people said we were winning by multiple scores after their injuries were announced. Now, I wonder how many of those are even asking the question of how bad would it have been had Rising and Kuithe played.

We only gave up 270 yards, but when you give up 24 points and the offense can’t score a TD until down by 3 scores. The first TD was a safety error. I know some have attributed it to Jason Marshall, but each time I’ve seen the play whether live or on replay it looks like he is playing outside leverage to a safety in Cover 1. RJ Moten reacts too early to one route and breaks the main rule of safeties, don’t let anyone behind you. If he doesn’t let Parks behind him, I don’t believe that ball is complete.

I am impressed we limited their RB Jackson to 3 ypc after he had gone off late in the season with several 6+ ypc games. Shemar James and TJ Searcy looked good. I am hoping our run defense continues to improve. Even in the loss, this defense took a step forward holding the Utes to just 3 conversions on 13 attempts on 3rd down. Again, maybe that looks different with Rising and Kuithe, but we were atrocious on 3rd down against all sorts of teams last season (Eastern Washington was almost 50% at 8-18). It is good we held someone under 25%.

I know, why am I being more positive than focusing on the negatives in this game so far? Well, because now we have to talk about things we were told would happen and things that didn’t happen. We were told that this team would play disciplined ball. 9 penalties, many that killed drives, determines that we did not see that. You can be disciplined and lose, I think we have a decent argument to say we lost because we were not disciplined. We were told we would be detail oriented, we were not detail oriented because if we were, you do not have Marshall and Wilson on the field at the same time.

I think some of the playcalling was questionable, and have alluded to above. When you’re not running well and still try a draw on 3rd and 10, that’s bad. When it’s 4th and 14, game on the line, and you call a screen pass, and not just a screen pass, but a screen to a guy not named Pearsall or Wilson. And before we hit the OL was bad and that’s why we did it explanation, we did the exact same thing last year on a key 3rd down at the beginning of the game winning TD drive to Henderson. Henderson just made a guy miss and barely got the first. There are others, but some things that leave questions.

Another one is time management. We really haven’t seem a team play too fast under Billy if it isn’t under 2 minutes to go and we can talk about that 4+ minute drive with no urgency at the end, but I have a play microcosm. At the end of the first half, we get Utah to 4th down and call a timeout. We wait 8-9 seconds to call a timeout. If you’re going to try to make something happen with your two remaining timeouts, call it immediately. If you are putting all the eggs into a return (which it looked like we did), drain the clock to 3 seconds, maybe to 10 if you’re hoping for a return to FG range. Why 15-20 seconds in case we somehow give Utah the ball? Also, why not try to block the punt? A punt block attempt requires more blockers, more blockers mean less people getting downfield which means more space initially for the return man. It wasn’t the most crucial play, but one I think that makes me wonder about the thought process. If you do the little things well, you’ll do the big things well and coaching wise, it looks like we are doing neither.

Also, where were Jean and Mizell? Where was Boardingham?

I’m not going to overreact and say fire this coach or openly wonder why we have 2 OL coaches who only have 1 top 900 recruit committed and then put that product on the field. However, we will see if this is an anomaly as a first game on the road or if this is the latest signs of problems. We are going to learn a lot about Napier and his process after this game that was not as close as the score indicates facing a team that was on it’s 3rd/4th string QB’s and lost one of their best defensive players.

It is not time to hit the panic button, but this also isn’t a free pass. McNeese St. will not tell us anything unless its bad (which I said in the pre-season).

To end on a positive note, after Livingston fell on 3rd down on our last full drive before the half, Napier gave him encouraging words and had him lead the team onto the field in the second half. Not sure if that was mentioned by anyone or on the broadcast, but I saw it from my seats. I love Napier off the field, now it is time to see it on the field.

Go Gators!

The Lateral Move

Oct 9, 2018
Yeah I think the thing that's most upsetting to me is that EVEN WITH significant improvement we're still just going from **** to suck

As in we're going from a 3-9 result to a 5-7 or 6-6

It's crazy to think that's our situation. You'd have to go back decades to find a similar situation

I guess the fight is for (hopefully) keeping that recruiting class together

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good write up. Hard to disagree with anything you listed in there. As disappointed as I was, I did see the things you were talking about. But it seems we take 2 steps forward, 3 steps back. Defense actually tackles, plays in position (although getting burned on the first play, and yes that's on Moten), but we cannot avoid stupid mental mistakes. A handful of plays really determined this game. But on the road, against formidable opponent, with a young team, you cannot make those mistakes and have a very small margin of error.

Yes for sure, this week will not tell us anything unless we shyt the bed. But this young team need the reps. Billy better start analyzing some of the bone head decisions. We really won't know anything more until 2 weeks from now. Not pulling the panic lever yet, but lets just say I am starting to lean from optimistic to suspiciously skeptical. Really like Billy, but tired of the talk and analysis. We need to see some action behind the words.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Pretty good analysis.

Wins and losses matter, but at this point in the rebuild, the product on the field matters more. If we had lost a close, competitive game on some fluke play, that would’ve been one thing. We didn’t look like we deserved to be on the same field with them.

The one saving grace is that there is a ton of football left to play this season. Billy could gain some traction with a win in the swamp on the 16th. I watched plenty of football Thursday, Friday and yesterday. Kentucky, Missouri, SC, Vandy and even Tennessee and Ugay didn’t look like world beaters. Granted, they still all looked a helluva lot better than we did the other night.

Last year’s Utah game was Napier’s highlight, let’s hope that was this season’s lowlight.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
The timeout before half was to avoid letting Utah attempt a Hail Mary. Utah was never going to punt in that situation. Now why did Napier wait till like 15 seconds to go in the half to call timeout instead of calling it at 30 seconds? I think we know why at this point, after seeing so many blunders on time management he’s had now through 14 games. Would having an extra 15–20 seconds in that scenario have made any difference with Billy’s play calling the other night? Doubtful.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Always enjoy your writeups, but I'm just struggling to see any positives out of this. Thanks for trying though.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You called it like you saw it!

Thanks

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I guess the fight is for (hopefully) keeping that recruiting class together
This. I would also say that Billy seemed to be hesitant when discussing the offense in the press conference today. Also, sorry for the late reply, vacationing around Utah without much service and that 4ish hour drive from Zion to Farmington has kept me off the site much.
Always enjoy your writeups, but I'm just struggling to see any positives out of this. Thanks for trying though.

I can be a contrarian at times, not to be a dick, but sometimes its showing where issues may be when things are good and sometimes trying to find silver linings in the bad.

The way I see it is I think waiting to see our end w/l with the general 7 wins for an acceptable season sentiment and go from there. This might be a game that changes mentality of players and coaches. This might just be another cautionary step in the journey.
The timeout before half was to avoid letting Utah attempt a Hail Mary. Utah was never going to punt in that situation. Now why did Napier wait till like 15 seconds to go in the half to call timeout instead of calling it at 30 seconds? I think we know why at this point, after seeing so many blunders on time management he’s had now through 14 games. Would having an extra 15–20 seconds in that scenario have made any difference with Billy’s play calling the other night? Doubtful.
Would it have made any difference? No. I think the point is the clock management. But I also don't see why you wouldn't go big for a block or something. We should also keep in mind that this is with Utah receiving the ball to start the second half. Why not try something of our own when down and they get the ball?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.