Truth Takes: Vandy Review 2023

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
On Saturday the Gators beat Vandy 38-14 in a game that wasn't always pretty and was very close to being tied 14-14 before the Gators final drive of the half. Slev said on X to blame him for turning the game on right before Vandy hit the big throw and then he turned it off and we got the goalline stand. With that said, the Gators cost me a point in pick' em (not that I'm good against the spread anyways) by covering. I thought they'd win, but like Doering, I thought that 18.5 spread was too high. Granted, had I known that Vandy team was missing as many defenders they were (still can't find a full report, but re-watch had announcers not shut up about it) and they'd lose more, I might've believed it. I wasn't sure which Vandy QB we'd get either, but I don't think that made too much of a difference.

Another solid statistical outing from Mertz with 30/36, 254 yards and 3 TD's and no INT's. Of the 35 passes charted by Pro Football Focus, (I decided not to chart on my re-watch, my bad) 30 of the 35 were less than 9 yards and 17 were behind the LOS. Still we had some great catch and runs including Boardingham having what looks to be a breakout game with 99 yards, 7 receptions and 2 TD's. Johnson had his best FBS game in a long time and Webb getting 70 yards on 4 carries shows he's capable of handling some of the load if Etienne is out for an extended time. Overall, outside of a few drives in the first half the offense did what it needed to do. I didn't hate the trick play that lead to the turnover because at least we tried something. If the ball was thrown better it's a big play. No regrets.

On defense, Vandy, with their back up QB threw for about 276, which is about their average for the season. It is worth noting about half of their passing yards came on two big plays. One was a deep ball where their true freshman receiver beat our true freshman DB, which is what it is. The other should've had a facemask call. I'm not sure why Marshall didn't run full speed after the catch, nor do I think he might've caught the receiver who had a number of steps on him after the catch, but I know its been hotly debated and I'm not interested in that debate. Overall, defense did well and allowed only 3.4 ypc. They came up with a timely fumble recovery after what would've been a 4th down conversion. Great job forcing that fumble by true freshman TJ Searcy. And great job by Kimber to make sure to get on it as it was a close call and it's better to recover a close ball than to assume a runner is down. Had it been called the runner down, it would've been upheld. Hopefully, like I said in the preview, this game brought back some of the confidence for this defense they might've lost at Kentucky

Special teams didn't have any great tragedies, but wasn't great. I saw a fair catch inside the 10, not sure why you do that. At lest nothing I can think of that were unbelievable errors that cost us badly this week.

Overall, this was Vandy and how we should beat Vandy. I was happy with that and happy with a win. What I'm not going to do, and I've seen some dance on the periphery of, is pretend like this means any problems have been solved. We saw that this offense can sometimes work against an overmatched team missing several defenders. We saw a defense give up 275 yards passing (with the caveats above) to a 2nd string Vandy QB. We saw us basically shut down a running game. There is a lot to be happy about a win on homecoming. There is also recognition that there's not much to learn from this game unless it went badly.

Next week, the real test begins in Columbia with the Gamecocks coming off of a bye. Another road test for Nape and crew in I'd say a top half of the SEC atmosphere against a 2-3 team that has 3 away from home losses against top 20 teams. That is not exactly a 2-3 that doesn't give me some pause. We will take more of that later. For now, enjoy a homecoming win and getting revenge on Vandy (boy is that phrase crappy).

Go Gators!

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
SC is sold out with the State Fair in town right across the street. Tough atmosphere.
Then we're losing that game. Those football players will be super pissed off. That fair is when their girls get all dressed up and are often sold to the highest bidder.
200.gif

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
On Saturday the Gators beat Vandy 38-14 in a game that wasn't always pretty and was very close to being tied 14-14 before the Gators final drive of the half. Slev said on X to blame him for turning the game on right before Vandy hit the big throw and then he turned it off and we got the goalline stand. With that said, the Gators cost me a point in pick' em (not that I'm good against the spread anyways) by covering. I thought they'd win, but like Doering, I thought that 18.5 spread was too high. Granted, had I known that Vandy team was missing as many defenders they were (still can't find a full report, but re-watch had announcers not shut up about it) and they'd lose more, I might've believed it. I wasn't sure which Vandy QB we'd get either, but I don't think that made too much of a difference.

Another solid statistical outing from Mertz with 30/36, 254 yards and 3 TD's and no INT's. Of the 35 passes charted by Pro Football Focus, (I decided not to chart on my re-watch, my bad) 30 of the 35 were less than 9 yards and 17 were behind the LOS. Still we had some great catch and runs including Boardingham having what looks to be a breakout game with 99 yards, 7 receptions and 2 TD's. Johnson had his best FBS game in a long time and Webb getting 70 yards on 4 carries shows he's capable of handling some of the load if Etienne is out for an extended time. Overall, outside of a few drives in the first half the offense did what it needed to do. I didn't hate the trick play that lead to the turnover because at least we tried something. If the ball was thrown better it's a big play. No regrets.

On defense, Vandy, with their back up QB threw for about 276, which is about their average for the season. It is worth noting about half of their passing yards came on two big plays. One was a deep ball where their true freshman receiver beat our true freshman DB, which is what it is. The other should've had a facemask call. I'm not sure why Marshall didn't run full speed after the catch, nor do I think he might've caught the receiver who had a number of steps on him after the catch, but I know its been hotly debated and I'm not interested in that debate. Overall, defense did well and allowed only 3.4 ypc. They came up with a timely fumble recovery after what would've been a 4th down conversion. Great job forcing that fumble by true freshman TJ Searcy. And great job by Kimber to make sure to get on it as it was a close call and it's better to recover a close ball than to assume a runner is down. Had it been called the runner down, it would've been upheld. Hopefully, like I said in the preview, this game brought back some of the confidence for this defense they might've lost at Kentucky

Special teams didn't have any great tragedies, but wasn't great. I saw a fair catch inside the 10, not sure why you do that. At lest nothing I can think of that were unbelievable errors that cost us badly this week.

Overall, this was Vandy and how we should beat Vandy. I was happy with that and happy with a win. What I'm not going to do, and I've seen some dance on the periphery of, is pretend like this means any problems have been solved. We saw that this offense can sometimes work against an overmatched team missing several defenders. We saw a defense give up 275 yards passing (with the caveats above) to a 2nd string Vandy QB. We saw us basically shut down a running game. There is a lot to be happy about a win on homecoming. There is also recognition that there's not much to learn from this game unless it went badly.

Next week, the real test begins in Columbia with the Gamecocks coming off of a bye. Another road test for Nape and crew in I'd say a top half of the SEC atmosphere against a 2-3 team that has 3 away from home losses against top 20 teams. That is not exactly a 2-3 that doesn't give me some pause. We will take more of that later. For now, enjoy a homecoming win and getting revenge on Vandy (boy is that phrase crappy).

Go Gators!
My daughter is currently living at home, but has a full time job and is going to grad school. Mrs G is currently teaching 7th grade at a hybrid Home school on Mondays and Wednesdays. So, Sunday nights are pretty much about doing whatever I feel like - for a change - and I felt like rewatching yesterday’s game!

I 100% agree with your assessment, but have one other addendum. On the option pass, by Jackson, that was intercepted, we missed a golden opportunity. Had Mertz scanned the field better he might have noticed to his right he had Pearsall and Wilson (I think) lined up with one Vandy DB covering them both. On the snap, Pearsall headed up field and Wilson (?) merely stood at the LOS. When Jackson launched his ill-fated pass, there wasn’t a Vandy defender within 25 yards of Wilson. Sigh… What could have been.

Edit: Jalen Kimber quietly had a very solid performance. He may actually be our #1 CB.

Last edited:

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
My daughter is currently living at home, but has a full time job and is going to grad school. Mrs G is currently teaching 7th grade at a hybrid Home school on Mondays and Wednesdays. So, Sunday nights are pretty much about doing whatever I feel like - for a change - and I felt like rewatching yesterday’s game!

I 100% agree with your assessment, but have one other addendum. On the option pass, by Jackson, that was intercepted, we missed a golden opportunity. Had Mertz scanned the field better he might have noticed to his right he had Pearsall and Wilson (I think) lined up with one Vandy DB covering them both. On the snap, Pearsall headed up field and Wilson (?) merely stood at the LOS. When Jackson launched his ill-fated pass, there wasn’t a Vandy defender within 25 yards of Wilson. Sigh… What could have been.

Edit: Jalen Kimber quietly had a very solid performance. He may actually be our #1 CB.
Kimber and Jackson at CB.

Thornton and Castell at Safety.

Three of the four are true freshmen.
Episode 4 Showtime GIF by Billions

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

I was screaming at Mertz from Section 43 when that play was unfolding in real time… just like all the QBs over the last 7 years, he didn’t listen to me! I’ve also noticed that it doesn’t matter what section I’m in when that happens.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Appreciate you Truth.....

4 - 2 for the 1st half of season is about where most of us thought the Gators would be. Could have been better but could have been much worse. If we could equal that record in the 2nd half, I would be happy and surprised!

At SC..... Win
Georgia .... Lose
Ark. (Home) .... Win
At LSU ..... Lose
At MO .... Lose
FSU (Home) .... Lose

2 - 4 ................. I wouldn't be surprised if it's 1 - 5 either....

.. I think we have the talent to match up with everyone except Georgia and FSU, sadly we lose the Coaching battle to everyone except SC and ARK, that's where I see the 2 wins. Too bad we have to go to SC to play... their home field advantage might be enough to get them a win, it's that close.

2nd Half Worst Record, 1 - 5 --------- Season 5 - 7

2nd Half Best Record, 3 - 3 ---------- Season 7 - 5

What will be, will be!

Go Gators!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nice review @GatorTruth133 Truth.

It was good just to see them handle this team as they should. Nothing spectacular and a few flashes here and there. And that can be expected with such a young team. Nice to see Jean get in there some and....Boardingham. He's going to be a matchup problem for teams as he continues to get more PT. It seems as if he's able to get open and another option for Mertz. Can that lead to others getting open?? Time will tell. One thing is for sure. I am all for putting Mertz in a rolling pocket. He does seem to function better that way and especially with the OL issues. I noticed Waites seems to be doing pretty well and could be pushing for more PT. If we can get Barber and Eguakin healthy would bode really well for this line.

Defense played well most of the day and considering the face mask assisted TD. But, #3 has got to shake that off and keep playing. But none the less, D played pretty good.

As you say this in no way means all the problems are fixed. With this team, it's going to be a marathon, not a sprint to correct all the issues. Guess it comes with the growth and learning at this level. As many have said, this is going to be a game by game team. I'm sure still with some head scratchers to go with it. Hoping for a better second half of the season but the schedule is tough.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
LOL we are going to get boat raced. Don't think that its lost on SC that we do not throw the ball deep. Being one dimensional is going to cause a lot more losses. JMO.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
LOL we are going to get boat raced. Don't think that its lost on SC that we do not throw the ball deep. Being one dimensional is going to cause a lot more losses. JMO.
South Carolina just lost by 3 TD's to UT, a team we "boat raced". They are 2-3 and aren't exactly a powerhouse.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
South Carolina just lost by 3 TD's to UT, a team we "boat raced". They are 2-3 and aren't exactly a powerhouse.
I wish our "home/away" schedule this year was flipped for the UK, USC, and Missouri games... I think we'd win all 3 of those at home this year... our guys gotta get better on the road/with crowd noise.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Appreciate you Truth.....

4 - 2 for the 1st half of season is about where most of us thought the Gators would be. Could have been better but could have been much worse. If we could equal that record in the 2nd half, I would be happy and surprised!

At SC..... Win
Georgia .... Lose
Ark. (Home) .... Win
At LSU ..... Lose
At MO .... Lose
FSU (Home) .... Lose
If our staff has anything to offer, we will win 2 and beat fsu at home. At this point, I'm not sure our secondary can cover fsu's receivers mostly because they spread the field and receivers are everywhere. Our DL would have to step up and help our DBs. STAFFs win games. It's not all on players. We are supposed to get better during the second half of season. If Napier continues the same mediocre offense, it likely means it's the best he and his staff can put together. If I'm a committed QB, I'm asking Napier to prove he has an offense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If our staff has anything to offer, we will win 2 and beat fsu at home. At this point, I'm not sure our secondary can cover fsu's receivers mostly because they spread the field and receivers are everywhere. Our DL would have to step up and help our DBs. STAFFs win games. It's not all on players. We are supposed to get better during the second half of season. If Napier continues the same mediocre offense, it likely means it's the best he and his staff can put together. If I'm a committed QB, I'm asking Napier to prove he has an offense.
I feel like you make the exact same post, worded slightly differently, every single time.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yeah, no.
Not sure which of my statements you disagree with. This staff should win at least two of our remaining games, and maybe fsu. Game management(staffs) does win and lose games. If this same "scheme" continues it probably is the best Napier and his brain trust can achieve, which is really mediocre. And even if he does bring in an OC, I expect him to instruct the new OC to keep it simple- within the Napier identity. Why would you expect any better at this point?

I am still pulling for 7 wins which seems a long shot if we do not win at SC. Win at SC and we can start talking about your 8 wins.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Frank Jr will pump up the revenge factor.

We’ve got to come out strong and score first.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
SC is sold out with the State Fair in town right across the street. Tough atmosphere.
Yea, fair in town means they don't have their regular RV parking, family calling an audible on travel plans.

So...in trying to not be as negative I left that out. Sitting in the south endzone I was yelling that exact issue to my brother. We didn't hate the playcall, but agreed that Mertz should recognize that and hopefully (who knows if he has this permission) can hot route.
sadly we lose the Coaching battle to everyone except SC and ARK, that's where I see the 2 wins. Too bad we have to go to SC to play... their home field advantage might be enough to get them a win, it's that close.
I'm not sold we aren't even with those coaching battles. Beamer, especially at home, has a ton of belief from the base and the team and I believe that counts for a lot. Arky has somehow improved to a top 50 defense. I was shocked win I saw that earlier. The BIG thing I've highlighted with these two games before the season is both are coming off of byes. Arky is the definition of trap game against a team with 3 one score losses and some of that without their pre-season all-SEC running back.

To your great point. I think most of us would've taken 4-2, but probably would've preferred to switch UK and UT (though rivalry purposes UT is great). We have been blessed in the first half of the schedule with hard easy hard easy hard easy hard scheduling. Now it's balls to the wall the next 6 games. We will learn a lot. I think record matters, but not getting blown out multiple times in the games we probably lose does too.

It was good just to see them handle this team as they should. Nothing spectacular and a few flashes here and there. And that can be expected with such a young team. Nice to see Jean get in there some and....Boardingham. He's going to be a matchup problem for teams as he continues to get more PT. It seems as if he's able to get open and another option for Mertz. Can that lead to others getting open?? Time will tell. One thing is for sure. I am all for putting Mertz in a rolling pocket. He does seem to function better that way and especially with the OL issues. I noticed Waites seems to be doing pretty well and could be pushing for more PT. If we can get Barber and Eguakin healthy would bode really well for this line.
My issue with doing more of the rollout is we could fall into the issue we did last year. Nape liked to put AR in that roll right (to also give a run option) a lot and it started to get shut down with no one open quite a bit. I'm for doing it some, but based on what we've seen in the offense as a whole, too much could cause issues.
I'm thinking 10 wins - we win out.
I know quoting it takes it out of context, but I really hope you aren't putting all your eggs into this basket other than it being a hope...which is a hope I think we all share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator