Tuesday Favorites….Hamburgers

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tally Ho on Harrison in town. Been there since the 50s. So good it'll make your tongue smack your forehead.
Have to tell this since you mentioned the name of the burger joint on Harrison Ave. I coached the Golf team about 20 yrs ago and 5 of the boys were little country club wild@sses. One in particular was pretty out of control and on one trip the other boys were giving him hell for bringing a girl from Tallahassee to the prom. I believe the story was that she looked like a hooker and was described as having an “aroma” akin to “old wolf (scat) and freight train smoke!” She was fondly referred to by the boys as “Tally Ho!” Thus, despite your recommendation, I’d probably steer clear of that establishment. Teenage boys… :lol:

Last edited:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
My rule for burgers is never get one at a place that doesn't ask you how you want it cooked.
"The Loop" makes a good burger, a little over the top with the charcoal at times, but a great burger. Medium rare, lettuce tomato and mayo, cheddar cheese.

Dead Dog Saloon , Murrels Inlet S.C.. Nice big, fresh and juicy burgers with home made buns.
There, I sometimes get the blackened burger with blue cheese. Daayuuummm...

Chili's and even Ale House, have a decent burger cooked medium rare with all the varieties.

In a crunch for fast food, I'm going with Whataburger. Love 5 guys too, especially, their fries.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Have to tell this since you mentioned the name of the burger joint on Harrison Ave. I coached the Golf team about 20 yrs ago and 5 of the boys were little country club wild@sses. One in particular was pretty out of control an on one trip the other boys were giving him hell for bringing a girl from Tallahassee to the prom. I believe the story was that she looked like a hooker and was described as having an “aroma” akin to “old wolf (scat) and freight train smoke!” She was fondly referred to by the boys as “Tally Ho!” Thus, despite your recommendation, I’d probably steer clear of that establishment. Teenage boys… :lol:
Your loss. It's one of the best greasy spoon burger joints you'll ever experience, and truly historic.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Your loss. It's one of the best greasy spoon burger joints you'll ever experience, and truly historic.
Upon review, I’m up on all my shots and might throw caution to the wind :lol: Got an old buddy in PC and been needing a reason to go see him and a place to break bread. “Tally Ho” might just be the place.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
5 Star Burger in Albuquerque for a great high end burger. For a unique historical experience, The Owl Restaurant in San Antonito NM. Attached to Nicky Hilton's first hotel and the place where Oppenheimer and crew would go eat while down at the Trinity site. Pictures of the Manhattan boys all over the wall.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fast food burger: In-n-Out. Easy answer. I don't think they have them back east though.

In Honolulu there is a food truck near the hotel I stay at which serves the Big Kahuna Burger. Incredible. Their Western burger is damn good too. Usually the best burgers are at these one-off places. I remember how good the burgers were at the Yuma country club. Almost drooling like Homer Simpson just thinking about it.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I know a guy who says Krystal is good if he’s hungry, it’s 2 o’clock in the morning, and he’s drunk. ( No, it’s not me.)
I know several people who would agree with this. I, fortunately, am NOT one of those...

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
90/10 fresh beef, cook the bacon, take it off the Cuisinart, cook the burgers seasoned w/ Adolph's seasoned tenderizer & Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning, Troyer's smoked mozzarella and provolone cheeses, Martin's potato roll

20240404_134319.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
90/10 fresh beef, cook the bacon, take it off the Cuisinart, cook the burgers seasoned w/ Adolph's seasoned tenderizer & Weber Gourmet Burger seasoning, Troyer's smoked mozzarella and provolone cheeses, Martin's potato roll

View attachment 68936

I’ve never even heard of this Adolph’s seasoning. May have to try that. But mostly I really just hope they have a marketing slogan something like, “I like mein with Adolph’s”, or “Worried about carbs? Get rid of the kaiser.” There are just so many opportunities.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. Terrible.
The Whataburgers out your way and where MJM came up must be different than the couple around Tallahassee and Thomasville that we’ve gone to. I’d never rate them above 5 Guys but the times we’ve gone they were still better than McD’s, BK, or Wendy’s for my bunch. The burgers we’ve gotten always had fresh lettuce, tomato, and onion and was never drowned in condiments. Comes with mustard, which is to my liking. Nowhere near lunchroom soybean burgers unless you guys had some sort of gourmet setup!

Wife took my daughter on a cross-country trip when she graduated from HS and she gave In-and-Out a good review but as you say there aren’t any of them over on this side of the country to my knowledge. So I’ll ask you…what makes them so good? And last thing, you referenced a “Big Kahuna Burger.” Who are you? Jules Winnfield?

1712334982093.gif

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Whataburgers out your way and where MJM came up must be different than the couple around Tallahassee and Thomasville that we’ve gone to. I’d never rate them above 5 Guys but the times we’ve gone they were still better than McD’s, BK, or Wendy’s for my bunch. The burgers we’ve gotten always had fresh lettuce, tomato, and onion and was never drowned in condiments. Comes with mustard, which is to my liking. Nowhere near lunchroom soybean burgers unless you guys had some sort of gourmet setup!

Wife took my daughter on a cross-country trip when she graduated from HS and she gave In-and-Out a good review but as you say there aren’t any of them over on this side of the country to my knowledge. So I’ll ask you…what makes them so good? And last thing, you referenced a “Big Kahuna Burger.” Who are you? Jules Winnfield?

View attachment 68942
I lived in Texas for 3 years and it’s the epicenter of Whataburger. Had it many times, always average at best. Probably not worse than McDonald’s or Burger King but not any better either. Just boring average fast food burger.

As for In-n-out, I think it’s good because they use fresh prime ingredients that have never been frozen. For instance the kitchen is in plain sight you can see them making the fries by taking an actual potato and pushing it through the slicer then tossing the slices right into the fryer. Same with slicing up a whole onion and tossing it into a pan to caramelize etc. All done by extremely polite kids in clean uniforms. It’s almost cult-like.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I lived in Texas for 3 years and it’s the epicenter of Whataburger. Had it many times, always average at best. Probably not worse than McDonald’s or Burger King but not any better either. Just boring average fast food burger.

As for In-n-out, I think it’s good because they use fresh prime ingredients that have never been frozen. For instance the kitchen is in plain sight you can see them making the fries by taking an actual potato and pushing it through the slicer then tossing the slices right into the fryer. Same with slicing up a whole onion and tossing it into a pan to caramelize etc. All done by extremely polite kids in clean uniforms. It’s almost cult-like.
In-n-Out sounds as if their business model is very similar to Chick-fil-a, which is a big plus in my book. Fresh cut fries are also a big positive. Makes me wish we had one in our area. Thanks for the info!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We tried In n Out in Vegas. It was good but would compare it to a Culver’s. Wouldn’t seek it out again but would agree to go back.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We tried In n Out in Vegas. It was good but would compare it to a Culver’s. Wouldn’t seek it out again but would agree to go back.
At the end of the day it’s good but still fast food with a drive thru.

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
There's a few local restaurants that serve good burgers. If you're in Palm Beach County, the burgers at Brass Ring Pub and the bacon cheeseburger at Gun Club Cafe are top-notch. Also, Gabriel's in Wellington serves a tasty burger.

I tried In-n-Out once on a trip to California and I can't see what the buzz is about. It's okay I guess, but nothing special.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Milo's and Whattaburger are both garbage. :barfaway: I haven't had In & Out. Culver's isn't great but it could save one's life if he were starving to death. Red Robin's is a flavorless "gourmet" burger that is way over-priced and a waste of time.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
1712343207056.jpeg
1712343260525.jpeg

c6trzixe6amqzz9qnho1.jpg

This is my secret marinade for burgers and steaks. It’s what our family prefers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.