Tuesday Favorites…..Holiday

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What’s your favorite holiday?

Memorial Day because it usually encompasses my birthday and it’s the start of the summer. I enjoy everything that it signifies.
Followed by Thanksgiving with the family and food.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Thanksgiving Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day in that order. For me, except for Veteran's Day and Labor Day, there are no other holidays.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I’d say July 4th for the significance and the BBQ get together - Christmas for the memories

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Memorial Day because it usually encompasses my birthday and it’s the start of the summer. I enjoy everything that it signifies.
1. Christmas. Always loved going to see the the kinfolk in LA (Lower Alabama) with my grandmama, being young married, and especially when the kids were young. One of the best ones was when my daughter was 6 she asked Santa Claus for a kitty cat during first grade and the class wish list made the local paper. So we found a kitten and a friend kept it a couple of days before Christmas. I went and picked it up after the kids went to sleep and the next morning, there was “Holly” in the den with a red bow for a collar! We had a very happy little girl! Daughter is 23 and we still have the Christmas Kitty (17)!

1a. Thanksgiving. Growing up, I always got to go deer hunting with my granddaddy Thanksgiving morning, which was always great. There’d be a couple of races with the dogs, might kill a deer, might not, but it was usually cool and we’d head home around 11:00 to get ready to go to my aunt’s house for the Thanksgiving meal. All the turkey and trimmings. We‘d fill up and then me and the cousins would play football in the yard all afternoon and make a little room for the evening meal. These days we go up to the lake with just the kids and D-Mama (my mother, 84) and have the turkey and dressing, giblet gravy, peas we put up, collards, sweet potato casserole, pumpkin and sweet potato pies. Good small group family time.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Thanksgiving. It was always at my grandparents where the trip began. Parents would get home from work Wednesday in Archer and we headed to Lakeland. They lived about 4 miles south in Medulla. On the edge of a citrus grove they owned and it bordered a swamp. Protected the fruit somewhat and the soil was rich. Thanksgiving morning grandpa and I would go to this large public park bordering the old phosphate pits where we caught speckled perch. There were many tables and grills and some covered. We would put out our signs to reserve an area. Later on most of my grandmother's people would show up along with her children and grandchildren for Thanksgiving. Lots of games and playing with cousins. Food was always amazing. Grandma made home made yeast rolls that I am still trying to master. Afterwards we headed home to watch Detroit play the Cowboys on their RCA color TV. To this day I love Thanksgiving. Always hoping it is cooler that day.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
About to enter my favorite time of the year. Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not just the fun times with family, but the slow down to life as the work year nears the end.

October - My oldest is an October birthday and loves scary movies so I finally have a buddy to watch them with now that he's old enough and my wife is hiding under a blanket to scared to watch. I always joke that its because when he was born and I was doing the nighttime feedings I had them playing in the background. Last year when he turned 10 we went through most of the Halloween movies. Waiting to see what series he chooses this year. Aside from that I love the decorations and fun. My youngest (3) is getting into the spooky stuff this year as well and loves going to Spirit to play with the animatronics. Watching them have fun trick or treating is always a high point for me.

November - Good weather, football and food. Growing up we always did the Sunday before at my grandmothers because my dad, uncle and grandfather were always hunting on Thanksgiving day. My mom and grandmother would always take us to the movies. We weren't really close with my cousins growing up (long list of reasons) but that was the one day of the year I got to see everyone and feast. Now we take turns between my parents and my wife's parents and get to see lots of family. I know it seems like a blip between Halloween and Christmas, but who doesn't look forward to the days off and the meal. It also means that I have our Christmas lights all ready to turn on the night Thanksgiving.

December - Both my wife and kids love Christmas as well. The decorations, the movies, family, etc. Work is taking it easy so there is finally a no pressure month. You have the lights, the tree, etc. My youngest has a December birthday so we celebrate that and then roll right into Christmas two weeks later. My oldest is getting harder to shop for, but man the magic my youngest still enjoys is great to be around. Christmas is probably my favorite of them all.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Thanksgiving. It was always at my grandparents where the trip began. Parents would get home from work Wednesday in Archer and we headed to Lakeland. They lived about 4 miles south in Medulla. On the edge of a citrus grove they owned and it bordered a swamp. Protected the fruit somewhat and the soil was rich and Republican. Thanksgiving morning grandpa and I would go to this large public park bordering the old phosphate pits where we caught speckled perch. There were many tables and grills and some covered. We would put out our signs to reserve an area. Later on most of my grandmother's people would show up along with her children and grandchildren for Thanksgiving. Lots of games and playing with cousins. Food was always amazing. Grandma made home made yeast rolls that I am still trying to master. Afterwards we headed home to watch Detroit play the Cowboys on their RCA color TV. To this day I love Thanksgiving. Always hoping it is cooler that day.
FIFY ;)

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
About to enter my favorite time of the year. Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not just the fun times with family, but the slow down to life as the work year nears the end.

October - My oldest is an October birthday and loves scary movies so I finally have a buddy to watch them with now that he's old enough and my wife is hiding under a blanket to scared to watch. I always joke that its because when he was born and I was doing the nighttime feedings I had them playing in the background. Last year when he turned 10 we went through most of the Halloween movies. Waiting to see what series he chooses this year. Aside from that I love the decorations and fun. My youngest (3) is getting into the spooky stuff this year as well and loves going to Spirit to play with the animatronics. Watching them have fun trick or treating is always a high point for me.

November - Good weather, football and food. Growing up we always did the Sunday before at my grandmothers because my dad, uncle and grandfather were always hunting on Thanksgiving day. My mom and grandmother would always take us to the movies. We weren't really close with my cousins growing up (long list of reasons) but that was the one day of the year I got to see everyone and feast. Now we take turns between my parents and my wife's parents and get to see lots of family. I know it seems like a blip between Halloween and Christmas, but who doesn't look forward to the days off and the meal. It also means that I have our Christmas lights all ready to turn on the night Thanksgiving.

December - Both my wife and kids love Christmas as well. The decorations, the movies, family, etc. Work is taking it easy so there is finally a no pressure month. You have the lights, the tree, etc. My youngest has a December birthday so we celebrate that and then roll right into Christmas two weeks later. My oldest is getting harder to shop for, but man the magic my youngest still enjoys is great to be around. Christmas is probably my favorite of them all.
I contend that Halloween IS NOT a holiday. If it were, all the banks, Post Office, and government offices would close on that day every year.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Thanksgiving. Always preferred it over Christmas since Christmas always seemed rushed. Thanksgiving was one day you could just chill with your kin and eat and watch football, and pray nobody showed their ass.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Thanksgiving. Always preferred it over Christmas since Christmas always seemed rushed. Thanksgiving was one day you could just chill with your kin and eat and watch football, and prayed I would not show my ass........
FIFY My mothers side was where did the praying,.......actually it was so funny we embraced it.........alcohol was always involved........

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Memorial day and Labor Day are great as bookends of the summer. But I’ve always said that they should be moved to the Friday prior to the weekend instead of Monday. A day known for grilling out, doing water activities and heavy drinking should be followed by two days of rest and recovery, not a Tuesday morning punch in the face. It completely kills the 3-day element. Convince me I’m wrong.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Memorial day and Labor Day are great as bookends of the summer. But I’ve always said that they should be moved to the Friday prior to the weekend instead of Monday. A day known for grilling out, doing water activities and heavy drinking should be followed by two days of rest and recovery, not a Tuesday morning punch in the face. It completely kills the 3-day element. Convince me I’m wrong.
You make a good argument. I’d vote for you if this was part of your platform. Could you also include Super Bowl on a Friday or Saturday too?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You make a good argument. I’d vote for you if this was part of your platform. Could you also include Super Bowl on a Friday or Saturday too?

Funny you say that. I’ve always said Saturday for that as well.

As for my presidential run, I’ve considered. There are just quite a few positions some may find a bit extreme. The sheer number of people arrested on day 1 for what some may consider minor infractions such as struggling with roundabouts, using certain cliche expressions or listening to bands like Barenaked Ladies, could be off putting. Plus I’d have to just concede an entire state after not campaigning there at all.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Funny you say that. I’ve always said Saturday for that as well.

As for my presidential run, I’ve considered. There are just quite a few positions some may find a bit extreme. The sheer number of people arrested on day 1 for what some may consider minor infractions such as struggling with roundabouts, using certain cliche expressions or listening to bands like Barenaked Ladies, could be off putting. Plus I’d have to just concede an entire state after not campaigning there at all.
I think I’m going to need to find out more about your opponents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.