Tuesday Favorites...sporting event victory

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What is your favorite all time win in a sporting event? It can be the whole game, just the moment or a play that the victory was clenched.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I probably watch this clip once a month and have for years. I was almost not at the game, but was forced to go because my parents had left me at home for the Usce trip a week or so earlier and I threw a party in their absence. So I was dragged to this game against my will.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I probably watch this clip once a month and have for years. I was almost not at the game, but was forced to go because my parents had left me at home for the Usce trip a week or so earlier and I threw a party in their absence. So I was dragged to this game against my will.

two things I love about the ending... (besides the obvious).
1. Sean's voice cracking
2. "They went 80 yards in three plays... perhaps too quickly"

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
two things I love about the ending... (besides the obvious).
1. Sean's voice cracking
2. "They went 80 yards in three plays... perhaps too quickly"

The voice cracking is my favorite part. Also, still love Green taking his chinstraps down after every big play. To this day, my favorite player celebration.

There's also something so surreal, almost prophetic about the ending. Not only did Dwayne Thomas drop an earlier interception in what would be his last game in the Swamp after being a bit of a bust throughout his career. But then he's in on the final kickoff tackle, and the camera zooms in on him afterward, almost as if they knew what was coming. And then of course the final pick. The whole ending of that game is like a story of redemption being told.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
For me it will always be John Riggins TD run on 4th and 1 in Super Bowl XVII. It was the first time a football team I rooted for actually won a championship. Don McNeal who was a pretty good player in his own right, looked like a little kid trying to tackle Riggo. For your viewing pleasure:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It was the first time a football team I rooted for actually won a championship

Similar story here... I was a Steelers fan when Bradshaw was struggling. He shared QB time with Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam. So... when they made it to their very first Super Bowl against the Vikings (1975), I was beside myself - First Super Bowl!.
I watched it over at a friend's house and their parents invited a family friend who was aggressively annoying and a Vikings fan. She talked a bunch of sh*t to my 12 year old self...

Needless to say:

F33E724D-ED3E-4E1B-A736-9450E1A2653C_4_5005_c.jpeg

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Any time that Bama accepted the NC trophy. Especially those since 2008 but to also include the 1992 NC...

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Any time that Bama accepted the NC trophy. Especially those since 2008 but to also include the 1992 NC...

The one you should be most proud of is 1941, the season where they lost to Miss St and Vanderbilt and there were several undefeated teams in the country.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
The one you should be most proud of is 1941, the season where they lost to Miss St and Vanderbilt and there were several undefeated teams in the country.
Let's just say that, not all Bama fans claim every single NC that was awarded to the school like most fans do. That one in particular, I don't recognize personally... ;) However, it is my opinion that Bama should have been awarded the NC in 1966 as they finished the year undefeated and dominated their opponent in the Sugar bowl. The NC was awarded to both Notre Dame AND Michigan State, which ended both of their seasons playing to a 10-10 tie. Michigan State was 9-0 and Notre Dame was 8-0 going into the game. Alabama finished 11-0 (6-0 SEC) and finished the season as the 3rd ranked team. Such disrespect... :facepalm: Some things just never change... ;)

Blonde Gator

Founding Member
Cynic
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well, not to be sacrilegious or anything, but I'd have to say "A Tremendous Machine".....

SecretariatBelmontCoglianese.jpg

Blonde Gator

Founding Member
Cynic
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
YES!
No comparison but I was also thinking about American Pharoah as a more recent favorite victory.

And.....how is A. Pharoah's fat little son? (For those of you who don't know, one of the first foals of American Pharoah was being pastured and retrained very close to Casa de CD & Seedy). Pics if you've got them!

As for old Secretariat, I can't think of anything more iconic....as far as I'm concerned, that horse is the GOAT of ALL GOATS! I still get chills just watching the movie, LOL.

Having said that....the other most exciting thing was this (the video quality sucks, but oh well....we know!).

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
As far as in person, being in Fulton County Stadium for the 1991 postseason, especially games 3 and 4 of the World Series, was awesome. However, awhile back, I happened to be in Raleigh for the event below, sitting on the top row of the lower deck on the opposite end of the shot. An absolute thing of beauty....

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Not even close, The Miracle on Ice for me. I was a young lad, huge hockey fan growing up in WNY, begged my dad to take me to the Olympics in Lake Placid, which he said “no damn way”! Now he regrets it still, he could’ve gotten us tix for that game also. Plus Eric Heidens dominance in the Speed Skating in those same Winter Games we could’ve have witnessed live.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
And.....how is A. Pharoah's fat little son? (For those of you who don't know, one of the first foals of American Pharoah was being pastured and retrained very close to Casa de CD & Seedy). Pics if you've got them!

First Pharoah is doing well! He’s a beast! Too bad he didn’t like the track. They are going slow with him and trying a little cross country and a few small local shows. A half brother just sold last month for $300,000 at the Keeneland sales.

FA76ED3C-24FA-475B-8FE2-8F40C1BEBBFA.jpg 7F092EF7-3C4F-4A02-90FD-6EE1C2C89023.jpeg

The neighbor across the street has brought in some expensive thoroughbreds off the track too but the one I really love is this beautiful palomino. They found him in a kill lot so no idea what his story is but he’s a companion pony now that just won the jackpot.

56491827-4A4C-433A-AC8C-3CBDACB77344.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator