UF 3rd in 2018-19 Director's Cup

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Donk just wrote a huge check to the UAA. Specified the AD should get 50% of the donation as a bonus.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Get your Director's cup t shirts...available from the same folks that brought you the back to back eastern division champs shirts under Mac.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
11th Straight year finishing with a Top 5 athletic department. The ONLY University to finish in the Top 10 in all 36 years in which these numbers have been compiled. 11 Top 10 national finishes this time around. The only SEC team to finish in the Top 10 this year. And most people viewed this as a "down" year for Gator athletics. Incredible.
Another Top 5: Florida third in Directors' Cup standings - GatorSports.com

Foley's dream realized, except we can't even out-Stanford, Stanford. Maybe a few more seasons of diverting football monies into new activities will close the gap. Sure, we may end up middle of the pack in football, and get less overall donations as a result, but Michigan would have to watch their back!

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I love having a program that is good at a lot of sports -- even proud of the water polo teams -- but football is the machine that brings all those things to life. People are starting to catch onto the financial decisions that have been made, and the time of harvest may be waning. That shouldn't happen at our school.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
What is sad is we could be winning the Directors Cup if we invested more into Football.
That's not true. The only way we can win the thing is to add more sports programs. We have 11 women's sports and 8 men's - 19 total. For compilation of the Director's Cup standings, they use the national finishes in 19 sports, which means ALL of UF programs count. Stanford, as an example has 36 sports, 20 for women, 16 for men. And so they only use the 19 sports in which they did the best and the rest don't count. Michigan has 27 teams, as does North Carolina. That's what makes Florida's high level of achievement so amazing. While the "football only" Gator fans look down on and/or dismiss the other sports at UF (except for maybe basketball), most other major universities have many more programs they support. Georgia even has 23 sports programs, Texas A&M, FSU and Tennesse 20. UCLA has 25 programs. So my position is that, yes, Florida should put a priority emphasis on the football program since it is the money-making engine that drives the train. And it has been neglected somewhat over the last 10 years or so, but that is being corrected. However, the UAA is a profit making entity and there is absolutely no reason why THE University of Florida can't have a Top 10 football team while continuing its excellence in ALL other sports as well, including adding a few more, some of which would be very inexpensive - like beach volleyball, men's soccer and lacrosse, rifle shooting, rowing, water polo. It's not an either/or scenario. Gator Nation can and should have it all and we should be proud of ALL our student-athletes.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I love having a program that is good at a lot of sports -- even proud of the water polo teams -- but football is the machine that brings all those things to life. People are starting to catch onto the financial decisions that have been made, and the time of harvest may be waning. That shouldn't happen at our school.
Florida doesn't have water polo teams. They could, at little cost, but they don't and never have.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I'm pretty sure 99% of fans would trade 1000 director cup trophies for one national championship in football.
I'm one of the 1% then, although I think there are many more of us than you think who closely follow other Gator sports in addition to football and are just as proud when one of them wins a national title as we are when the football team wins one.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I'm one of the 1% then, although I think there are many more of us than you think who closely follow other Gator sports in addition to football and are just as proud when one of them wins a national title as we are when the football team wins one.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with you feeling that way. I'm just saying you can take every die hard fan for every other sport combine them and the football fans will out number them 1000 to 1.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
However, the UAA is a profit making entity and there is absolutely no reason why THE University of Florida can't have a Top 10 football team while continuing its excellence...
Top 10 isnt good enough.

Top 10 is fourth in the SEC usually.

But we agree. We are and have always been Top 3 in alum donations and there is no excuse for all our facilties across the board being atrocious.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Ok ... lets walk this dog.

What happens if we were to invest more into football?
Florida football should have among the very best facilities in the nation and that can and should have been done without a negative effect on other sports. No one disputes the fact that football is the money making machine that drives the athletic department and allows the other sports to thrive. I think decisions have been made in the past to forego expenditures on the football program, diverting money to other sports to bring them up to quality standards. To me that was wrong thinking. UF has always had the revenue stream and ability to raise funds for capital projects for whatever it needs and there was and is no excuse for allowing football facilities to deteriorate. We could have done both and if handled properly the other sports would not have suffered.

Last edited:

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What is sad is we could be winning the Directors Cup if we invested more into Football.

Using that logic Bama and Clemson should be winning the Directors Cup every year. Funny, I can’t seem to find either one of them in the top 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator