UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I'd prefer something more subtle than the cane. Maybe a live alligator, a very hungry one, and after scoring we could throw it a live lab rat dyed the opposing team's colors.
woooooo GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think you guys might be selling DE a little short...remember he actually got Bert to throw the ball in 2015-2016 at Arky and put up their best offense pretty much ever....and who could forget when he and Bert collaborated to come up with this masterpiece. I'll bet Deet saw ol Dan draw these type plays up in the dirt as kid growing up...

That play cost OM the West that year and we’d already beaten them previously that season. So by extension that play cost us, and one James Lashaun McElwain, an SEC title as we would get smoked by Alabama instead.

So this Dan Enos, friend of Detroit or not, may want to watch his back over the next 8 months.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That play cost OM the West that year and we’d already beaten them previously that season. So by extension that play cost us, and one James Lashaun McElwain, an SEC title as we would get smoked by Alabama instead.

So this Dan Enos, friend of Detroit or not, may want to watch his back over the next 8 months.
The purpose of the following post is to hedge my position so that I can claim either "I told you so!" or "I told you so!" no matter the outcome of this hire: :lol:

Danny's family was like mine. We both fled Detroit to Dearborn (they lived in Herman Gardens, we were less than a mile away), but they left before us. Danny is a year younger than me (he's class of '86 at EFHS, I was '85). His two older brothers were class of '83 (Lorne) and '84 (Gary). Like a lot of "little brothers," Danny was the most talented athlete growing up (even though Gary and Lorne were both great multi-sport athletes). Danny was always the starting QB (and pitcher) for older age groups and started at EFHS Soph-Senior years. Gary and Lorne were OL/DL/LB type guys, and also wrestled, so I was/am much closer to them than to Danny. Gary and Lorne were also born fighters (I mean in the fist fight sense, not the dumb ass "he's a fighter" sense). Most of us were back then, especially white kids out of Detroit. Dan's a "fierce competitor" for sure, but I don't ever remember him in a fist fight, probably because Gary and Lorne were his older brothers. Dan's dad would not allow him to wrestle (even though Dan always wanted to) because he feared an injury that would ruin his QB play (and that decision obviously worked out in life). Gary and Lorne have always been (and continue to be) down to earth, genuinely nice, dudes. Dan was always a bit of a prick/prima donna (was always the "star") and really ostracized himself around the time he knew he was going to MSU. As he got older, he's pretty much made amends with everyone locally. I still talk to Gary online, Danny pretty much stays to himself (until the spat with students on twitter last year :lol: ).

So, bottom line:
  1. If Danny works out with UF (and there is no question in my mind that he can help with QBs), "Awesome! I always knew he would!"
  2. If he doesn't work out with UF: "F that prima donna prick!"
  3. Either way, I'm always going to pull for the hometown guy and hopes he can help us improve in some way, and if you don't, you suck.
Another piece of useless coaching trivia: Pat Shurmur went to school with us too (same class as Lorne), but he went to Dearborn Divine Child (Catholic) for HS because better chance for foosball scholly out of DC (same high school as Gary Danielson and Aidan Hutchinson), his little sister was in my class of '85 at Edsel Ford.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im just sad that Arky fired Enos the week before they played us and got their only SEC win of the year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The purpose of the following post is to hedge my position so that I can claim either "I told you so!" or "I told you so!" no matter the outcome of this hire: :lol:

Danny's family was like mine. We both fled Detroit to Dearborn (they lived in Herman Gardens, we were less than a mile away), but they left before us. Danny is a year younger than me (he's class of '86 at EFHS, I was '85). His two older brothers were class of '83 (Lorne) and '84 (Gary). Like a lot of "little brothers," Danny was the most talented athlete growing up (even though Gary and Lorne were both great multi-sport athletes). Danny was always the starting QB (and pitcher) for older age groups and started at EFHS Soph-Senior years. Gary and Lorne were OL/DL/LB type guys, and also wrestled, so I was/am much closer to them than to Danny. Gary and Lorne were also born fighters (I mean in the fist fight sense, not the dumb ass "he's a fighter" sense). Most of us were back then, especially white kids out of Detroit. Dan's a "fierce competitor" for sure, but I don't ever remember him in a fist fight, probably because Gary and Lorne were his older brothers. Dan's dad would not allow him to wrestle (even though Dan always wanted to) because he feared an injury that would ruin his QB play (and that decision obviously worked out in life). Gary and Lorne have always been (and continue to be) down to earth, genuinely nice, dudes. Dan was always a bit of a prick/prima donna (was always the "star") and really ostracized himself around the time he knew he was going to MSU. As he got older, he's pretty much made amends with everyone locally. I still talk to Gary online, Danny pretty much stays to himself (until the spat with students on twitter last year :lol: ).

So, bottom line:
  1. If Danny works out with UF (and there is no question in my mind that he can help with QBs), "Awesome! I always knew he would!"
  3. Either way, I'm always going to pull for the hometown guy and hopes he can help us improve in some way, and if you don't, you suck.
Another piece of useless coaching trivia: Pat Shurmur went to school with us too (same class as Lorne), but he went to Dearborn Divine Child (Catholic) for HS because better chance for foosball scholly out of DC (same high school as Gary Danielson and Aidan Hutchinson), his little sister was in my class of '85 at Edsel Ford.
Show him this thread and ask him to comment.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

So, bottom line:

Good to know and smart of you to hedge there. Makes sense.

Btw, I read that whole thing in Sally Weaver’s voice. Maybe just me.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

On a serious note watching that play brings to mind another massive failure of Muschamp by not recruiting uber talented local Alex Collins(RIP)...from NSB and I believe might have been related to Dallas Baker(?)if memory serves me correctly.....just one blunder leading to another since 2010.
Enos might have been brought in to work with Mertz as he did with Brandon Allen that year...I would say both QB's would have a similar skillset.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think you guys might be selling DE a little short...remember he actually got Bert to throw the ball in 2015-2016 at Arky and put up their best offense pretty much ever....and who could forget when he and Bert collaborated to come up with this masterpiece. I'll bet Deet saw ol Dan draw these type plays up in the dirt as kid growing up...

BTW I sent this video to Karl just so he can dial it up when we have a double digit lead coming off a safety and fantastic free kick return inside of our in state rivals 35 yard line....I'm expecting to see it in the 2nd quarter of the UCF game....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
On a serious note watching that play brings to mind another massive failure of Muschamp by not recruiting uber talented local Alex Collins(RIP)...from NSB and I believe might have been related to Dallas Baker(?)if memory serves me correctly.....just one blunder leading to another since 2010.
Enos might have been brought in to work with Mertz as he did with Brandon Allen that year...I would say both QB's would have a similar skillset.

Pretty sure Collins was from Miami and the canes were the favorite. If I remember correctly he was the one whose mom ran out crying in the announcement ceremony, or refused to sign his LOI. Something. Muschamp recruited him heavily but we already had Jones from 12 and KT in the 2013 class, so it was more Collins choosing elsewhere than us not pursuing. Anyway no idea on his potential relationship to Dallas Baker. But based on your inaccuracies up to this point, I’m gonna say they never heard of each other. :lol:

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Pretty sure Collins was from Miami and the canes were the favorite. If I remember correctly he was the one whose mom ran out crying in the announcement ceremony, or refused to sign his LOI. Something. Muschamp recruited him heavily but we already had Jones from 12 and KT in the 2013 class, so it was more Collins choosing elsewhere than us not pursuing. Anyway no idea on his potential relationship to Dallas Baker. But based on your inaccuracies up to this point, I’m gonna say they never heard of each other. :lol:
Corrected....I must have had my wires crossed with someone else. I sure I'll think of it randomly sometime after this thread is a memory.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Corrected....I must have had my wires crossed with someone else. I sure I'll think of it randomly sometime after this thread is a memory.

Well, WM did completely botch Derrick Henry(sort of local). Or maybe you’re thinking of Avantae Williams from Deland being a cousin of Lingard—who’d transferred from miami to us a year earlier—and Mullen, English and Grantham still managed to lose him to the canes on NSD. Lord knows there are plenty of disastrous stories we’ve watched play out in recent years, so we shouldn’t beat ourselves up for not getting them all straight.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
The plans for renovation of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium may need to be severely altered... word is the NCAA is planning on adapting to a new format played completely on ice.

As usual, the Germans are at the cutting edge of this revolution in sports.

Some of those guys speed around end was damn impressive to what I'm used to seeing.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m sure you will… About the same time you figure out that whole “redshirt”, “medical redshirt” deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.