UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What recruiting ranking is up? We havent landed a class higher than 15th.

This clown cant even recruit as well as Butters and Dbag Dan and they didnt bother to try.

This is exactly why idgaf about losing our sucky recruiting coordinator. We could probably just hire someone from FAU and be no worse off.
The quality of his classes is significantly better and you damn well know it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Tough to truly gauge though. The portal changes things so much. If all had stuck, yes. But the offensive jewel of 2022 is gone, the WR he chose over Gibson is gone, etc. Re-ranked, his classes would probably still be below the last two coaches. But again, those guys didn’t have the portal to deal with, so that’s a variable that changes a lot. Regardless, any uptick has been modest and not nearly what we’d expected. I think we can all agree on that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Tough to truly gauge though. The portal changes things so much. If all had stuck, yes. But the offensive jewel of 2022 is gone, the WR he chose over Gibson is gone, etc. Re-ranked, his classes would probably still be below the last two coaches. But again, those guys didn’t have the portal to deal with, so that’s a variable that changes a lot. Regardless, any uptick has been modest and not nearly what we’d expected. I think we can all agree on that.
I think you need to see a shrink about that worthless, lying Gibson kid. You bring him up at least once a week for years now. We have to get you past that one with some good therapy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Sure. If you use Gator twitter class rankings instead of real world ones.

I know you think QBs are all that matters, and we are all surprised that Cajun Taggart finally landed one, but all the scouting services have his classes ranked 14-15th for good reason.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GMAFB. Billy is a nice guy, nothing "slappable" about his face - you'd think he looked like George Clooney if we were winning.
Exactly. No onw would care if he were winning.

But we arent.

And it gets boring saying this retard cant beat Kentucky for a thousand more times.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
So far his classes have performed significantly worse. So I really dgaf what some metric says when the only one that matters (scoreboard) says we suck ass.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think you need to see a shrink about that worthless, lying Gibson kid. You bring him up at least once a week for years now. We have to get you past that one with some good therapy.

Gibson himself isn’t the point. The point is Napier showed his genius in passing up on him—a current commitment—in favor of two others. A Texas kid in Douglas who came in way less heralded, caught 5 passes, dropped 4, and then bailed back to his home state. And the 0 star kid named after the girl from Clueless who looked like he belonged as a barista at Starbucks. He was hurt 80% of the time, caught two passes and transferred in search of a third last name.

And yes, I bring him up when these matters of recruiting are discussed, because I was ripped then for thinking it showed a serious lack of intelligence by our new coach, and it turns out I was correct. It foreshadowed everything from the misplaced priorities in recruiting regions, the sticking with garbage friend assistants and the completely mishandling of the roster when it comes to snaps, ironically one of our chief complaints of the last guy. He arrogantly thinks he’s way smarter than he is. I will call that out every time.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Gibson himself isn’t the point. The point is Napier showed his genius in passing up on him—a current commitment—in favor of two others. A Texas kid in Douglas who came in way less heralded, caught 5 passes, dropped 4, and then bailed back to his home state. And the 0 star kid named after the girl from Clueless who looked like he belonged as a barista at Starbucks. He was hurt 80% of the time, caught two passes and transferred in search of a third last name.

And yes, I bring him up when these matters of recruiting are discussed, because I was ripped then for thinking it showed a serious lack of intelligence by our new coach, and it turns out I was correct. It foreshadowed everything from the misplaced priorities in recruiting regions, the sticking with garbage friend assistants and the completely mishandling of the roster when it comes to snaps, ironically one of our chief complaints of the last guy. He arrogantly thinks he’s way smarter than he is. I will call that out every time.
I think that should be “complete”… that’s all I got.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

I was messing with you.

Whatever fun that was left on this board is long gone.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The problem I see is the departures are either leaving for what they feel is a better situation, or we “fired” them and they were immediately picked up by good programs. Then, we replaced them with question marks that no one was pursuing except us. I don’t know that we’ve upgraded a single position in terms of coaching and you could argue we’ve gone backwards in several. I can commend him for doing something about the current state, but guys like Sale and Couch still being employed make it feel like a superficial, please the mob approach while not actually addressing some of the greatest areas of concern. And lastly, the 3 recent departures don’t paint a very optimistic picture. As always, I’ll be there against um in week 1 and still would be happy if he miraculously pulled this out. But I don’t think the signs point to that.
At the risk of message board immolation…

He also brought in Houston to shore up the special teams and “situational football” issues. It’s a very fair and good question as to why he didn’t simply fire Couch once he had Houston hired. But that’s a definite upgrade in areas that cost us at least 2 games last year and didn’t win any.

For the sake of discussion…

The secondary has been putrid. It’s been the weakest link in our defense. Just 3 INTs last year, and career days for just about every QB we’ve faced the last 3-4 years. Recruiting has been ok, but not elite. Raymond needed to go. Harris has a very strong resume of turnarounds and development. I think that’s an upgrade but, of course, we’ll see.

The DL has not been strong against the run and hasn’t gotten to the QB since Greenard, Zuniga and Polite. Chatman’s resume doesn’t stack up well with Spencer’s, but Spencer is 20 years older. If you look at their first 12 years, Spencer was at places like Hofstra and Villanova. Chatman has been in the NFL, SEC as well as smaller places. Hoping he’s a rising star, but it’s hope at this point.

Bateman was a real loss but took an opportunity to advance to an SEC DC position. Robert’s is a very solid on-field coach and as Armstrong’s mentor anyway can help him shore up the big play susceptibility. That’s a net gain on-field for 2024, but Bateman was also recruiting great players. Roberts has to hold that ground for the future.

A ton is riding on the offseason development going on right now. On balance, I think we’re better staffed in S&C and nutrition/development areas. But we won’t know until we see if Dez can get under 400lbs for the first time since 3rd grade, if Banks & Jackson get pushed around or if George can push anyone around or is still getting run over.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The quality is up per player. He hasn’t had the volume of players, though. Loading up the back end of classes with low 4* & 3* guys who meet your evaluation criteria is important because on average 20-25% of them will pan out to be solid to great. Say he signed 6 more per year. Out of that 18, he’d likely have 2-3 more guys contributing to the 2-deep roster.

I think he’s done that to make room for the transfer portal, or at least he’s filled those gaps from the portal. I’m not sure that’s been all that successful yet. Maybe Pup Howard makes a big difference.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I was messing with you.

Dance Off GIF by Europeana

monty python GIF

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
At the risk of message board immolation…

He also brought in Houston to shore up the special teams and “situational football” issues. It’s a very fair and good question as to why he didn’t simply fire Couch once he had Houston hired. But that’s a definite upgrade in areas that cost us at least 2 games last year and didn’t win any.

For the sake of discussion…

The secondary has been putrid. It’s been the weakest link in our defense. Just 3 INTs last year, and career days for just about every QB we’ve faced the last 3-4 years. Recruiting has been ok, but not elite. Raymond needed to go. Harris has a very strong resume of turnarounds and development. I think that’s an upgrade but, of course, we’ll see.

The DL has not been strong against the run and hasn’t gotten to the QB since Greenard, Zuniga and Polite. Chatman’s resume doesn’t stack up well with Spencer’s, but Spencer is 20 years older. If you look at their first 12 years, Spencer was at places like Hofstra and Villanova. Chatman has been in the NFL, SEC as well as smaller places. Hoping he’s a rising star, but it’s hope at this point.

Bateman was a real loss but took an opportunity to advance to an SEC DC position. Robert’s is a very solid on-field coach and as Armstrong’s mentor anyway can help him shore up the big play susceptibility. That’s a net gain on-field for 2024, but Bateman was also recruiting great players. Roberts has to hold that ground for the future.

A ton is riding on the offseason development going on right now. On balance, I think we’re better staffed in S&C and nutrition/development areas. But we won’t know until we see if Dez can get under 400lbs for the first time since 3rd grade, if Banks & Jackson get pushed around or if George can push anyone around or is still getting run over.
I really do have to admire your over the top optimism. I'm not being a smart azz when I say, it's admirable.

I honestly don't see an upgrade at any on field coach for next year. We still will not have a special teams coach or a real offensive coordinator. We will still have a glorified Grad assistant at D Coordinator.

In addition, and this is what I just can't get beyond, we could have Georgia's talent and still go 8-4 with that Fn Dunce we have at head coach. I mean, our team would still play listless, un-inspired, un-disciplined, constantly out of position, D-2 level football.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I really do have to admire your over the top optimism. I'm not being a smart azz when I say, it's admirable.

I honestly don't see an upgrade at any on field coach for next year. We still will not have a special teams coach or a real offensive coordinator. We will still have a glorified Grad assistant at D Coordinator.

In addition, and this is what I just can't get beyond, we could have Georgia's talent and still go 8-4 with that Fn Dunce we have a head coach. I mean, our team would still play listless, un-inspired, un-disciplined, constantly out of position, D-2 level football.
Guilty as charged. I’m wired that way.

He’s got to go 8-4 or better while showing competence along the way. Others have done it, notably Norvell & Drinkwitz. The schedule is daunting. But no excuses. To get there:

Must win:
scUM
Samford
at MSU
UCF
UK

Must split 3-1:
ATM
at Ut
LSU
at f$u

Shock the world?
Miss
Texas
UGA

I doubt they will do that. But I’ll cheer them through whatever comes.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

In addition, and this is what I just can't get beyond, we could have Georgia's talent and still go 8-4 with that Fn Dunce we have at head coach. I mean, our team would still play listless, un-inspired, un-disciplined, constantly out of position, D-2 level football.
Agree. Adding additional mediocre guys to help already mediocre guys isn't a net positive. And at some point when they're all essentially even in the pecking order, theres no definable leadership that the kids can identify. We have dang near 200 staffers in total and I bet nobody can actually define what anyone in that group does or is in charge of. Except tater, he calls the plays, he's made that abundantly clear. :facepalm:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was messing with you.

Too late. I’ve already scheduled four therapy sessions.

And I think most of us are having fun, just as we often had fun during the last three implosions. It’s what makes the whole process easier to get through. I saw Stapleton late last week at a function. And someone commented that he was a good guy. My first instinct, which I controlled, was to say “he’s slime”. :lol: That’s the transcending fun of this board, losses piling up or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator