UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe a product of the regime at the time, but he was a very lazy recruiter when he was here before. After the biggest recruiting game of the year, with tons of prospects on hand, he was at dinner with his wife within like an hour or so.
I guess these ex NFL position coaches can be great at developing college players but most don't like and/or arent effective at recruiting.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It appears that Will Harris is most likely the new DB coach. I know nothing about him other than the fact that he’s the assistant secondary coach for the Chargers. The NFL experience may be a plus in recruiting. If we could add him and Paltridge that might be a nice upgrade.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
It appears that Will Harris is most likely the new DB coach. I know nothing about him other than the fact that he’s the assistant secondary coach for the Chargers. The NFL experience may be a plus in recruiting. If we could add him and Paltridge that might be a nice upgrade.

Descent bio. DC experience. Hope he can croot and not teach flag football techniques. Hopefully they give him the whole secondary and stop splitting it with someone that never coached there

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I see you won't get it and it's not worth my time. If you don't understand organization culture, this isn't the place to teach you. There is a reason certain leaders fit in certain environments. Fanbases are an extension of their organizational culture, especially college fanbases. But you keep going back to just line play which is for any football team, and wins and loses... and it's more than that. Certain coaches get more leeway because of it as well, now Napier doesn't help himself with his team regressing in both seasons. But if he was more like a Florida coach he would have more leeway. He would fit more as Big 10 coach.
You dont get it dude. He isn't cultural fit because he made some poor game day coaching decisions and didnt recruit the OL or LBs. He recruited the skill player position quite well, and kinda improved the DL, but at the end of the day he left the OL sucking. Had he did that, like he said he would, he would have won at least 10 games this season and would have been a cultural fit. But he didnt and because of that he didnt have the talent to carry his boring conservative scheme to a win. Cultural fit has nothing to do with how we win, just that we win. Winning in the SEC is all about the LOS which Napier didnt fix.

Last edited:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah... no. Great question. We have a process. It's been successful for us. We are constantly evaluating and doing quality control using analytics. This is a delivery business. We have to deliver.

Maybe he should pivot to become a Dominoes delivery man.
I don't want to wait 7 years for my pizza to get delivered, thanks.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Hope these are 1 year contracts. lol

Lucius

Jan 25, 2023
Torrian Gray with the USC Gamecocks would be a much more proven recruiting commodity and probably attainable.

Will Harris is about to be 37. I wonder if Napier is trying to go younger with assistants so they are less likely to clash with a young coordinator like Armstrong.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Torrian Gray with the USC Gamecocks would be a much more proven recruiting commodity and probably attainable.

Will Harris is about to be 37. I wonder if Napier is trying to go younger with assistants so they are less likely to clash with a young coordinator like Armstrong.
Interesting question. But IF true, would show Napier boxed himself in with his previous decision to hire young and inexperienced.

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
Does anyone else find it a little strange or concerning that we haven't heard from Napsack at all in the way of an "end of season presser"? It's bad enough he let 2 defensive coaches go last week simultaneously, but hasn't commented or even addressed the season or upcoming recruiting/early signing day, etc. I don't like the silence especially considering none of the offensive coaches have been shown the door yet.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone else find it a little strange or concerning that we haven't heard from Napsack at all in the way of an "end of season presser"? It's bad enough he let 2 defensive coaches go last week simultaneously, but hasn't commented or even addressed the season or upcoming recruiting/early signing day, etc. I don't like the silence especially considering none of the offensive coaches have been shown the door yet.
I was just thinking about that. What would he say?

Hoping he's realized talk is cheap and he/his staff are focusing on recruiting, evaluating and offering in the portal. (and getting the defensive coach replacements )

GatorScott

If you ain't first, you're last
Jan 21, 2019
I was just thinking about that. What would he say?

Hoping he's realized talk is cheap and he/his staff are focusing on recruiting, evaluating and offering in the portal. (and getting the defensive coach replacements )
We didn't make a bowl game. A second straight losing season under his leadership. Step up to the podium and address the season and what you feel went wrong, needs to be addressed and what your plan of action is this off-season to get us back on a track of winning.

That's what I'd hope and expect him or any leader/coach to do considering the **** show we just saw this season. Hiding from the media and fans and current and potential players isn't the best coarse of action nor does it instill any confidence in yourself from us.

Maybe I am stupid and expect too much from the guy...

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We didn't make a bowl game. A second straight losing season under his leadership. Step up to the podium and address the season and what you feel went wrong, needs to be addressed and what your plan of action is this off-season to get us back on a track of winning.

That's what I'd hope and expect him or any leader/coach to do considering the **** show we just saw this season. Hiding from the media and fans and current and potential players isn't the best coarse of action nor does it instill any confidence in yourself from us.

Maybe I am stupid and expect too much from the guy...
He's never given us his "plan".

He's never answered the question: Where are you compared to plan? (he's been asked multiple times over the past two seasons)

He's never offered any milestones to judge against.

He's never offered any type of progress report to the fans or media.

So, regarding your last sentence ...

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.