UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

ted

Aug 24, 2019

Craig Fitzgerald
DIRECTOR OF STRENGTH AND PERFORMANCE
Biography
Craig Fitzgerald is in his first season as the Giants' director of strength and performance.

Fitzgerald joined the Giants after a two-year stint at the University of Tennessee, where he had was the director of football sports performance. In 2019, the Volunteers improved from 5-7 overall and 2-6 in the Southeastern Conference to 8-5 – including a Gator Bowl victory against Indiana – and 5-3 in the conference.

In his first season with the program in 2018, Fitzgerald's strength program helped the Vols to two upset victories over ranked opponents Auburn and Kentucky.

Prior to his tenure in Knoxville, Fitzgerald was the head strength and conditioning coach of the Houston Texans from 2014-17. He helped Houston win back-to-back AFC South division championships in 2015 and 2016, while putting together three consecutive winning seasons for the first time in franchise history (2014-16).

In Fitzgerald's first year in Houston, the Texans led the NFL with a seven-win improvement and became the sixth NFL team since 1978 to post a winning record following a season in which it won two games or less.

Fitzgerald was the leading football strength and conditioning coach at Penn State (2012-13). He revamped Penn State's training and workout facilities and developed the popular "Iron Lion" T-shirt, which directed proceeds from sales of the shirt to PSU's chapter of Uplifting Athletes, a non-profit organization that raises money and awareness for rare diseases.

His term at Penn State followed three successful seasons (2009-11) working with Steve Spurrier at the University of South Carolina. The Gamecocks won a school-record 11 games and finished in the Associated Press Top 10 for the first time in school history in his final season.

Fitzgerald was the director of strength and conditioning at Harvard from 2005-09, overseeing 41 varsity sports, including the football team that won Ivy League championships in 2007 and 2008. From 2000-05, he served as an assistant director of strength and conditioning at the University of Maryland, his alma mater. Fitzgerald was the first director of strength and conditioning at Catholic University from 1997-99, when he was also was the tight ends coach and special teams coordinator.

Fitzgerald holds the highest honor awarded in his profession, the certification of Master Strength and Conditioning Coach by the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association (CSCCa). He is also certified by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).

He was a three-year letterwinner and starting tight end for the Terrapins from 1994-96 after beginning his career as a walk-on.T

Fitzgerald and his wife, Mary, have three sons: Mac, Joe and Luke.

FITZGERALD AT A GLANCE

1997-99 Catholic University - director of strength and conditioning

1999 Arizona State University - graduate assistant strength/conditioning

2000-05 University of Maryland - asst. director of strength and conditioning

2005-09 Harvard University - director of strength and conditioning

2009-11 University of South Carolina - director of strength and conditioning

2012-13 Penn State University - director of strength and conditioning

2014-17 Houston Texans - strength and conditioning

2018-19 University of Tennessee - director of football sports performance
This is great! This may be one hire this off-season that makes the most difference. Now maybe our LOS players will actually be able to hold their ground or maybe be able to move some people around.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This is great! This may be one hire this off-season that makes the most difference. Now maybe our LOS players will actually be able to hold their ground or maybe be able to move some people around.
Well, have to wonder what previous S&C coach was failing to ask of players. They weren't required to lift weights, specific to player's strength evaluations? Our opponents had specific, tailored S&C regimens while our players were told, "come in when you want, when it suits you, do some curls, consider some squats, let me know if I can spot you if you decide to bench press"? How deficient could our program have been and how would Napier let that happen in the first place? So, we had an S&C guy that was deficient, presumably cost our player's development, perhaps a win or two, and he gets "reassigned"? First, it's on Napier to grade his coaches. Napier let it slide all season, only to reassign an inadequate coach? He should have been dismissed. Does, that he was not dismissed, suggest our assistants have contracts so he's just being reassigned temporarily or that Napier is a weak manager at the expense of the program? But nonetheless, if S&C was deficient, it's still on Napier for hiring mediocrity. Cannot get over how poor Napier's judgment seems to be.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Well, have to wonder what previous S&C coach was failing to ask of players. They weren't required to lift weights, specific to player's strength evaluations? Our opponents had specific, tailored S&C regimens while our players were told, "come in when you want, when it suits you, do some curls, consider some squats, let me know if I can spot you if you decide to bench press"? How deficient could our program have been and how would Napier let that happen in the first place? So, we had an S&C guy that was deficient, presumably cost our player's development, perhaps a win or two, and he gets "reassigned"? First, it's on Napier to grade his coaches. Napier let it slide all season, only to reassign an inadequate coach? He should have been dismissed. Does, that he was not dismissed, suggest our assistants have contracts so he's just being reassigned temporarily or that Napier is a weak manager at the expense of the program? But nonetheless, if S&C was deficient, it's still on Napier for hiring mediocrity. Cannot get over how poor Napier's judgment seems to be.
I don't think the major issue over the past 2 years has been S&C. We have a young team, so strength and stamina will come with age and reps in the weight room + consitent nutrition (theoretically).

I see a lack of fundamental techniques on both lines and the DBs. A lack of "want" and physical toughness/meaness.

That's coaching and, remains to be seen, football "character" in the players.

We've all seen, over the years, slow and/or small skinny players ball out on the field.

Can we point to any true over achievers on the field the past few years? (Ricky maybe)

S&C, at least from my viewpoint, isn't on the list of top ten issues.
(I stopped at 10 cause, well, 11 is too hard)

BN just promoted the S&C guy to "upstairs". I think BN just needed a replacement for that opening.

Last edited:

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
S&C is used to build strength, discipline and attitude, especially in the off season. We are deficient in all of those. Strength helps your technique everywhere. Pillsbury bad.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
S&C is used to build strength, discipline and attitude, especially in the off season. We are deficient in all of those. Strength helps your technique everywhere. Pillsbury bad.
We are soft, slow and weak. A new voice/direction in S&C can only help. This guys resume is as impressive as anyone BN has hired.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
There’s some guys that are beating the drum on 247 saying that Brennan Marion has started following UF coaches. I don’t think there’s any way he’s coming here. But he would be an absolute coup. Would be a fantastic OC here.

Here’s to wishing…
If that happens it would definitely move the dump meter a little towards the pump direction. I mean, the needle is way over on the dump side after how we lost games, the 24 class crumble and lack of serious movement in the portal...but...at least it shows a hint of needed changes that Napier needs to make to get things fixed.

Fitzgerald is a solid hire.

Chatman is a solid hire.

Harris...we will have to wait and see but it seems like it has to be better than the guy who didnt give a crap anymore.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If that happens it would definitely move the dump meter a little towards the pump direction. I mean, the needle is way over on the dump side after how we lost games, the 24 class crumble and lack of serious movement in the portal...but...at least it shows a hint of needed changes that Napier needs to make to get things fixed.

Chatman is a solid hire.

Harris...we will have to wait and see but it seems like it has to be better than the guy who didnt give a crap anymore.
There's not NO smoke. These are people following him....
1000003690.png

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather
I'm not gonna lie. This is me if we hire brennan

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Chatman is a solid hire.

Chatman is a solid hire????

The guys been an intern and an assistant, has never stayed anywhere longer than a year (in most cases less) and has never been anywhere where he actually recruited and developed anyone.

Seriously, he has some endorsements. But READ them. Look at what isn't being said. They are glorified LinkedIn "he's a great guy" endorsements.

He's probably a nice guy, but he's never put anyone in the NFL or had All Americans because of his tuteledge.

He may do a decent job. He may do a great job. But theres no way to tell by his past.

Not that BN is going to have anyone knocking down the door to accept a job working for a HC thats going to last 6-8 games next season.

Fitzgerald (S&C) does have a decent resume. He probably wants to move to Florida for the weather. He's no world beater though.

Harris also has a decent resume. Imo, he's the most solid hire. Recruited and developed great units at Washington. Imo, he's got the most potential. (except no ties to Florida recruiting).

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Chatman is a solid hire????

The guys been an intern and an assistant, has never stayed anywhere longer than a year (in most cases less) and has never been anywhere where he actually recruited and developed anyone.

Seriously, he has some endorsements. But READ them. Look at what isn't being said. They are glorified LinkedIn "he's a great guy" endorsements.

He's probably a nice guy, but he's never put anyone in the NFL or had All Americans because of his tuteledge.

He may do a decent job. He may do a great job. But theres no way to tell by his past.

Not that BN is going to have anyone knocking down the door to accept a job working for a HC thats going to last 6-8 games next season.

Fitzgerald (S&C) does have a decent resume. He probably wants to move to Florida for the weather. He's no world beater though.

Harris also has a decent resume. Imo, he's the most solid hire. Recruited and developed great units at Washington. Imo, he's got the most potential. (except no ties to Florida recruiting).
ok boomer

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Hmm..
Sounds like a good hire. He's a grown up and not from ULL.

He and the new S&C coach do sound good on paper.

The Gators have tapped into the NFL for new leadership in their nutrition program. Per multiple sources, the latest staff hire for Florida coach Billy Napier is Washington’s Jake Sankal, who has also a background in strength and conditioning.
Prior to joining Washington, he spent six years (2010-15) as a strength and conditioning coach with teams of the Cleveland Guardians organization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.