UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
When you hate your coach, suddenly every other team and coach are dynamos. USF are world beaters and Lane Kiffin is Vince Lombardi.

'Ol Tunaboat is so eaten up with hate he can't think rationally.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
When you hate your coach, suddenly every other team and coach are dynamos. USF are world beaters and Lane Kiffin is Vince Lombardi.

I know I’m in the minority, but I think the team struggled so badly this year because it was so young. And Covid had kids staying for 6 or 7+ years. So we were playing a bunch of teams that had grown men on them.

The kids got a lot of experience and we’re gonna be much better next year.

But, he could’ve had a much better year without stupid on the field decisions and organizational decisions like not having a special teams coach.

I also don’t have a problem with the offense. I have a problem with his playcalling. He doesn’t have a natural feel for it and it routinely stymies the offense.

Here’s what he needs to do IMO

1. Get another WR in the portal. Dike has speed but barely any production.

2. Get Tarquin back. Then both OT positions will be secured. We had no tackles on this team until we got our recent transfer. Only Barber can play it somewhat okay.

3. Move Armstrong to also coach ILBs.

4. Have Harris over CBs and safeties.

5. Hire an OC.

6. Hire a DL coach (should be happening sometime in the next week).

7. Bring in an elite CB from the portal.

8. Assign a coach to special teams.

TXgators

Nov 11, 2023
I know I’m in the minority, but I think the team struggled so badly this year because it was so young. And Covid had kids staying for 6 or 7+ years. So we were playing a bunch of teams that had grown men on them.

But, he could’ve had a much better year without stupid on the field decisions and organizational decisions like not having a special teams coach.

I also don’t have a problem with the offense. I have a problem with his playcalling. He doesn’t have a natural feel for it and it routinely stymies the offense.

2. Get Tarquin back. Then both OT positions will be secured. We had no tackles on this team until we got our recent transfer. Only Barber can play it somewhat okay.

5. Hire an OC.

Agreed. I think BN needs to hit the portal more aggressively as the team needs significant upgrade in LB and CB. We need to win on the field as a first step to be where we used to be.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

5. Hire an OC.

This is me covering your back.... LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!!!
Self Defense Fighting GIF
Self Defense Fighting GIF

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

5. Hire an OC.

@GatorJ If I didn't know any better I would swear you are reading my mind.

Spot on with everything that you put in here. Even with the Offense. I agree we have some playcalling issues for sure. But when we are scoring in the mid 30's per game, you should be winning games. PERIOD. He needs some support there to help with getting that feel of the game, OC as you state. Is he smart enough to know it, yes. Is he smart enough to correct it, we'll see.

And speaking of Tarquin.....has anyone heard anything on him? I know he left for personal reasons, family. But that would be not only a solid pickup but one that would not need a lot of acclimation to what we are doing.

You're right about that. With all that is going on in CFB right now, NIL, portal, opt outs even bowl season is going to be effed up. Can you really get a bead on these teams?? Are they really that good. Shyt, I was watching a game that had a TE as the backup QB. FFS. I would not bet on anything that happens in bowl season. Just hoping that the Nulls get violated on the 30th.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Here’s what he needs to do IMO:
5. Hire an OC.
This phukkin board has me so scared to "like" your post that it feels like my last name ends with "burg" and some short mustachioed tyrant is searching the dales for me.
And you'll surely take a beating for your "wrong" opinion.

But I feel like singing to the rafters, seeing another "idiot" in the wild, and completely agree with the bolded.

We need to come up with a secret wave in case I see you at Publix.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The kids on the field should take no blame, they were put in this position by management decisions. Most of them shouldn't have been playing this year at all.

^ biggest issue, and one I don't think will be corrected due to William's own responses when asks about them.
The biggest problem is the play-calling, but the offensive system needs tweaking

at least one
would be an upgrade
won't happen... should but won't
hopefully he is good
5. Hire an OC.
See 3.
hopefully
or more experienced depth, but we are running out of space
it has been requested of him... but the ball is in his court from my understanding.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

5. Hire an OC.

Good list. Wonder if Napier has a clue though. But why give Armstrong more responsibility when it's not clear he is capable DC? Reminds me of our situation with Napier- too much on his plate. If you thought Armstrong should be demoted- even if not possible- that seems to make more sense.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good list. Wonder if Napier has a clue though. But why give Armstrong more responsibility when it's not clear he is capable DC? Reminds me of our situation with Napier- too much on his plate. If you thought Armstrong should be demoted- even if not possible- that seems to make more sense.

I read it as demoted

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.