rOb SaLe Is ThE oC.
Leaving Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
On the other hand they’ve had some great punt and kick returners over the years and some excellent kickers. .

There is a lot more to STs than just making kicks. Of course, kick returners have been de-emphasized in modern football.

Kick block to me is the real essence of a great STs and Urban seemed like he cooked one every week. even when we didn't manage to get the block it seemed like we almost did and often affected the field goal kicker or punter. Now it seems like too much to ask for to ever see one again.

Even if Urban isnt interested in returning to coaching (I dont blame him), we should be paying him whatever amount he requests to come in and do a week or two with our coaches to explain how to actually change games with STs.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Is Billy still pretending that he didn’t screw up hiring Couch surfer and Sand Lot by bringing in older former coaches to basically do their jobs behind the scenes? I’m glad the two more experienced guys got added, but this is silly, egotistical, or both.
And we still have no on-field game coach that can count to 11.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Welp, actually, he's gonna be an off-field analyst.

"Houston will oversee the Gators special teams operation as an analyst, meaning his hiring will not require a space on the team's on-field staff."

But at least now we'll know who to blame for our 2024 Special Teams follies.
Yeah, Billy. I would much rather have an actual ST coach who can do important coaching duties during games. You know, like counting to 11.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
What's to stop an "analyst" from coaching?

And you wouldn't share any excitement if Billy brought in Patrick Mahomes.
Actually, Smarty, I was very excited when I clicked on the article to read about an actual Special Teams coach. In the very essence of the phrase, mind you.
I had visions of Brandon James slicing through defenders for another TD.
I was thinking, FINALLY!!, Billy is making the changes to be successful. Baby Steps!!
Woo hoo!!....YES!!!

Then I actually read the article.
Sad Pro Wrestling GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
How far we have fallen when we get a post about hiring a special teams ANALYST. He can't coach on field, so expect that same crap we have seen for the last 2 years.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
How far we have fallen when we get a post about hiring a special teams ANALYST. He can't coach on field, so expect that same crap we have seen for the last 2 years.
Yawn. It's a good hire whether he's a coach or an analyst.

When is the last time you were pleasured by an object or creature (living or dead) that was sexually attractive to you? You should do it again.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve waited to respond to this, trying to see both sides. I do commend the move in itself. But the more I look at it, with keeping a guy like Couch around, this is just more of the same “I know better” approach and loyalty to dead weight, and truly feels like a forced-hand move to pacify the crowd.

Also, I’ve seen the “baby steps” comment thrown out. When you’re 24+ months in, and it’s gone as it has for Napier, that’s no longer an option.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve waited to respond to this, trying to see both sides. I do commend the move in itself. But the more I look at it, with keeping a guy like Couch around, this is just more of the same “I know better” approach and loyalty to dead weight, and truly feels like a forced-hand move to pacify the crowd.
You really believe Billy Napier is doing anything to pacify the crowd at this point? I think he's locked on course and doesn't give one single **** what the fans think. Either his system will start working or it won't and he'll be gone.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How do we even try to make assigning special teams to an analyst work? Does he type up instructions every morning and hand them to a grad assistant to run the practice?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You really believe Billy Napier is doing anything to pacify the crowd at this point? I think he's locked on course and doesn't give one single **** what the fans think. Either his system will start working or it won't and he'll be gone.

No. I think if that’s the case, this was a Stricklin forcing his hand type move. That’s what I meant. SS has a lot more to lose than Napier, and not nearly the parachute.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
No. I think if that’s the case, this was a Stricklin forcing his hand type move. That’s what I meant. SS has a lot more to lose than Napier, and not nearly the parachute.
Stricklin doesn't seem like the kind of guy that has the balls to tell the coaches to do something. He comes across as afraid of his own shadow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator