UF Coaching Thread: Russ Callaway promoted to Co-OC

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Can't say. Some coaches pan out, some do not even after previous successes and perceived competence. My take on Beelly is, he has no coaching tree, not all that well respected, and for seasoned Coordinators, not a chance they have to take. He seems to go after smaller fish roe.
FIFY

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Auburn replaced Ron Roberts with DJ Durkin. Not hard to assess who got the better end of that deal.
ehhh...Ron Roberts isn't a bad hire at all for us. Technically he is replacing Bateman but definite speculation is he is coming in to take over for Armstrong and its been said that Ron will be the gameday coach calling the plays. Scoring defense last year between Auburn and aTm is pretty similar but Auburn's D last year was the only thing really going good for that team and their O put them in some really tight spots. Kinda hard to say its a win for Auburn and loss for us because its not really a good comparison. Also...Ron (and Cadillac Williams) left Auburn due to culture issues...

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Auburn replaced Ron Roberts with DJ Durkin. Not hard to assess who got the better end of that deal.
Hmmm, I will check back on that later in the fall. Roberts is not that bad of a defensive coach. Durkin has had some good defenses, but really don't see where he is that much better than Roberts for now. Maybe a push advantage UF.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
ehhh...Ron Roberts isn't a bad hire at all for us. Technically he is replacing Bateman but definite speculation is he is coming in to take over for Armstrong and its been said that Ron will be the gameday coach calling the plays. Scoring defense last year between Auburn and aTm is pretty similar but Auburn's D last year was the only thing really going good for that team and their O put them in some really tight spots. Kinda hard to say its a win for Auburn and loss for us because its not really a good comparison. Also...Ron (and Cadillac Williams) left Auburn due to culture issues...
Yes, we need help on Defense. If Simple had hired a competent DC last season we might have had a winning season. I'm glad he brought in a guy with experience. Hopefully our D plays like a team and looks well coached.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I see what you mean. DJ will give Bama and perhaps georgia some competition. If we are focused on Florida we should be okay. Nothing will help us more than our team looking like a good product, no amateur game-coaching, and a team that wins games. Napier going to be out of excuses if he blows next season. Hopefully scUM and fsu have poor seasons. Can we make the play offs?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I see what you mean. DJ will give Bama and perhaps georgia some competition. If we are focused on Florida we should be okay. Nothing will help us more than our team looking like a good product, no amateur game-coaching, and a team that wins games. Napier going to be out of excuses if he blows next season. Hopefully scUM and fsu have poor seasons. Can we make the play offs?
His best recruiting was when he was with us. Since then he’s been good, but certainly not great. Of course our new guy’s best recruit was when he flipped someone from us.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
PlayogfsI see what you mean. DJ will give Bama and perhaps georgia some competition. If we are focused on Florida we should be okay. Nothing will help us more than our team looking like a good product, no amateur game-coaching, and a team that wins games. Napier going to be out of excuses if he blows next season. Hopefully scUM and fsu have poor seasons. Can we make the play offs?
Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mehhhh.... no doubt Durkin is the better recruiter. He's been pretty hit and miss as a playcaller. Roberts has also been hit or miss. More importanly he runs the same defense schemes (even if the actually plays called are different mix) and that probably is the best choice for a coach who probably has September and October to prove he shouldnt be punted back to position coach at Ugly. Im not sure Durkin would last long enough to use those recruiting skills, but I'd always be glad to have him on staff.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I think we can be the 12th seed in the SEC

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.