UF football under NCAA investigation: Marcus Castro-Walker Fired

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
If amateurism cant be saved, then college sports is dead.

It's only a matter of time before all kinds of nefarious $$$ enters into it.

Of course, schools don't HAVE to have scholarship sports or any sports.

What about HS athletes?

They get NIL too?
They can. Think LeBron as a 17 y/o.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What about HS athletes?

They get NIL too?
Why wouldn't they? They get treated like every other HS or college student who can sign any deal they can find.

You act like the reason Billy Idiot sucks is because of NIL. It has nothing to do with it.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Everyone's favorite AD!

A pretty astute crowd. I am guessing many of those questions came from some of the degenerates that hang around here on a daily basis. For the record I did not submit any questions. One, I do not Tweeter and two I have no interest in listening to the lies and BS that Strichnine spews.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Financial inducements must be NIL, not pay for play. This is why you see so many more players appearing on podcasts or going to Habitat for Humanity or Childrens Hospitals, and no doubt getting "paid"/salary to do this. I assume they are doing commercials too but obviously I dont see Florida tv.

I'm going to assume we were pretty good on these fronts. it is the one thing that the Florida athletic department does well.

Nevertheless, fire Slingblade and Swishy Scott for cause.
I’ve not yet seen any current player on a tv commercial. I’m not in the Gainesville/Ocala media market (Tampa) but I don’t hear any on Gator related podcast ads, either. Why don’t I hear Mertz pimping Leonardo’s or State Farm?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
They are just taking what they would normally give to the University, and giving a percentage of it to the collective. it's a tax write off
I’m pretty sure collective contributions aren’t tax deductible. Advertising costs would be, of course.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Why wouldn't they? They get treated like every other HS or college student who can sign any deal they can find.

You act like the reason Billy Idiot sucks is because of NIL. It has nothing to do with it.
Two seperate issues.

If we could magically get rid of NIL and the portal, the UF UAA would still need to be gutted and BN would need to be replaced.

My issue with NIL and the portal is I truly believe it's going to kill college athletics. (irrespective of UFs ****tardness).

season 13 GIF

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
A pretty astute crowd. I am guessing many of those questions cam from some of the degenerates that hang around here on a daily basis. For the record I did not submit any questions. One, I do not Tweeter and two I have no interest in listening to the lies and BS that Strichnine spews.
I doubt a single one was from any of us. I peruse plenty of SM and the fan base is pretty much unified on stricknine and tater being the worst in our program history. The amount of vitriol and disgust with both of them is way beyond anything I've seen previously. And yet, they remain....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve not yet seen any current player on a tv commercial. I’m not in the Gainesville/Ocala media market (Tampa) but I don’t hear any on Gator related podcast ads, either. Why don’t I hear Mertz pimping Leonardo’s or State Farm?

He’s currently trying to set things up with local businesses. His reps contacted someone I know about it. Not sure if he’s getting any traction or not, but I guess that’s how it works.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I mean in relation to the TV contracts. Its a pretty lame argument to equate a 200k education over 4 years to 100 million coaches salary and a 60 million (soon to be 100 million) annual payment the school gets for having the players play. But thats fine, its your opinion and I understand people that feel this way. I have no issue with the players benefiting from that pot of money in some reasonable fashion. The problem is the NCAA did none of that.

But you might as well stop watching now, because if you follow the trendlines of this fiasco, its never going back to the "good ol'days"
I agree with you on the coaches' salaries. Dumbo's $76 million buyout was immoral. But we are going to have to agree to disagree because I still believe, as someone who put himself thru college, they are getting a hell of a value.

And as I said, I am close to checking out. This past season I must have missed 5 or 6 Florida games on TV and didn't go see one in person. In previous years, I'd get mad at the wife for planning something on Saturday during the fall. Now, it's, "sure let go, I'll catch the highlights".

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with you on the coaches' salaries. Dumbo's $76 million buyout was immoral. But we are going to have to agree to disagree because I still believe, as someone who put himself thru college, they are getting a hell of a value.

And as I said, I am close to checking out. This past season I must have missed 5 or 6 Florida games on TV and didn't go see one in person. In previous years, I'd get mad at the wife for planning something on Saturday during the fall. Now, it's, "sure let go, I'll catch the highlights".
You’d feel differently if we were winning. It’s apathy to the product that has most of us disinterested. NIL and the transfer portal are just convenient excuses for us losers.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

On the Gainesville radio, hear them on the radio all the time. Only seen a few on the actual local channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator