UF football under NCAA investigation: Marcus Castro-Walker Fired

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
He’s currently trying to set things up with local businesses. His reps contacted someone I know about it. Not sure if he’s getting any traction or not, but I guess that’s how it works.
Should we even pretend players are required even obligated to offer their NIL for pay?

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
You’d feel differently if we were winning. It’s apathy to the product that has most of us disinterested. NIL and the transfer portal are just convenient excuses for us losers.
Without a doubt the product on the field affects my apathy. But not as much as you may think. I watched Zooker, MushDwag, Shark Humper, Mullet, and Karl's first year. So that means that I sat thru 2 losing seasons in a row before my apathy got to the point that I did mind missing games in the 3rd losing season.

And if I wanted to watch professional athletes, there is already a league for that.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Without a doubt the product on the field affects my apathy. But not as much as you may think. I watched Zooker, MushDwag, Shark Humper, Mullet, and Karl's first year. So that means that I sat thru 2 losing seasons in a row before my apathy got to the point that I did mind missing games in the 3rd losing season.

And if I wanted to watch professional athletes, there is already a league for that.
The years of musical coaches and mediocre to sh*tty football has taken its toll. Like I’ve said before, I’m fortunate to have a kid that plays football and occupies our Saturdays.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I’ve not yet seen any current player on a tv commercial. I’m not in the Gainesville/Ocala media market (Tampa) but I don’t hear any on Gator related podcast ads, either. Why don’t I hear Mertz pimping Leonardo’s or State Farm?
Just a theory based on how we do everything else these days.

1706621645671.png

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
On the Gainesville radio, hear them on the radio all the time. Only seen a few on the actual local channels.
You must listen to a lot of local radio. I've heard nothing, so I'll believe they can get Lagway to agree to a spot with Dave Mayes Automotive when I hear it. All o'them bugs out of your CAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You must listen to a lot of local radio. I've heard nothing, so I'll believe they can get Lagway to agree to a spot with Dave Mayes Automotive when I hear it. All o'them bugs out of your CAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

I did a lot in the Fall. Mostly on the UF broadcasted channels is where we would hear them. The channels out of High Springs, Ocala and Williston not so much.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
doesnt look great to be firing anyone said to be near the center of the NIL related allegations. i guess we will just roll over and fall on our sword again so soy boy scottie can continue to pretend his schit dont stink.

gawd, this program is a freaking dumpster fire :facepalm:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
doesnt look great to be firing anyone said to be near the center of the NIL related allegations. i guess we will just roll over and fall on our sword again so soy boy scottie can continue to pretend his schit dont stink.

gawd, this program is a freaking dumpster fire :facepalm:

You’re totally right, but if there’s a silver lining, it’s that it’s not just us. College football is an absolute dumpster fire, and pretty much dead. All the things that were going to be so great have shockingly completely backfired and imploded an entire sport. When national sports people are talking about it, that tells you there’s some serious problems that will either get addressed(not sure how that would be possible) or will end the genre.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You’re totally right, but if there’s a silver lining, it’s that it’s not just us. College football is an absolute dumpster fire, and pretty much dead. All the things that were going to be so great have shockingly completely backfired and imploded an entire sport. When national sports people are talking about it, that tells you there’s some serious problems that will either get addressed(not sure how that would be possible) or will end the genre.
we're circling the drain

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Here’s a question. How do you fire a guy for possibly doing something that’s technically been made legal? The only thing you can’t do is explicitly make it pay-for-play. And it would have to be clearly indicated in writing, which I can’t imagine we’d do, but could totally see us most likely doing that.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s a question. How do you fire a guy for possibly doing something that’s technically been made legal? The only thing you can’t do is explicitly make it pay-for-play. And it would have to be clearly indicated in writing, which I can’t imagine we’d do, but could totally see us most likely doing that.
I could totally see us not, but still readily copping to it and offering up 2 pounds of flesh after they tell us 1 will be more than sufficient. Ain't the UAA great?

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I cannot get my head around being paid to play but University and staff not, I presume, able to create expectations in lieu of payments.

On another note, how long until players on any team start to accuse NILs of not making payments?

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
We had a lot of people trumpeting that players were getting ripped off and thus should get paid. Never mind the $200k education, the benefit of professional development, and yes, the odd bag of cash/car/etc. Well, they wanted to professionalize college sports; this is what you get.

With the court anti-trust rulings, the only way that college sports can be preserved is by a Congressional exemption to the anti-trust laws. I don't see that happening. And if by some miracle, Congress acted, there needs to be some limit on coaching salaries. Ain't no way in hell that Dumbo should have gotten a $76 million buyout. Thinking about that makes me want to retch.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We had a lot of people trumpeting that players were getting ripped off and thus should get paid. Never mind the $200k education, the benefit of professional development, and yes, the odd bag of cash/car/etc. Well, they wanted to professionalize college sports; this is what you get.

With the court anti-trust rulings, the only way that college sports can be preserved is by a Congressional exemption to the anti-trust laws. I don't see that happening. And if by some miracle, Congress acted, there needs to be some limit on coaching salaries. Ain't no way in hell that Dumbo should have gotten a $76 million buyout. Thinking about that makes me want to retch.

I think your lack of faith in current legislation is misplaced. This is one hell of a Congress we’ve got right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator