Gator Basketball UF gets first top 25 ranking under Golden

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Roll Go GIF by Carter Chevrolet

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
The Gators have an outrageous roster with a lot of potential; they have very tough players who can shoot the ball from almost anywhere, but they also have a problem with the ball handle. When they are ahead by a bunch, they forget there is another team on the court or just get lazy. They need to pass well and be aggressive for a full 40 minutes every game to make this a special season.

I love it when Gators get a 15 point lead at halftime, but then I get disappointed when they only play well enough to win the game, not win by 30. Unfortunately, that leads to more disappointment and more likely instead of winning, they load up for a long trip home on the "bus" (ala tamu).

The teams that never let up, make the good passes, and hit from the charity stripe make it deep into tournaments. I don't know whether this team has the mental toughness to play every game that way now throughout the tournaments. They have demonstrated talent as well as unselfishness and all the other qualities; now, if the Gators turn that into play from buzzer to buzzer, we could be pleasantly surprised.

The Gators have the potential; the question is: will they have the toughness to live up to it? It starts again in tuscaloosa on Wednesday.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
FTR, EJ Jarvis quit basketball about a month before the season started so I don’t think he’s a loss next year.
Yeah, he went back to Yale to get his grad degree. Too bad we used a roster spot on him and didn't manage to land a true SF. I suspect Golden wanted another body at PF without realizing how quickly Condon and Haugh would be able to contribute.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Yeah, he went back to Yale to get his grad degree. Too bad we used a roster spot on him and didn't manage to land a true SF. I suspect Golden wanted another body at PF without realizing how quickly Condon and Haugh would be able to contribute.
Haugh wasn't recruited to play PF and we miss Jarvis badly. We win a few of the games we lost if he were on the roster. Assuming Golden gets enough big bodies for next season, Haugh will be back at his natural position (SF). Condon was recruited as a project. He was a complete surprise. Although, if you watch Condon's highlights you'll notice they are unique in that they show all of his game, not just a bunch of dunks like with most big men highlights.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Haugh wasn't recruited to play PF and we miss Jarvis badly. We win a few of the games we lost if he were on the roster. Assuming Golden gets enough big bodies for next season, Haugh will be back at his natural position (SF).
I'm not so sure about this. Most of the recruiting services projected Haugh at PF. Golden has referred to him as a guy that can play both PF and SF, but really the only minutes he's been getting are at PF when Samuel is on the bench. Pretty much all of the minutes at SF are going to Richard and Kugel, and given how those guys have played this season it would seem Haugh might get some minutes there if that was his natural fit.

The way I see it, we have 4 guys splitting the minutes at C and PF, and 4 guys splitting the minutes at SF, SG and PG. If we're going to play at the pace we play, it would seem that we're going to need to figure out how to get Pullin and Clayton more rest if we want to make a deep run in the tournament.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm not so sure about this. Most of the recruiting services projected Haugh at PF. Golden has referred to him as a guy that can play both PF and SF, but really the only minutes he's been getting are at PF when Samuel is on the bench. Pretty much all of the minutes at SF are going to Richard and Kugel, and given how those guys have played this season it would seem Haugh might get some minutes there if that was his natural fit.

The way I see it, we have 4 guys splitting the minutes at C and PF, and 4 guys splitting the minutes at SF, SG and PG. If we're going to play at the pace we play, it would seem that we're going to need to figure out how to get Pullin and Clayton more rest if we want to make a deep run in the tournament.
I can't pull it up now, but Golden actually said Haugh is playing out of position due to losing Jarvis. Now, with his versatility, he may have changed his mind. But, he wasn't going to be playing PF this season. Jarvis' loss forced the issue. Personally, I think he's better suited as a Devin Robinson type than as a PF.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
FTR, EJ Jarvis quit basketball about a month before the season started so I don’t think he’s a loss next year.
Samuels and Pullin are the only meaningful seniors but these days everyone on the roster could depart so there’s no telling what the team will look like next season.
Jarvis practiced with Condon a couple days and realized he wasn't gonna play much lol

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
It'll be a tough first ranked game of the season; but this team has really dug deep over the past 8 games and put together a nice run. Best part about it is that there isn't any one "dominant" player we're relying on--pretty much every game has a different player step up to carry the team.

It's a big reason why I think we'll keep the good form going and be a tough out in the tournament.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
It'll be a tough first ranked game of the season; but this team has really dug deep over the past 8 games and put together a nice run. Best part about it is that there isn't any one "dominant" player we're relying on--pretty much every game has a different player step up to carry the team.

It's a big reason why I think we'll keep the good form going and be a tough out in the tournament.
Somewhat true but Clayton has definitely been leading the way offensively during this stretch scoring 20 plus regularly. Probably not a coincidence that his one off game was the loss to the aggies. He and Pullin are going to have to keep up their current pace to keep the streak going. Samuel is really due for a big game too since he has fallen off a little bit. I think Kugel has a big game tonight now that everyone seems to be ready for him to transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator