UF nets nine on 2018 SEC All-Conference Team

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nine Florida athletes are included on Athlon's preseason selections but none on the first team.

Toney and Ivey make the second-unit offense, and Jefferson, Wilson and Gardner-Johnson do the same on defense.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/sec-football-2018-all-conference-team

774575074e78108bba77facf79db227e.jpg

7d2755eb2a778d2367650a82212d2f61.jpg

a6411531f67a9bdeaf78677a4975546d.jpg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oops, delete. Didn't see BMF's post.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Oops, delete. Didn't see BMF's post.

You did a better job cutting and pasting!!

We have 5 OL returners and only 1 of them made a 1 thru 4 All-SEC team. It's that bad! Heggie should have been on one of the teams because he's mean as hell. Ivey shouldn't have been on anything except the All-False Start team.

Will be curious to see how the coaches team looks in July....

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
A few things that stick out to me are, Tua first team and he has only played 1 half of football.
Tommy Townsend named third team purely on his last name.
Georgia, with all the talent they have don't have many players on the list.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A few things that stick out to me are, Tua first team and he has only played 1 half of football.

Agree on Tua. Drew Lock is the best QB in the SEC.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

Agree on Tua. Drew Lock is the best QB in the SEC.

You two beat me to it regarding Tua. It’s interesting he’s 1st team and Hurts isn’t on the list at all. Don’t take that to mean I think Hurts is good or worthy of 1st team status, I don’t. But to put a guy like Tua at number 1 ahead of Drew Lock or even Fitzgerald strikes me as odd when he couldn’t/hasn’t yet beat out his own teammate makes me scratch my head. Maybe Little Nicky pulled some strings to keep Tua happy and in the fold? Just a thought.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
List doesn't impress me at all. Just some Hacks opinion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. But to put a guy like Tua at number 1 ahead of Drew Lock or even Fitzgerald strikes me as odd.

Nick Fitzgerald 1700 yards, 55% completions, 15 TDs 11 Int

Just a reminder for those of you who reside in alternate universe in which he is a good QB.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Nick Fitzgerald 1700 yards, 55% completions, 15 TDs 11 Int

Just a reminder for those of you who reside in alternate universe in which he is a good QB.

It’s more than one half of a football game, though, even if that half was in the NC game. I’m not saying Fitzgerald is the best QB in the league, rather, I find it odd that Tua is #1 when nobody even knows if he’ll finally beat out Hurts. Too premature to slot him at number one IMO. Drew Lock probably should have gotten the nod.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It’s more than one half of a football game, though, even if that half was in the NC game. I’m not saying Fitzgerald is the best QB in the league, rather, I find it odd that Tua is #1 when nobody even knows if he’ll finally beat out Hurts. Too premature to slot him at number one IMO. Drew Lock probably should have gotten the nod.

It has nothing to do w/ Fitzgerald w/ Law. By disparaging Fitzgerald he's disparaging Mullen. It goes hand-in-hand. It fits his narrative.

Given a full year, Fitzgerald likely tosses for 2100+ yards (he actually threw for 1782, so "1,800" would have been more accurate than saying "1,700"). He essentially missed 2 full games last year. He passed for 2400 the previous year (and 21 TDs, 10 INTs). After the QB play we've seen the last 9 years, I'll gladly take 2400 yards and 20 TDs. Fitzgerald is a 55% completion guy (both years similar %). If we can get 60-65% out of EJ (or whoever wins the job), chances are we see more yards, more TDs, and less INTs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Woot! Approaching Brantleydom with 2400 yards.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fitzgerald is a 55% completion guy (both years similar %). If we can get 60-65% out of EJ (or whoever wins the job), chances are we see more yards, more TDs, and less INTs.
We will get that out of EJ or Franks Im sure. 55% and 200ish yards a game is a damn low threshold.

Fitzgerald is shyt, only slightly better than a Trey Burton at QB. I say that mostly bc.....wait for it.... Fitzgerald is shyt. So are the rest of the QBs (and offenses) in the SEC.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We will get that out of EJ or Franks Im sure. 55% and 200ish yards a game is a damn low threshold.

Fitzgerald is shyt, only slightly better than a Trey Burton at QB. I say that mostly bc.....wait for it.... Fitzgerald is shyt. So are the rest of the QBs (and offenses) in the SEC.

The real question about the SEC are the defenses that good or the offenses that bad... for 10-12 teams it's the offenses are that bad. There are a few against the right competition with light it up. But most the last few years have been playing the run the running back into the back of the center and hope they get 3 yards.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The real question about the SEC are the defenses that good or the offenses that bad... for 10-12 teams it's the offenses are that bad.
The defenses are good at stopping the run. When it comes to personnel decisions like do I play a backer or dback who is tougher versus the run but struggles in pass coverage, they always choose that guy over the guy who might be better in coverage but weaker versus the run. The linemen are huge and you rotate them to overcome their endurance problems, which is why I Saban hates and tries to outlaw tempo offenses.

Saban defenses, which is essentially every defense in the SEC right now, struggle in pass coverage if the defensive line can't get pressure. Guys like Fatford, Johnny Eightball and even Freeze's goofs carved them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator