Recruiting UF offers 3-star LB

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Recruiting the very best was facilitated by having on-field performances that we and the almighty
media displayed with pride. At one time, the sports media aided in our recruiting. That's when
recruits do their own leaning our way. Then we sank down a 5-6 year sinkhole.

It's infantile tantrum to kick & scream because that magnetism has not magically appeared right-now,
:cry2:waahh, I want it now, right now or I'm gonna kidnap all semblance of hope and optimism for
such recruits not being here already. After all, this is The University of Florida; we should not have to
obey the laws of our own gravity.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I noticed none if those teams you listed play in the SEC.
No schit. We all know that Bama, FSU and OSU are doing it with high ranked classes. The point is that some are doing it without the class rank. There are a few in the SEC that are ranked as well or higher than us with less to show, like LSU, and UGA.

We rank 6th overall in this time period (tied with UGA), only trailing Bama and LSU in the SEC Yet there have been many teams in the conference fielding better teams. Also USCw has a higher average. What do they have show for it?

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Generally I would say this is a make or break year in recruiting for Mac. With a smaller class in '17, the average stars need to be in the top five. I'm not worried about the overall ranking, but a good star average should put us in the top ten easily. However, part of me says why worry about class rankings if the product on the field continues to improve? There are several teams competing at the highest level that haven't been pulling in highest of recruiting rankings...

Clemson - average class rank in the last four years 14
Oklahoma - average class rank in the last four years 14.25
Oregon - average class ranking in the last four years 17.5
Mighigan State - average rank in the last four years 29.25
Baylor - average class rank in the last four years 29
TCU - average class rank in the last four years 36.75

Florida's four average is 9.25

Class rankings aren't everything. If we are in the top 10, we should be able do well with proper development.....as long as we bring in the right guys. Player evaluation is the most important part of this process.

*Average of four years is from Rivals, ESPN and Scout rankings over last four classes ('12-'15). This did not include the '16 class as they have yet to see the field.
I'll admit your comment gives me hope but none of those teams play in the SEC and have half the schedule we do. That being said I'm not as worried about rankings as much as I am about depth. Mac's recruiting linebackers and defensive tackles like muschamp recruited quarterbacks and offensive linemen.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Yeah, but you can't really start recruiting until your fourth year as a coach. Everyone knows that new coaches won't be successful recruiting in their first three years. /pump
Yeah...I think I've heard that somewhere before :lol: However Richt & Chump 2.0 are busting that Bulls*it theory wide open! Screenshot_2016-03-27-22-52-58-1.png

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
No schit. We all know that Bama, FSU and OSU are doing it with high ranked classes. The point is that some are doing it without the class rank. There are a few in the SEC that are ranked as well or higher than us with less to show, like LSU, and UGA.

We rank 6th overall in this time period (tied with UGA), only trailing Bama and LSU in the SEC Yet there have been many teams in the conference fielding better teams. Also USCw has a higher average. What do they have show for it?
My point was, you can have lower ranked recruiting class when you play a crap schedule. It doesn't take much talent to win in conferences that only have 2 good teams like the ACC, Pac12, Big10, Big12.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My point was, you can have lower ranked recruiting class when you play a crap schedule. It doesn't take much talent to win in conferences that only have 2 good teams like the ACC, Pac12, Big10, Big12.
Yes, this is true. Fair enough. It's a valid point.

I'm just adding that you can build enough talent with recruiting classes that are outside the top 5 in overall rankings The Clemson team (avg class rank of 14) that played for the title was ever bit as talented as Bama. Saban's onside kick call saved the day for the Tide. That Clemson team would of easily won the SEC East and contended for the West title. I'm suggesting that maybe evaluation and development are more important.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
Uhh, you do realize that it's March, right? Commitments at this point mean little to nothing.

Guys...it is March...seriously

A lot will transpire over the next 10-11 months. If we have a successful season we will be fine.

Recruiting has turned into such a circus. A lot of these kids committed now will decommit/flip by signing day. I wouldn't recommend going on suicide watch or declaring a program shutdown just yet lol.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Guys...it is March...seriously

A lot will transpire over the next 10-11 months. If we have a successful season we will be fine.

Recruiting has turned into such a circus. A lot of these kids committed now will decommit/flip by signing day. I wouldn't recommend going on suicide watch or declaring a program shutdown just yet lol.
While I agree with the premise of your argument, it's still very concerning when you consider our rivals aren't having to say that. I like Mac and hope he's the answer, but he's gotta pick it up on the recruiting trail...especially on defense.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
While I agree with the premise of your argument, it's still very concerning when you consider our rivals aren't having to say that. I like Mac and hope he's the answer, but he's gotta pick it up on the recruiting trail...especially on defense.

I agree with that! I just refuse to get up in arms in March. I think summer time is when I will begin to say " wth is going on". We are getting a lot more quality visits this cycle than we were a year ago for whatever it's worth...

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
Just another rationalization. Let me know how the above works out.

So are you of the mindset that player development is not greater than a "Star Ranking"?

Not agreeing or disagreeing. Just want to be clear that I am comprehending accurately.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are taking a smaller class this year and I expect Mac to be selective about who he allows to commit this early. Can't remember where but I read a few days ago about a 3* kid who said he's a UF fan and is awaiting an offer and if he'd got one, he'd commit on the spot. We've had some big time recruits coming to campus and checking us out. We are leading or among the top 3 for some elite talent. I'm hoping for and expecting more "star power" this year with the smaller class, so we're just going to have to take a step away from the ledge and let it play out.

It's a little early yet to be freaking out. One of the sports writers was saying he'd expect UF to be sitting at about 8 or 9 pledges by summers end and thinks that's where the staff wants to be. That would amount to roughly half the class by the time the season kicks off. Assuming we field a desirable product and continue to re-shine our tarnished brand, I'd expect another 8 or so players to commit over the course of the season. Mac and company will hold a couple of schollies back for the really big fish that won't commit until NSD. Hopefully we do better with that than we have in the last six years, but in the end I'd expect he will have almost all of his class wrapped up before NSD.

It's MARCH guys... If we're still sitting at 3 recruits by summers end then by all means, go ahead and jump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator