Recruiting UF's path to a Top 10 Class (Bill Sikes article)

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Oh yeah, and dropped from #7 or #9 at ESD back to Buttersland again, where weve remained.

Because it takes more than 24 days to slog out of Buttersland.

I’m not satisfied with the current class, BTW. I’ll be happier if it gets up to top 10 and we ought to be top 5 more years than not.

I’m hopeful that the progress we’re seeing in every other aspect of the program will come into focus with recruiting. It needs to.

I’d loop that “I’ll kick your ass” speech on the Jumbotrons during visits. That’s Tebow. That’s Harvin. That’s who we want. That’s who we need.

Last edited:

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen brought in a staff of average to below average position coaches and coordinators who are abysmal recruiters... If we're to sniff the top 10 and below in recruiting Mullen will need to clean house. He claimed he knows and accepts the expectations, 24th in recruiting will not be coming close to expectations....

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Mullen brought in a staff of average to below average position coaches and coordinators who are abysmal recruiters... If we're to sniff the top 10 and below in recruiting Mullen will need to clean house. He claimed he knows and accepts the expectations, 24th in recruiting will not be coming close to expectations....
I don't know if I agree with that. I'm not saying they're elite, but Mullen & Co. have made chicken salad so far this year with a team that last year was chicken schit. Average to below-average coaches generally aren't able to do that, particularly in the SEC. Mullen's Inaugural recruiting class was pretty good for a transition class, especially against the backdrop of the McElstain years. While I'll 'd prefer us to be in better shape recruiting-wise than we are at the moment, I'll form my opinion about this staff's recruiting prowess the day after signing day.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I don't know if I agree with that. I'm not saying they're elite, but Mullen & Co. have made chicken salad so far this year with a team that last year was chicken schit. Average to below-average coaches generally aren't able to do that, particularly in the SEC. Mullen's Inaugural recruiting class was pretty good for a transition class, especially against the backdrop of the McElstain years. While I'll 'd prefer us to be in better shape recruiting-wise than we are at the moment, I'll form my opinion about this staff's recruiting prowess the day after signing day.

I agree. I never thought Mullen was a great recruiter but lets see what he does this time around.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Welcome back, MAD! Where you been?

Thanks for noticing! :lol: Technical difficulties reduced me to the role of lurker but all seems to working smoothly now so I’m able to come back out and play.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It's only November. Wake me on NSD. Geez. Overreaction?

edit: Apparently the Donk doesn't know that blue font=sarcasm. Oh well.

Last edited:

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Interesting comment regarding Chicken Salad. This is the easiest schedule we've had in about 40 years. Tennessee and halF asS U are down and we've lost two games to teams we did not expect to lose to. Kentucky pushed us around like we were a middle school team.

We're 9 games into the season and we have possibly the worst OL in the SEC for the 6th or 7th year in a row and the defense does not know where to line up sometimes. The defense lining up has gotten better but, it is amazing to me that we're 9 games into the season and the defense is unsure how and where to line up. Georgia is recruiting at a top 5 level. They did not out coach us, they lined up, with better talent and beat us. Until Mullen and staff can get back to the recruiting level we saw under Meyer we're going to be behind Georgia and definitely Bama.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Interesting comment regarding Chicken Salad. This is the easiest schedule we've had in about 40 years. Tennessee and halF asS U are down and we've lost two games to teams we did not expect to lose to. Kentucky pushed us around like we were a middle school team.

We're 9 games into the season and we have possibly the worst OL in the SEC for the 6th or 7th year in a row and the defense does not know where to line up sometimes. The defense lining up has gotten better but, it is amazing to me that we're 9 games into the season and the defense is unsure how and where to line up. Georgia is recruiting at a top 5 level. They did not out coach us, they lined up, with better talent and beat us. Until Mullen and staff can get back to the recruiting level we saw under Meyer we're going to be behind Georgia and definitely Bama.
Whoa! Easy fellow. The worst O-line in the SEC does not produce the fourth best rushing attack.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
We've been blown out by a 5-4 Missouri, snapped a 30 year winning streak to UK and got trounced by our arch rival. Not to mention Scar or Vandy choking. All the while Mullen refused to change QBs. The highlight of the year is beating an average LSU. The only reason why we're not 5-5 is because WM/Mason suck at having leads. This staff is better than Mac/WM overall at coaching but their recruiting is pathetic.
We haven't had a kid commit in months and are offering 3*s left and right.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This offensive line is by far the most improved unit on this team.
You’re crazy. As soon as the ball is snapped the QB and/or RB are facing pressure. Hevesey is terrible and Mullen constantly talks about how the OL is the weak link and needs improvement in his post game PC’s.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this clown, jhbyrd, quit this site because he knows NOTHING about football. Now, he is giving dislikes to all thread not kissing Mullen's butt.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
Let’s see this team has been sh!t for almost a decade. Two disastrous coaching hires, facilities near the bottom of the league, and we hire a third coach in 7 years. Sure we should be able to overcome all this and get a top 5 class. Before people bring up Georgia’s lack of facilities may I add Richt recruited well every year and didn’t have 4-8 seasons twice in what 4 or 5 years? He left Kirby Smart with a better baseline than what Butters left Mullen. Lastly our oline has improved as of late. The offensive line at the beginning of the season reminded me of 05 every time. Leak always had a guy in his face and we looked bad often. These guys were recruited to run whatever offense Butters was trying to run. I’m not surprised by the struggles. Lately, the line has been good on run blocking and decent in pass blocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.