Unsportsmanlike Penalty Question

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I must not understand what triggers this penalty. Sherit gets penalized for pointing at the score board...no doubt in response to taunting from UK players.
Later in the game, a UK player mocks the chomp after tackling our RB after a 3 yard gain. No penalty. In fact I've never seen any player get penalized for mocking the chomp. What is the criteria for triggering this penalty and what am I missing?

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That's simple.. if there is "Gators" written in blue script on the side of the helmet, then a flag is thrown. If not, taunt away.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
It's okay for teams to taunt us w the "chomp"....but god forbid our guys do something even slightly questionable. Been that way since the Spurrier years.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Pointing at the scoreboard when the FCKN half is over (refs should be running to their lockeroom) and he gets a 15 yarder. bllsh3t. They probably said something to him before he did it. SMH

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, a good part of it is if it is DIRECTED at the other team. In otherwords, ok to chomp but not ok to chomp at a defender or their sideline.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Okay, I get it and I do not want to be a homer nor a devil's advocate, but to me the solution is very simple. If you make a great play on offense, give the ball to the official and celebrate with your teammates. If you make a great play on defense celebrate with your teammates. You know how it is going to be, so it is finally time to do something about it. Giving other teams extra yardage thru meaningless, dumb, mental penalties is completely different than committing a penalty while trying to make a legitimate play. Stop the BS and do not let other teams beat you by giving them free yards. And stop worrying about what the other team did or did not do. Control what you can control. Very simple.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Well, a good part of it is if it is DIRECTED at the other team. In otherwords, ok to chomp but not ok to chomp at a defender or their sideline.

As in Wes "DooshBoy" Byrum in 2007 - "chomping" at our sideline.

wes-byrum-gator-chomp-o.gif

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ever notice we also seem to be the only team that gets flagged for motioning 1st down?

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Pointing at the scoreboard - It was a total bullsh@t penalty, ticky-tack, bullsh@t. Kentucky was holding the whole game - I think they finally got one call when the game was well out of hand. They were mouthing, pushing and shoving - no call. That's the way it has always been and will be. We're the Mighty Gators - we have to play thru the horsesh@t calls. No call helped the Cats - they were blown out from the 1st qtr.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't mocking the chomp inherently directed at our team?

ChompTown

G8R B8
Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2015
Did anyone else hear the 850AM broadcast? Was at the game listening to Mick, McElwain basically told Ackerman at the half that it was a "horse-sh*t" call on Sherrit.... never heard Mac sound so upset. Just curious because I found it to be hilarious:lmao2:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't mocking the chomp inherently directed at our team?
No, i mean if they are pointing it AT our team, they get flagged. If they are doing it toward their team or their fans, no problem.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Personally, I hope UF is back enough to get the big bad bully team penalties. I am not sure that was the case in recent years.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That was not cool,diddy.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was a BS call. Pointing at the score board vs cussing out a player and his whole family?

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Been awhile but if memory serves me correctly the first time I saw a Gator point at the scoreboard whilst being jawed at was the pre-eminent scholar Lawrence wright (If you ain't a Gator you must be Gator bait) pointing at the board during the jawga game in 95 or 96.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
It's okay for teams to taunt us w the "chomp"....but god forbid our guys do something even slightly questionable. Been that way since the Spurrier years.
That's right. SOS started the Gator hating. I'm glad to see it starting again. That said, it was another call that reminds me of what I hate about refs.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Personally, I hope UF is back enough to get the big bad bully team penalties. I am not sure that was the case in recent years.
SOS's offense probably faced more 1st or 2nd down and 20 than any other team in history............It probably padded our stats too.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing surprises me about the refs, especially SEC refs in general. Seems as if they are always looking to throw the laundry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator