Updated: Suspended Players Update #1003

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So for all intents and purposes, this is really a non story. Of the players that were suspended, only 3 of them would have seen action in the first 2 games. Davis in the rotation at DE, which he could have helped b/c he has improved since he has been here. Callaway at WR, but we supposedly have great depth and talent at WR, and with our Oline would it have made a huge difference? maybe as a PR. And Scarlett. Yes our starting TB, but not a player who would make a huge difference behind this Oline. Our first 3 RB's heading into the season were about the same type of RB anyway. I for one have no interest in Callaway returning. Once you have double digit infractions, I say Sayonara.

Scarlett would make a big difference. Do you realize we don't currently have a RB who can properly pick up a blitz!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I sure hop this concludes soon. Mac needs to know how many more recruits he needs to add to the hot list.

Wonder if scholarship management is playing into this at all.... :scratchchin: :grin:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Scarlett would make a big difference. Do you realize we don't currently have a RB who can properly pick up a blitz!
They're not 2 good at doing anything! Thompson is pissing away elite size/speed because he's lazy as sh*t or just dumb as a brick, Perine is what we knew he was...a 3* RB and with Davis/Lemmons...it's 2 early to tell. If we keep Pierce in this class I'm almost positive he'll be the guy next year. Kid already is more physically developed than Perine/Davis/Lemmons not to mention he runs "pissed off" that's something nobody on this roster does outside of Scarlett.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
They're not 2 good at doing anything! Thompson is pissing away elite size/speed because he's lazy as sh*t or just dumb as a brick, Perine is what we knew he was...a 3* RB and with Davis/Lemmons...it's 2 early to tell. If we keep Pierce in this class I'm almost positive he'll be the guy next year. Kid already is more physically developed than Perine/Davis/Lemmons not to mention he runs "pissed off" that's something nobody on this roster does outside of Scarlett.
Thompson has not blocked well this season, but then, who has? He is running hard, has good hands, and, knock on wood, has not fumbled yet this year. I like the looks of Davis but I think Thompson has been better than Perone.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Fair point although it is tough to run against a stacked box with a crappy OL

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am assuming you didn't watch Scarlett trying to block last season or that is sarcasm.

I've seen Scarlett pick up a blitz plenty of times. Not perfect, but much better than Thompson

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've seen Scarlett pick up a blitz plenty of times. Not perfect, but much better than Thompson

I remember about 4 times last year Scarlett literally stood there and didn't even attempt to move toward the blitzer. Craziest mess I can ever remember seeing out of a Gator RB over the years when it came to blocking.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But remember this wasn't a big deal, much like us on the internet while at work.......

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
The nine University of Florida football players who have been suspended indefinitely by the school for misuse of school funds, are also under investigation for credit card fraud, by two separate police departments in the Gainesville area, relating to an additional credit card fraud allegation.

Jordan Smith, a freshman defensive end, was suspended from all team activates after a report from The Read Optionalthat Smith had used stolen credit card information to pay rent at an apartment complex — around $1,000 dollars.

The credit card company blocked the charge, leading to an investigation by the Gainesville Police Department. Only one other player was initially connected to the Smith case — a separate case from the student aid fraud investigation (though the second player was involved in both).

Now, The Read Optional understands that several players have been linked to both cases.

The Gainesville PD and the University of Florida PD have been working in conjunction on multiple investigations once it came to light that they were investigating fraud claims involving the same victim.

The link between the misuse of funds investigation and apartment fraud investigation is now clear: Several of the players had the same stolen credit card information; the same victim.

That victim has been cooperating with both police departments.

The Read Optional has also confirmed that UFPD has found more than one victim of stolen credit card information.

Seven players were initially suspended following a report from The Read Optional that they had misused student aid funds — using debit cards to buy electronic equipment, before selling it for cash and claiming the cards stolen. Two weeks later, two further players were also suspended indefinitely, with both believed to be tied to the first story.

Florida head coach Jim McElwain and athletic director Scott Stricklin have been vague on the details of the case for over a month now. Both have avoided direct accusations, citing “mistakes” and saying the process would be handled in-house. They neither confirmed nor denied the initial allegations as they continued to conduct an investigation into deeper credit card fraud.

Several student-athletes are expected to be interviewed this week. The investigation had been placed on hold due to Hurricane Irma.

http://thereadoptional.com/sources-police-departments-find-common-link-between-two-florida-football-frauds-cases-92c48c932fad

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
guys, this is no big deal. its a victimless petty incident. these are good kids, they just had a lapse in judgement, and they are no different than any of you posting during work hours...

/2222

MotownGator

Legacy member
BANNED
Jul 19, 2014
Does this happen in other schools? American Heritage and St. Thomas Aquinas does send players to quite a few schools around the country. Could we be the only ones getting these bad apples?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
and if Scarlett weren't a felon and were eligible to play, we still wouldn't have a running back who could pick up the Blitz.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does this happen in other schools? American Heritage and St. Thomas Aquinas does send players to quite a few schools around the country. Could we be the only ones getting these bad apples?

Alabama had something similar happen as far as student funds last season, I don't remember the outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.