Urban speaks out against early signing period

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ban-meyer-against-early-signing-period-092716

I agree with Urbs 100%. Lazy ass, crappy recruiters want early signing periods.

Trying to lock a kid in before he's had a chance to vet every possible scenario is weak.

Waaaahhh. He stole our recruit.

Stop crying.

FROM URBAN:

"I hear the reasoning is because there's so many decommitments. What the hell does that mean? So because 17-year-olds are decommitting, let's give them a legal document so they can't decommit. That's not very smart. Young people have a right to choose where they want to go to school. Period. Let them decommit 100 times. They're 17 years old. That's why they're called 17-year-olds. I don't understand whether it's lazy (on the part of college coaches in favor of an early signing period). I don't understand why there's this big push.

"Now they want to have official visits in their junior year. There are some kids that don't even have ACT scores. Their bodies are gaining 12 pounds. Why not move it up to their sophomore year? It's bizarre. You're going to see more transfers and more mistakes made in recruiting than ever if they keep pushing this thing up."

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oh look, the king of recruit stealing gets pissy about losing time to steal more recruits. Color me shocked.
my+shocked+face.jpg

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I also agree with Urbs. The pressure on these kids is already too much for some of them to handle, not to mention grades and graduation. But I also think that after an athlete enrolls in a school, his ability to transfer should not be as easy as it is currently. This would stop some of this bouncing from school to school just to find playing time.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The decommitting is annoying, but what's even more annoying is the anger with which fans lash out against the kids for doing it. The publicizing of recruiting is almost entirely to blame, everyone wants these kids to "commit" somewhere as early as possible so they can pound their chests about it.

The only time I really have a problem with kids decommitting is when they string along a school they have no intention of attending until signing day and then flip. It's just a dick move because typically the school will have counted on that recruit and maybe stopped recruiting that position as hard.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some people want to ignore the benefits of allowing student athletes to "sign" early. It then gives them the freedom to focus on their schooling and not have to worry about constant calls and texts from coaching staffs trying to poach him away from his commitment. There's two sides to every story. If a kid wants to sign early to get the whole thing over with so he can focus on what's important (school), I'm all for it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It also protects kids from getting their offers pulled late in the recruiting process.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It also protects kids from getting their offers pulled late in the recruiting process.

That's a good point. We've seen Bama do that. I'm not sure, but I think the financial document they can now sign protects the student athlete from the school doing that.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some people want to ignore the benefits of allowing student athletes to "sign" early. It then gives them the freedom to focus on their schooling and not have to worry about constant calls and texts from coaching staffs trying to poach him away from his commitment. There's two sides to every story. If a kid wants to sign early to get the whole thing over with so he can focus on what's important (school), I'm all for it.

If they're going to enroll early they can sign financial aid agreement. This binds the school to them but obligates the athlete to nothing.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The key thing here is that it is the kids choice. I don't think a lot of kids will sign early, but some may and then they don't have to worry about getting calls from coaches or people in their ear. If they want to wait they can wait.

The only issue I have is if coaches start to really pressure kids to sign early, but as a kid that would tell me something about the coach...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The key thing here is that it is the kids choice. I don't think a lot of kids will sign early, but some may and then they don't have to worry about getting calls from coaches or people in their ear. If they want to wait they can wait.

The only issue I have is if coaches start to really pressure kids to sign early, but as a kid that would tell me something about the coach...

What's the point to signing early? The kids can just sign the financial aid agreement and it binds the school.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What's the point to signing early? The kids can just sign the financial aid agreement and it binds the school.

That is only for early enrollees right? There are probably kids who would want to sign early who aren't going to enroll early.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That is only for early enrollees right? There are probably kids who would want to sign early who aren't going to enroll early.

I think you're right. Maybe they should explore doing it for anybody entering their senior year. But are there really that many kids getting their scholarships pulled in the last couple weeks?

Otherwise they can just wait until signing day.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think you're right. Maybe they should explore doing it for anybody entering their senior year. But are there really that many kids getting their scholarships pulled in the last couple weeks?

Otherwise they can just wait until signing day.

I honesty don't think it is a big deal either way... in reality.. I think the players should have as much freedom as possible and I don't really disagree with Urban's statement... although he doesn't get many de-commits either...

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Not sure how I feel about it really. I am in the camp that an offer should be binding by the school, but at the same time committing is binding as well unless there is some extreme conditions that happen, IE coaching change or the recruit gets in big time trouble. Would cut down on the flipping as well as making the the kid vet the process longer before making his decisions. I see it from both sides that these kids should go where they want, but at the same time they shouldn't hold the school hostage where they no longer recruit that position and leave them holding the bag on signing day just to bring attention to themselves. It's great when we flip someone late, but how much does it suck when one flips from us and we don't have numbers somewhere and could have taken someone else.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree with ole urbs, lets not get it twisted, he's as self serving as anyone in college sports. If there ever came a time where an early signing period would benefit him, for instance say harbaugh started having a good amount of success poaching his top commits right before signing day, you can guaran-damn-tee he'd be all about an early signing period.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I don't like Urban and his reasons are self serving, as that's who he is, and I don't believe he cares crap about the kids.
But I agree with him on this.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
UF flipped Pineiro from Bama. Also how 'bout our guy Felipping Franks.?
Each recruiting class, although a polymorphetic amoeba, reps the coaches' shaping
for the school's future team. As long as there isn't a mass emigration that cripples a program,
then let it be a free agency flow.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree with ole urbs, lets not get it twisted, he's as self serving as anyone in college sports. If there ever came a time where an early signing period would benefit him, for instance say harbaugh started having a good amount of success poaching his top commits right before signing day, you can guaran-damn-tee he'd be all about an early signing period.

It won't happen. He out recruits 99.9% of the nation.

But yeah I get your point that he would be self-serving. Aren't we all?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It won't happen. He out recruits 99.9% of the nation.

But yeah I get your point that he would be self-serving. Aren't we all?
To an extent, but some people are intellectually honest and consistent, especially when it comes to kids, and lets be honest. 17 year olds are kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.