USF vs. #15 UCF (3:30 p.m., ABC)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So if ucf wins, we gotta push this search another week or so to respect Frost conf championship game?
Nope. We negotiate once the regular season is over. The championship game is post season. Just like we did with Urban.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Was at the game. It was one of the better games I've ever seen in person. Defense was lacking but God, it was fun to watch offense for change. Flowers was unbelievable. He was throwing the ball on a dime into tight coverages and small windows ...and a few very large ones. For a crowd of 45K the fans were loud and into it from the jump.

I thought Frost called some questionable plays and there were several blown coverages but he also made some gutsy calls. I'd love to think that he would come to Gainesville but I really think he sticks at UCF for a couple more years. Too bad.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Was at the game. It was one of the better games I've ever seen in person. Defense was lacking but God, it was fun to watch offense for change. Flowers was unbelievable. He was throwing the ball on a dime into tight coverages and small windows ...and a few very large ones. For a crowd of 45K the fans were loud and into it from the jump.

I thought Frost called some questionable plays and there were several blown coverages but he also made some gutsy calls. I'd love to think that he would come to Gainesville but I really think he sticks at UCF for a couple more years. Too bad.

What's the glue that keeps him there?

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What's the glue that keeps him there?

Just a feeling. I think he actually feels he owes these kids and UCF something. And he's got 18 returning starters, the majority of whom are underclassmen.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I know this won't be popular but I came away feeling like I had been watching sandlot football. I am not trying to minimize what Frost has done at UCF but I just didn't come away from it feeling "wow, that's my guy!"

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
I know this won't be popular but I came away feeling like I had been watching sandlot football. I am not trying to minimize what Frost has done at UCF but I just didn't come away from it feeling "wow, that's my guy!"

I felt like it was two good high school teams that didn't care about defense. I like the energy, but I'm not convinced this works in the SEC.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Much of the same things were said when Spurrier came to the SEC. Same with Meyer.

He is working with a lot of underclassmen as starters on both offense and defense. On defense they're undersized and blew some coverages. Other times the DBs were in tight coverage but Flowers put the ball exactly where he needed to. They also had awful pressure up front and gave Flowers all day to throw. I think the defense can get better with bigger and faster SEC caliber players. But I have no problem with this offense working well in the SEC. The "Saban" style offenses we've tried the last 7 years sure as sh!t didn't work.

BTW, either of those teams last night would beat at least half of the teams in the SEC right now.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just a feeling. I think he actually feels he owes these kids and UCF something. And he's got 18 returning starters, the majority of whom are underclassmen.
He's going to get too much interest and offers to stay there.
I'm pretty sure he leaves this year, but no way he's at UCF a couple more.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I remember thinking the same about Utah when we were chasing Meyer. It's all about getting playmakers open in space and playing solid defense.

Norvell is the prettier coach if you ask me, though his defense at Memphis is awful, which is a concern.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
UCF’s offense works because Frost identified and recruited an overlooked, undersized QB who is an incredible athlete and perfect for him, plus a 3* RB who is smaller than Rainey but as fast and elusive, plus a few other pieces.

Their special teams was A+ last night in coverage and in the return game.

The DL shut down one of the top rushing offenses in the country but gave up repeated huge plays on the passing game, including a ridiculous home run ball that allowed USF to tie it late. They have one really good DB (Hughes, who also had the game winning kick return.)

All that in 2 years. O’Leary’s recruiting was awful in his last 2 years, so it really was almost from scratch.

He’s my guy and honestly I’d be happy with Charlie, too. Taggart left him a solid program but he did a great job with them and at Louisville.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator