Vacation question regarding FT. Myers Beach

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So after 5 years of being too busy to take a vacation we've decided to say fug it and try to sneak away for 5 days in August. We usually like to stay in Hutchinson Island because it's only a couple hours away but the house we've booked there several times before(as well as any others on the Ocean and suit my wifes taste) are booked....

The only other idea, again meeting the parameters above,(beachfront with own pool,4-5 bedrooms/bathrooms, balcony, outdoor cooking area, great view, modern and luxurious interior) is a house on Ft. Myers Beach. We are wanting to book it today, but I wanted to touch base with anyone familiar with the area and has seen what it looks like since the storms last year. Would appreciate any insight anyone can provide before dropping a wad of cash on this place.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Went to Pine Island a few weeks ago for a long weekend with some friends--our priority was waterfront access for the boats; but the area itself is still very much in recovery mode after Ian.

Sanibel and Captiva were in similar shape with a lot of docks, houses, restaurants, etc. still being rebuilt.

Didn't make it to Ft Myers Beach; but the whole area still had lots of downed trees, patches on roofs, and the usual affects of storm damage.

On the upside, it was the least crowded I've ever seen the area, so there is that.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Went to Pine Island a few weeks ago for a long weekend with some friends--our priority was waterfront access for the boats; but the area itself is still very much in recovery mode after Ian.

Sanibel and Captiva were in similar shape with a lot of docks, houses, restaurants, etc. still being rebuilt.

Didn't make it to Ft Myers Beach; but the whole area still had lots of downed trees, patches on roofs, and the usual affects of storm damage.

On the upside, it was the least crowded I've ever seen the area, so there is that.
Thanks.....I looked at couple of webcams from resorts on FMB and they are up and running with some limitations. I also called the closest Publix to the house were looking at and they are fully functional. The woman I spoke to said the debris has been cleared away but there is construction all over the place. She also said it was strange that some homes and buildings were completely destroyed, and others looked fine....I guess a handful of local restaurants have also reopened and some relocated to other buildings that managed to make it through the storm.
If boat traffic is down as you say I will probably book 2 charter trips while the wife and kid sit on the beach and pool.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015

On the upside, it was the least crowded I've ever seen the area, so there is that.How is Matlacha doing? Every year, family used to meet up at the bridgewater water inn (that hotel on stilts over the inlet right next to the drawbridge)
How’s Matlacha looking? Twice a year the family would meet stay a long weekend at the Bridgewater Inn (the hotel on stilts right before drawbridge into the island)

Great memories there, but no more. Ian took the old girl down.

Haven’t been back since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.