Vince Young - Winning at Life

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Texas fires ex-star QB Young after DWI arrest

Young already had been put on a work improvement plan in July 2017 in which he agreed to show up during normal business hours and do a better job of accounting for his time out of the office. He requested his office hours be cut or be moved to part time "because I work better out in the streets."

In September 2017, Young was given a strongly worded "Unacceptable Performance and Conduct" reprimand and put on notice that he could be terminated. He was cited for often being missing from work, skipping meetings with supervisors with no explanation, and missing several weeks or months' worth of time sheets and employee calendar updates to account for his whereabouts. The time sheets were eventually submitted by an acquaintance not affiliated with the university.

Eleven days after his drunken driving arrest, Young was notified Feb. 15 that his firing was imminent unless he could demonstrate a reason for the school not to.

According to a letter from Patrick Patterson, assistant vice president for the Longhorn Center for School Partnerships within the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, Young didn't tell his supervisors about his arrest until after it was reported in the media and only then by text.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This guy is a Heisman winner, a school legend there - along with that pothead Ricky Williams. Compare those tools to our Heisman representatives. Boy have we been lucky.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wow. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. He was getting paid $100K to show up and schmooze big money boosters. And, of course he filed for bankruptcy after blowing his $25 million contract. He should join gatorchatter and start reading the finance/money forum! :D

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
We need some type of pantheon/Rushmore for these types.

I’m thinking:

Leaf, Manziel, Young and JaMarcus - aka “Mr Purple Drank”.

Change my mind.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
We need some type of pantheon/Rushmore for these types.

I’m thinking:

Leaf, Manziel, Young and JaMarcus - aka “Mr Purple Drank”.

Change my mind.
If you included NBAers, that would be an elite group.

Antoine Walker, Allen Iverson come to mind

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How much of an f-up do you have to be to get reprimands, warnings, and ultimatums for a non-job like this?

Last edited:

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
This guy is a Heisman winner, a school legend there - along with that pothead Ricky Williams. Compare those tools to our Heisman representatives. Boy have we been lucky.

C'mon man don't compare Ricky Williams' problems with this moron's. Idk if you've seen the documentary on Ricky Williams but he's actually a deep guy that just didn't want to play football anymore.
Texas gave Young PLENTY of chances to get it together. How hard could it be to just show up? Jeez

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it was basically free money to be treated like a local God. The man is a true idiot.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Isn't amazing how a true idiot can play at such a high level in the biggest football game of the year (in college).
When things come easy and people worship you and enable you this is what happens. I hope he hasnt fathered many kids.
.....Manziel certainly comes to mind.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, it was basically free money to be treated like a local God. The man is a true idiot.

Correct but I won’t be surprised if they rehire him a year or two from now after he “gets help” for his personal issues. But yeah, getting fired from a gig like this is really bottom of the barrel.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
DWI with 2 of M.Vick's fighting dogs in the back seat ?

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
This is just depressing. I'm happy our team is trying to do something to instill values in these kids and keep them from this kind of self-destruction. Vernell Brown seems to be doing a great job.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is just depressing. I'm happy our team is trying to do something to instill values in these kids and keep them from this kind of self-destruction. Vernell Brown seems to be doing a great job.

These S&C coaches are truly an assistant head coach. With the insanity of the NCAA rules and the lack of contact between the coach and the kids for most of the year, these are the folks who have 52 weeks of contact with the kids.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
These S&C coaches are truly an assistant head coach. With the insanity of the NCAA rules and the lack of contact between the coach and the kids for most of the year, these are the folks who have 52 weeks of contact with the kids.

And Mac didn’t even have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator