Virginia Tech drooling over Todd Grantham as head coach

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The only way Fat Slob Todd leaves UF is either getting fired with Eddie or a promotion somewhere. I'll take the former instead of the latter. One thing is definite, Eddie will NEVER fire him.
Does anyone else think it's possible the two of them are romantically involved? There have been rumors for years that Grantham has a wanger the size of an Akron fireplug.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'd be shocked if Fuente gets whacked this year. I live in the Commonwealth and have some Tech friends. Virginia's college football culture is definitely not at the SEC level of, um, insanely passionate, shall we say. UVa showed a ton of patience with Groh and London and I seem to recall Beamer struggled early on in his tenure in Blacksburg. It's just not as crazy up here with the two major FBS programs. Plus, there's the Wuhan.

Even if the Turkeys whack Fuente, how the hell could they possibly hire Grantham as their HC? And I don't care if he's an alum. They can't possibly be that stupid and collectively, we in the Gator Nation are just not that lucky.

Based on everything we've seen from Mullen, I know I am getting my hopes up likely for no reason, but I'd like to think that dustup between him and Grantham on the sideline a couple of weeks ago is emblematic of a deeper rift and that a change is coming, whether Tech comes calling or not.

The only reason VT doesn't fire Fuente is financial. He's a dead man walking. I also live in Virginia, been here since 2008. The CFB landscape has changed a lot since 2008, and VT was much better back then. But they are every bit as passionate as many SEC teams. They are likely top 2 in the ACC, along w/ Clemson (FSU would be 3rd, when they're winning). I remember walking into bars on CFB Saturdays back then and being shocked at the number of VT fans everywhere in the DMV area. I've often said if the SEC does another round of expansion, VT is a must get - they give us the state of Virginia and the DMV tv market. UVA and VT are complete opposites when it comes to sports, especially football.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Mullen volunteered Grantham's name when asked about Johnson getting another job. That says a lot. And then Grantham's name pops up for other jobs. That's Mullen's way of getting rid of him since he won't fire him. Hopefully a non P5 team picks him up for a HC position. I doubt a P5 team is that desperate. Hey, UCF is looking for a new coach.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But they are every bit as passionate as many SEC teams.

Which SEC schools? Vandy? Mizzou?

I kid, but Clemmy is the only program in that stanky-ass conference that is SEC-worthy. A quaint team stadium entrance routine and turkey drumsticks does not make them an SEC program. Aside from a few conference championships, what have they done?

UVA and VT are complete opposites when it comes to sports, especially football.

Football? I agree completely. Hoops and baseball? No. Academics does play a role, though not as much as Hoos apologists suggest.

if the SEC does another round of expansion, VT is a must get - they give us the state of Virginia and the DMV tv market.

I agree, though I think this is unlikely. It is hard to see Tech and UVa splitting up based on how Tech got into the ACC. Plus, they have an easier path to the postseason and closer rivals in the ACC.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Which SEC schools? Vandy? Mizzou?

I kid, but Clemmy is the only program in that stanky-ass conference that is SEC-worthy. A quaint team stadium entrance routine and turkey drumsticks does not make them an SEC program. Aside from a few conference championships, what have they done?

Football? I agree completely. Hoops and baseball? No. Academics does play a role, though not as much as Hoos apologists suggest.

I agree, though I think this is unlikely. It is hard to see Tech and UVa splitting up based on how Tech got into the ACC. Plus, they have an easier path to the postseason and closer rivals in the ACC.

I think VT is about as passionate as any program in the SEC (when they're winning). It's a big pissing contest on who has "the most passionate fans", but even Ole Miss, Miss State, and USC fans are pretty passionate. Just because Alabama is the big dog, that doesn't mean UF, UGA, Auburn, or A&M fans are less passionate. VT fans are just the same.

I think financially VT would jump at it. They're the step child. I also think NC State would jump at it. The "tobacco road" schools (Duke, UNC, and Wake) treat NC State like a step child too. UVA turns their nose up at VT, mostly due to academics. I've been to a UVA game (one of my close friends played for Bronco Mendenhall at Oregon State - he was his position coach). That's not passion! VT is right down the road from Knoxville and probably closer to some SEC schools than UF is. I think they'd be a great fit.

Yes, UVA has a solid baseball and basketball program (although the basketball has been pretty dormant until the last few years).

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I think VT is about as passionate as any program in the SEC (when they're winning). It's a big pissing contest on who has "the most passionate fans", but even Ole Miss, Miss State, and USC fans are pretty passionate. Just because Alabama is the big dog, that doesn't mean UF, UGA, Auburn, or A&M fans are less passionate. VT fans are just the same.

I think financially VT would jump at it. They're the step child. I also think NC State would jump at it. The "tobacco road" schools (Duke, UNC, and Wake) treat NC State like a step child too. UVA turns their nose up at VT, mostly due to academics. I've been to a UVA game (one of my close friends played for Bronco Mendenhall at Oregon State - he was his position coach). That's not passion! VT is right down the road from Knoxville and probably closer to some SEC schools than UF is. I think they'd be a great fit.

Yes, UVA has a solid baseball and basketball program (although the basketball has been pretty dormant until the last few years).
I agree. My son went to VT, so I've been to Lane Stadium and am aware of the passion VT fans have for their team. Blacksburg in some ways reminded me of Gainesville. Not a lot else there but the school and the team to cheer for. Cool place, really.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Does anyone else think it's possible the two of them are romantically involved? There have been rumors for years that Grantham has a wanger the size of an Akron fireplug.
:shocked2:

1. Who are you hanging out with that would have any reason to have that information?
2. Why are you hanging out with them still?
3. :barfaway:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. My son went to VT, so I've been to Lane Stadium and am aware of the passion VT fans have for their team. Blacksburg in some ways reminded me of Gainesville. Not a lot else there but the school and the team to cheer for. Cool place, really.

I watched QB Don Strock lead a VT passing attack when I lived in Blacksburg long ago.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I watched QB Don Strock lead a VT passing attack when I lived in Blacksburg long ago.
My HS Bio teacher used to do Strock when he was at Tech. She went to Radford. I think she had a thing for football players cause she did some seniors as well.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I'd be shocked if Fuente gets whacked this year. I live in the Commonwealth and have some Tech friends. Virginia's college football culture is definitely not at the SEC level of, um, insanely passionate, shall we say. UVa showed a ton of patience with Groh and London and I seem to recall Beamer struggled early on in his tenure in Blacksburg.
Beamer's first six years he went 24-40-2. Can you imagine any program in the country being that patient with a coach today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.