War Canoe

Jun 2, 2015
Obviously, the canoe has collected a lot of dust while in UM care...

Ghosts of the Orange Bowl
Yesterday at 11:46 AM
Miami Sports Hall of Fame, where it has resided since 1989. The canoe was retired after the 1987 game when the annual rivalry ended. The canoe was hand-carved by Seminole Indians from a 200-year old cypress tree that was struck by lightning. The award was given on behalf of the City of Hollywood, FL to the winning school, starting in 1950. The Hurricanes and Gators played every year from 1938 to 1987. The two universities have played only 6 times since. Photo by Joey Mooneyham.

Of interest to me is the fact that Miami & UF began playing each other the year I was born - 1938. Yeah, that makes me 81 1/2 years old.

According to some stories out of Miami, the canoe at some point in time was trashed, but retrieved by two students who held on to it for a couple of years, Then, when the Hall of Fame was completed, they donated it where it resides now. Word on the street was that we wouldn't give it back because you would not play us every year. However, I don't personally know if any of this is true.

Looking forward to a good game tomorrow. Beware, I am still working on our mojo & ju ju to assure us a win. LOL

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm hoping that pic isn't the 'hall of fame'. It looks like the back half of that guy's office.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nice to see you posting again daytonacane.

You've always been civil and respectful, don't let the trash talking and tomorrow's ass whooping keep you from logging on.

Go Gators

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
"daytonacane" , are you subconsciously getting a sinking feeling about this game? -------------------- Liked that story -- thank you.
Exciting rekindling game. We all should enjoy what this portends.
Hope both sides show best sportsmanship and no injuries to either side.

"I couldn't get a baby sitter, so I'm just gonna lock all doors and brave it by myself."

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Word on the street was that we wouldn't give it back because you would not play us every year. However, I don't personally know if any of this is true.

Yep I think Miami refused to give it up after the 2008 loss.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
I don't give a flying frog flip about a canoe, boot, hammer or any other artifact.

Get the W.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
War canoe? This is for the UF UM rivalry? WTF? Sounds like something a stupid seminole would use and nothing even related to a Gator or a Hurricane.

Jun 2, 2015
War canoe? This is for the UF UM rivalry? WTF? Sounds like something a stupid seminole would use and nothing even related to a Gator or a Hurricane.

neteng, I agree. I didn't quite get the concept of a Seminole war canoe for the UF vs. Miami games other than the fact that there were far more real, true, authentic Seminoles in South FL than in Tallahassee. So I googled this and found out that in Nov., 1955 the Seminole Tribe & City of Hollywood, FL donated this to be given to the winner of the UF vs. Miami game; thus, it fortunately has absolutely nothing to do with that team in the NW part of FL.

Last edited:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
UF00032483.jpg

Seminole war canoe at Florida Field. Photo must have been taken around 1963.

I believe the first player is number 33 Lindy Infante. The other player I think is number 70 John Dent who played tackle.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yep I think Miami refused to give it up after the 2008 loss.

Well they don’t have a stadium, so I assume it’s in one of those storage unit places out by the turnpike. Maybe we can pay what’s owed and get it back.

Then throw it in Lake Alice and dare them to try and get it back. It’s terrible anyway.

Last edited:

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Why either team would aspire to win anything associated with a Seminole is beyond comprehension. Just burn the damn thing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I believe the first player is number 33 Lindy Infante.
It's pretty funny really that people associate the Fun and Gun (Run and Shoot) with Spurrier when it was really Infante's offense (and an adaptation of Coryell's).

And it is THE Gator offense.

The only appropriate Gator offense.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
So, shouldn't scum be handing it back to UF so we can burn it?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
War Canoe, really? Holy Crap, that's the craziest thing to play for I've ever heard. Let the Nulls play for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator