Wednesday Worsts...Critically Acclaimed Movie

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What is the worst movie you’ve seen that was critically acclaimed and won all kinds of awards or had a star packed cast but it bombed?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Forrest Gump.... fuching stupid movie... won over Pulp Fiction, Shawskank Redemption... four weddings and a funeral (aka five of the same thing), and Quiz Show.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Forrest Gump.... fuching stupid movie... won over Pulp Fiction, Shawskank Redemption... four weddings and a funeral (aka five of the same thing), and Quiz Show.
Mrs G and I were living overseas when those movies came out, so our choice was wait a few more years before they came to our country, watch a horribly pirated version, or wait until we had an R&R trip to the states. We chose door #3. While staying with Mrs. G's brother we saw Shawshank and thought it was phenomenal. Just a great, great movie. We were now really psyched to see Forrest Gump since it had beat out Shawshank for Best Picture. Mrs. G and I later agreed we were never more underwhelmed by a movie than Forrest Gump. I've watched it a couple time since hoping I'd see what others thought was so great without success.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
An Inconvenient Truth.

My wife asked me to go. Now that was love.

Worst thing I ever watched.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mrs G and I were living overseas when those movies came out, so our choice was wait a few more years before they came to our country, watch a horribly pirated version, or wait until we had an R&R trip to the states. We chose door #3. While staying with Mrs. G's brother we saw Shawshank and thought it was phenomenal. Just a great, great movie. We were now really psyched to see Forrest Gump since it had beat out Shawshank for Best Picture. Mrs. G and I later agreed we were never more underwhelmed by a movie than Forrest Gump. I've watched it a couple time since hoping I'd see what others thought was so great without success.

Watched it the first time with my Dad and Brother due to the hype and it winning best picture in the old Royal Park Theater (Gainesville). Tom Hanks is great, but story sucks and is boring. We had seen Pulp Fiction, but not Shawshank at the time. I remember the feeling of walking out of the theater, and then hearing my dad confirm it by saying "well that was a fuching waste of two hours". The best part of that night was the three of us going to Murphy's afterwards and just making fun of how disappointing the movie was.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If Hollywood likes it, it is almost certainly junk. I don't like action movies either, so that leaves me with crickets. I'm left with either these occasional non-action attempts to come up with something original, Hallmark, or action. All no goes. I'm screwed.

When it comes to movies there is a big disadvantage to being old. You've seen it all. There are only so many plot twists in existence or that ever will be in existence.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
If Hollywood likes it, it is almost certainly junk. I don't like action movies either, so that leaves me with crickets. I'm left with either these occasional non-action attempts to come up with something original, Hallmark, or action. All no goes. I'm screwed.

When it comes to movies there is a big disadvantage to being old. You've seen it all. There are only so many plot twists in existence or that ever will be in existence.
I thought you would be totally engrossed by the movies now since sound was added...:whistle:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Has anybody seen The Shape of Water? The 2017 best picture. If you haven't I 'll give you the plot synopsis.
I deaf girl falls in love with the creature from the black lagoon and has sex with it by placing towels under the bathroom door and filling up the bathroom with water. I shyt you not. That won Best Picture. The mousy deaf girl does go full frontal so it has that going for it but she's not best picture worthy.

Green Book 2018: Italian American drives a gay, black man across country. I wonder why that won.

Moonlight: 2016 Gay, black man deals with being a gay black man. Do you see a pattern?

Spotlight 2015: Gay Pedophiles. They do love the gay in Hollywierd.

12 years a slave 2013: White people, bad.

It's almost as if Hollyweird is trying to shove a message down our throats.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Has anybody seen The Shape of Water? The 2017 best picture. If you haven't I 'll give you the plot synopsis.
I deaf girl falls in love with the creature from the black lagoon and has sex with it by placing towels under the bathroom door and filling up the bathroom with water. I shyt you not. That won Best Picture. The mousy deaf girl does go full frontal so it has that going for it but she's not best picture worthy.

Green Book 2018: Italian American drives a gay, black man across country. I wonder why that won.

Moonlight: 2016 Gay, black man deals with being a gay black man. Do you see a pattern?

I haven't seen any of these movies... last best picture was Argo, which a fine move, but completely Hollywooded the story.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

Almost?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Over the last 20 years I've come to realize that 9 times out of 10 if Hollywood loves it, I usually hate it.
That's why they shouldn't be anybody's moral compass and telling society what to believe with the crap they produce (in the name of art) most of the time.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Over the last 20 years I've come to realize that 9 times out of 10 if Hollywood loves it, I usually hate it.
That's why they shouldn't be anybody's moral compass and telling society what to believe with the crap they produce (in the name of art) most of the times.
25 years ago I knew quite a few of these people. They seemed nice enough. Since my son was temporarily in the club, it wasn't apparent that they were way to impressed with themselves and nuts. By the way he's so damned conservative he makes me look liberal.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
25 years ago I knew quite a few of these people. They seemed nice enough. Since my son was temporarily in the club, it wasn't apparent that they were way to impressed with themselves and nuts. By the way he's so damned conservative he makes me look liberal.

I thought you were liberal :stirpot:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'd respond over there but not over here. Liberals scare the hell out of me. Other things scare the hell out me too. Pot stirrer.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Edit:
Well crap, I flubbed up my own post with favorites instead of worsts. Post of shame. :headslap:

Princess Bride (sappy I know but I love it)
Saving Private Ryan
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Schindler's List
Matrix
The Fugitive
Raising Arizona :lol:

Haven't seen many of these in a long time so I reserve the right to change my mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator