Wednesday Worsts.....State/Country

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
In January 2020 I went south of Tampa for a quick trip down and back. Going through Tallahassee we stopped for some food. I couldn't help but notice the horrible smell. So that place would have to make my list of cities that I don't like.

Tallacrappy is one of the worst places I have stayed. The hotels and restaurants not to mention the colleges that are undesirable.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Does the GCMB Political Forum count as a city or a state???

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nassau is a dump too for the most part. The real s***-holes in Mexico are any of the towns along the US border. Filth, disease, poverty and despair, topped with an insane amount of indiscriminate killing. Hard to say which is the worst; pretty much depends on the day. I have to go to El Paso in April; when I get back, I'll happily give you the latest on Cuidad Juarez if there's any interest. (FTR - I will not be crossing over for a visit!)

Caught Nassau during a January cold front once with a girlfriend, and spent a few hours huddled with her trying to stay warm as we repeatedly fended off random vendors offering us everything imaginable. Then we went to Gray Cliff for some cigars and somehow ended up on a local bus with a bunch of school kids stopping every 15 feet. Even Atlantis, to me, was extremely underwhelming. And the oddest thing was the true lack of identity of the island. I kept seeing Jamaican styled things(color scheme, "mon", etc.) when it's an entirely different country with zero actual Rastafarian influence. Very bizarre. The Breitling store(s) was the only saving grace. Bought some straps for a watch I rarely use, but then NV made fun of those recently on the Main page, officially rendering the entire trip a complete disaster. To be fair, my parents lived on one of the southern most islands not long before I was born and say it was beautiful. So areas like that and Abaco shouldn't be lumped in.

And yes, those border towns look and sound terrible.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The worst of all, though is the Freeport area of the Bahamas. Still not sure why anyone would ever leave SoFla to go to there. It's Jupiter/Juno but with a poverty twist. You can get the same experience going 4 exits south to Riviera Beach. Nassau is better but also extremely overrated, imo.

Just booked tickets to Eleuthera for this summer. Hoping it's nothing like Freeport or Nassau!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I have to say New Mexico and Louisiana both compete in all categories for bottom of the barrel. However, I would chose to live in either one rather than California or Massachusetts.

NM surprises me. I went to Albuquerque and Santa Fe about 25 years ago and liked them both.

Last edited:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
As far as the worst place I would say some of the soulless urban sprawl that goes on for miles and miles with one gas station, fast food joint and strip mall after another.

I've lived in Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee and I've liked all of those states. It's what you know about a place that makes a difference. You just can't say you know about a place by driving through it on an interstate highway and pulling off to use the bathroom at some Shell station. I'm more at home down South because that's what I know and love but I've enjoyed taking trips up North and out West. There are plenty of places I would not want to live, but few I would not want to visit.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
As far as the worst place I would say some of the soulless urban sprawl that goes on for miles and miles with one gas station, fast food joint and strip mall after another.

I've lived in Florida, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee and I've liked all of those states. It's what you know about a place that makes a difference. You just can't say you know about a place by driving through it on an interstate highway and pulling off to use the bathroom at some Shell station. I'm more at home down South because that's what I know and love but I've enjoyed taking trips up North and out West. There are plenty of places I would not want to live, but few I would not want to visit.

Good post. You are right, you can't judge a whole state because of a drive through or even one city. We went to Niagara Falls and Buffalo was not a great review for the whole state of NY. However we spent one day driving and hiking in Watkins Glen. The country side was beautiful and the state park was amazing. It's hard to compare something like this to NYC. Not worth writing off the whole state.

shutterstock-737973610.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Just booked tickets to Eleuthera for this summer. Hoping it's nothing like Freeport or Nassau!

Good to hear you found a quick alternative. Hopefully they didn’t give you too much of a hard canceling those rooms you’d booked in Gaza City and Beirut.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Good post. You are right, you can't judge a whole state because of a drive through or even one city. We went to Niagara Falls and Buffalo was not a great review for the whole state of NY. However we spent one day driving and hiking in Watkins Glen. The country side was beautiful and the state park was amazing. It's hard to compare something like this to NYC. Not worth writing off the whole state.

shutterstock-737973610.jpg

Mohonk Preserve in Ulster County is possibly my favorite place in the US. Roughly 1.5 hours from the city and as clean and beautiful as it gets.

But yeah. You and Okeechobee are correct. Probably not a single state that doesn’t have at least some area that would be great to experience.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Good to hear you found a quick alternative. Hopefully they didn’t give you too much of a hard canceling those rooms you’d booked in Gaza City and Beirut.
To be perfectly honest, I didn’t actually spend the night in Gaza. We drove over from Tel Aviv where we stayed in a nice beach front hotel; not that I actually saw any functioning hotels in Gaza.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So, there is no country better than the USofA, period. Lots of places that qualify as ani of the world but the worst would be Iran. Not because it is so third worldly, many African countries are worse. No, the Persians have had access to knowledge and moral teaching (mainly Jewish captives) for over 2000 years and still chose to act like a boy buggering, child raping, girl abducting, Jew hating satan inspired criminal is a moral prophet. And then use his writings to justify their barbarism and hate for God and His Messiah. They should know better. As for states, I have been stationed in a few and visited most all of them. I have to say New Mexico and Louisiana both compete in all categories for bottom of the barrel. However, I would chose to live in either one rather than California or Massachusetts.
Whenever people ask me "what country would you live in if not the US?" I always answer, "There are a lot of countries I'd live in, as a US passport holder."

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I agree that one shouldn't judge a place after just driving through on the interstates. The scenery driving I-65 from Tennessee to Mobile is pretty bland but if you get off the main roads there are many very beautiful places to see. These are some pics of The Walls of Jericho in Northeast Alabama (only about 30 minutes from my house). Highly recommend it for a relatively easy hike. Just don't go with BNA unless you are armed for your own personal defense... ;)

Dedication%204-23-05%20%288%29.jpg

wlwduxslx9iinblfobgy.jpg

3.DSC_8986.JPG

One can also backpack in and camp out in a primitive site near the Walls (also right beside a very old cemetery).

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I have to say New Mexico

NM is basically my second home given my customer base... I hit Albuquerque quite frequently (actually lived there for three weeks in late '89 - long story).
It's a miserable city... it's really the 'trailer park' of New Mexico.

Now - to be fair - Santa Fe and Los Alamos aren't bad, but the real estate prices are insane, especially because it's NM.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
NM is basically my second home given my customer base... I hit Albuquerque quite frequently (actually lived there for three weeks in late '89 - long story).
It's a miserable city... it's really the 'trailer park' of New Mexico.

Now - to be fair - Santa Fe and Los Alamos aren't bad, but the real estate prices are insane, especially because it's NM.
Garrison Keillor called Santa Fe the adobe theme park when he was here. Los Alamos is the highest educated city in American and New Mexico is 50th or 49th depending on the day. If you go to Pie Town or Quemado, the people are great by the poverty is overwhelming. Albuquerque is a divided city with crime and drug use rampant in the 'war zone' (yes that is the actual name used) and some very nice neighborhoods in the NE Heights. Of course 1/3 of the state's population live in the Albuquerque metro area. We live in the mountains on the east side of the Manzanos and for the most part, it is peaceful and neighborly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator