Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My truck gets washed every time I change the batteries on the smoke alarms.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
When I was young and broke (living in an apartment) I was definitely in the category of letting God wash it.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
We have always bought new (wife's car anyway) and kept our vehicles 15+ years. Weekly washing. All recommended maintenance. Change tire and get an alignment every 5 years or wear dictated. Saves money in the long run. Oh, don't get a new car until the maintenance costs more than a new car payment (36 month finance) for 3 or more months consecutively.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I do my best to keep up. Wash when needed (white truck in snowy state - so more often in the winter).

Try to do as much myself as possible, but if time is short, head to the dealer/mechanic for some routine stuff.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My daily driver(truck) get washed about quarterly and the inside cleaned about the same. The Shelby gets washed and mini detailed interior, wheels cleaned& tires shined just about every time I drive it. My convertible gets cleaned on the weekend if I'm going to drive it, if not I leave it dirty for my wife to drive....she makes a terrible mess of the inside and leaves papers, mail and all sorts of misc. stuff in the car which pisses me off because it goes flying out of the car when I put the top down....

Truck and convertible get 2X full synthetic oil change a year from local tire store. I check the oil level and air filters every month. Shelby only gets oil change once per year since it is very low mileage, it's a 2009 with 30K =2k per year. Only person who touches the Shelby is a guy named Jake who owns a mod shop and has added all the aftermarket performance items and appropriate tuning. I do wash and re oil the air filter myself twice a year though.

I do not get underneath cars since I am semi claustrophobic and had a good friend who died when his 1971 Dodge Charger fell off a jack stand and killed him just after graduating from HS....

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
My daily driver(truck) get washed about quarterly and the inside cleaned about the same. The Shelby gets washed and mini detailed interior, wheels cleaned& tires shined just about every time I drive it. My convertible gets cleaned on the weekend if I'm going to drive it, if not I leave it dirty for my wife to drive....she makes a terrible mess of the inside and leaves papers, mail and all sorts of misc. stuff in the car which pisses me off because it goes flying out of the car when I put the top down....

Truck and convertible get 2X full synthetic oil change a year from local tire store. I check the oil level and air filters every month. Shelby only gets oil change once per year since it is very low mileage, it's a 2009 with 30K =2k per year. Only person who touches the Shelby is a guy named Jake who owns a mod shop and has added all the aftermarket performance items and appropriate tuning. I do wash and re oil the air filter myself twice a year though.

I do not get underneath cars since I am semi claustrophobic and had a good friend who died when his 1971 Dodge Charger fell off a jack stand and killed him just after graduating from HS....
I had a friend in high school whose brother had a '72 Charger with a 440 Magnum with dual-four-barrel carbs. He claimed he could leave for school 5 minutes late and get there 10 minutes early... :lol2:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In high school and college, I'd wash at least once a week. Definitely wax a couple of times a year.

As a young adult, I'd actually bring a wash bucket and supplies if I knew I was going on a couple of hour drive. I had zero issues with washing it whenever I got to wherever we were going. Super detail and wax and least twice a year.

Then we had kids. So.... now my truck gets washed when it rains.

Interestingly, a new business phenomena is happening in the Ocala area. These massive car washes are being built EVERYWHERE. Dozens of them. I have no idea how all them plan on staying in business. And they all have unlimited car washing for $20 a month. $10 for a 2nd car. So the wife and kids have that plan. But the deal is they have to wash and vacuum their car at least weekly.

For me... it's still just just when it rains.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interestingly, a new business phenomena is happening in the Ocala area. These massive car washes are being built EVERYWHERE. Dozens of them. I have no idea how all them plan on staying in business. And they all have unlimited car washing for $20 a month. $10 for a 2nd car. So the wife and kids have that plan.
These have been around for years out here and they continue to open up news ones around town. They must make money somehow.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
These have been around for years out here and they continue to open up news ones around town. They must make money somehow.
I was thinking it was folks moving down from up north, noticing fewer than they are used to seeing and opening them no understanding why there are less than in snowy states.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
About once every three to four weeks - mainly because my Granddaughter loves to ride thru them
"Poppa, let's go thru the car washing machine..."
She's three so the amount of gunk she gets in the car necessitates a cleaning about 1-2 times a month

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Disgusting people, wash your damn cars!

archer-ants.gif

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
While I wait for the carb rebuild kit to arrive, I went to change the thermostat in this goddam thing. Disaster struck. Taking the thermostat housing off the top of the intake, one of the rusty bolts snapped off. Couldn't get it out to save my life, Tried heat, penetrating oil, everything. Eventually cut it off flush and drilled a hole in the bolt then tried to use an easy-out....which then snapped off inside the damn bolt. As I'm sure you all know, that tool steel isn't something you're going to drill out with a regular bit.

Thankfully I was able to use a masonry bit to at least make the top of the broken easy out smooth enough so I could hit it with a punch. Thank you sweet baby Jesus that the hole was open to the water jacket and the punch was enough to drive the remnant of the tool through the old bolt and into the water jacket where I was able to fish it out. Then it was a simple matter of drilling out the rest of the bolt, re-tapping the threads in the manifold and voila.....all fixed.

When I get back from my work trip this weekend I'll get the carb put back together and hopefully the new radiator will be here by then and I can put it all back together and see if it runs. Film at 11.

IMG_2954 2.JPG

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
After watching Ozark on Netflix I started thinking of several businesses and shopping malls through this lens.
You ever notice how some mattress stores are constantly “going out of business” only to be replaced at that location by another mattress store?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
You ever notice how some mattress stores are constantly “going out of business” only to be replaced at that location by another mattress store?
You ever notice how some mattress stores and furniture stores are constantly "going out of business" but their "going out of business" sales last sometimes for years?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
While I wait for the carb rebuild kit to arrive, I went to change the thermostat in this goddam thing. Disaster struck. Taking the thermostat housing off the top of the intake, one of the rusty bolts snapped off. Couldn't get it out to save my life, Tried heat, penetrating oil, everything. Eventually cut it off flush and drilled a hole in the bolt then tried to use an easy-out....which then snapped off inside the damn bolt. As I'm sure you all know, that tool steel isn't something you're going to drill out with a regular bit.

Thankfully I was able to use a masonry bit to at least make the top of the broken easy out smooth enough so I could hit it with a punch. Thank you sweet baby Jesus that the hole was open to the water jacket and the punch was enough to drive the remnant of the tool through the old bolt and into the water jacket where I was able to fish it out. Then it was a simple matter of drilling out the rest of the bolt, re-tapping the threads in the manifold and voila.....all fixed.

When I get back from my work trip this weekend I'll get the carb put back together and hopefully the new radiator will be here by then and I can put it all back together and see if it runs. Film at 11.

View attachment 62355

Surprised the tire pressure light hasn’t come on. That front left looks a little low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.