What if Florida hired Chris Petersen in 2010? Today’s SEC would look mighty bizarre

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well this is interesting.
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/what-if-florida-hired-chris-petersen-in-2010

When Urban Meyer stepped down from his post as coach of the Florida Gators on Dec. 8, 2010, the New York Times produced a short list of candidates UF was expected to consider.

Packed alongside Bob Stoops, Jim Harbaugh and Jon Gruden was Boise State coach Chris Petersen, who had risen to stardom during the Broncos’ Fiesta Bowl win in January 2007 and had just led BSU to an 11-1 regular season.

The Orlando Sentinel — a major local publication — also floated Petersen as a primary candidate.

Of course, Florida did not hire Petersen, who spent three more seasons at Boise State before saying “yes” to Washington in 2013. He now owns the second-highest career winning percentage among active FBS coaches, and is currently preparing to face No. 1 Alabama in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl (Saturday, 3 p.m. ET, ESPN).

But (cue the “30 for 30” voice) what if we told you that Florida didn’t pass on greatness? Enter SEC Country’s alternate universe below … if you dare.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Pipe dreams. Petersen is a West Coast guy, don't think he would have ever taken this job or any other job on this coast.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still pissed. The rumor was we cheaped out on what peterson was wanting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Packed alongside Bob Stoops, Jim Harbaugh and Jon Gruden was Boise State coach Chris Petersen
LOL.

Do ANY of you really think we were going to pay enough to even get one of those guys to consider taking the job?

Have you even paid attention?

Fooley goes out and finds a coordinator from some successful coach (Zook, Chimp, Butters) and pays just enough to beat out the Sunbelt salaries.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pipe dreams. Petersen is a West Coast guy, don't think he would have ever taken this job or any other job on this coast.
I don't think he can recruit for crap and certainly has no recruiting ties in the SE.

You people are like chicks screaming about his triple reverse double throwback offense.
He is the latest in a long line of Boise coaches who didn't do shyt elsewhere.

Yeah, yeah, he's gone 11-2 once at Washington at a time when the only teams in the PAC are in the ditch. Chimp, Charley Cheeseburger, Tyrone Willingham and quite a few others have had one good year.

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The Foleyites will defend him with their usual almost religious-like zealotry.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he can recruit for crap and certainly has no recruiting ties in the SE.

You people are like chicks screaming about his triple reverse double throwback offense.
He is the latest in a long line of Boise coaches who didn't do shyt elsewhere.

Yeah, yeah, he's gone 11-2 once at Washington at a time when the only teams in the PAC are in the ditch. Chimp, Charley Cheeseburger, Tyrone Willingham and quite a few others have had one good year.
I mean...........he's the head coach of one of the only four teams that still has a chance to win the NC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, all those others I listed finished in the top 4. So did Brian Kelley and Helfrich.

Petersen has had one good year. He will impress me that he may not be just another coach who wins at Boise in the minor leagues then fails elsewhere if he doesn't get blasted next week and if he manages to have more than one good year.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
[GIPHY="nothing to see here"]https://media0.giphy.com/media/13d2jHlSlxklVe/giphy.gif[/GIPHY]

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nobody read the article. Nobody ever reads the articles. :doh:
OMG, what a read...that f'ing kid get paid to right that shyt. Kids come up with better fiction trying to get out of lies.

Nothing against you, it's a slow day and you tried.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
OMG, what a read...that f'ing kid get paid to right that shyt. Kids come up with better fiction trying to get out of lies.

Nothing against you, it's a slow day and you tried.

It has a happy ending. The SEC East is great again. Saban retires. And inevitably we go on to win the NC for years to come.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[GIPHY="what if"]https://media1.giphy.com/media/Yu0GtJGoDAeXK/giphy.gif[/GIPHY]

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, all those others I listed finished in the top 4. So did Brian Kelley and Helfrich.

Petersen has had one good year. He will impress me that he may not be just another coach who wins at Boise in the minor leagues then fails elsewhere if he doesn't get blasted next week and if he manages to have more than one good year.

I hope he beats Bama no matter what he does going forward.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
What if Germany bombed Pearl Harbor? Sorry, completely asinine question. First of all if Peterson's first two years here were like his first two at Washington, he probably would have been fired here based upon the general sentiment of this board and Mac's performance.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
LOL.

Do ANY of you really think we were going to pay enough to even get one of those guys to consider taking the job?

Have you even paid attention?

Fooley goes out and finds a coordinator from some successful coach (Zook, Chimp, Butters) and pays just enough to beat out the Sunbelt salaries.

Say we actually want one and are willing to pay whatever, is it not true that they can match anything we could afford? And most are happy at their schools or have other criteria like staying on the west coast or need special consideration like great medical. Look at say LSU they thought they could get better and failed. Now perhaps we should have gotten the Memphis coach, that we could have done.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What if Germany bombed Pearl Harbor? Sorry, completely asinine question. First of all if Peterson's first two years here were like his first two at Washington, he probably would have been fired here based upon the general sentiment of this board and Mac's performance.

We all know he would have gotten at minimum, 3 years. Would I be griping at 15-12 after two seasons? Absolutely. The seat would be warm.

Year 3? 12-1 and in the college playoffs. If Mac is in the college football playoffs NEXT year, I promise to become a total pumper.

92-12 and TWO undefeated seasons is going to get you some extra breathing room. Mac went 22-16 in 3 seasons at CSU. Yuck.

Petersen>Mac and it's not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator