What if the CFPlayoffs started in 1988?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What if it started in 1933? Or 1966? Or 2001? Hmmm? Ever thought about that!?!?! :D

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Using Bamma math, that's at least 9 more NCs for the good guys.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Spurrier was calling for a playoff system when he was still the HBC here. You have to think he would have another NC in his belt if it would have happened.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I could see us benefiting in '91, '93, '98 and 2001, with '95 possible as well depending on the seeding and if someone else knocked off Nebraska for us. Not sure if it would've made much of a difference in '09 but would've loved a rematch from the rematch in Atlanta.

The years it may have hurt are '96, again depending on Nebraska, and '06. I'm glad we didn't have it that year.

No question though that we likely would've had a net gain of at least one.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I could see us benefiting in '91, '93, '98 and 2001, with '95 possible as well depending on the seeding and if someone else knocked off Nebraska for us. Not sure if it would've made much of a difference in '09 but would've loved a rematch from the rematch in Atlanta.

The years it may have hurt are '96, again depending on Nebraska, and '06. I'm glad we didn't have it that year.

I mentioned on this board a few years ago that I went back and looked at Spurrier’s seasons one by one and was amazed at how close we were to playing for the natty in many years other than 95 and 96. A loss to Auburn here, Syracuse there, etc. cost us several opportunities. I was reminded, though, just had dominant we were...and I got depressed as hell longing for those days to return!

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
My takeaway is, holy crap the state of Florida has dominated college football.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
If CFP began in 1988, the field would be up to 8 or more teams by now.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ok so we have like 6 NCs now in football! Thanks! I remember them all!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ok so we have like 6 NCs now in football! Thanks! I remember them all!
Actually using Bammer rules, we have more than that, like 8 or 9. You can claim championships any time you finish in the top 5, when you were in the top 5 but lost your bowl game, and even when you had three losses and finished ranked #20 AP. That means we were national champions at least in 84, 85, 93, 95, 96, 01, 06, 08, 09 and some random year we were #20 or so. If we were really using Bammerlogic, we might also claim 97 and 98.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I wrote this a while back. We've won 17 national championships.

1911: Finished 5-0-1, only allowed 14 points all season. Undefeated with a great defense. Sounds familiar! National champs.

1928: Finished 8-1, with the only loss being in the season finale to Tennessee by one point. Another stingy defense gave up just under 5 points per game. Started 8-0 and only lost once by one, so therefore....national champs.

1943: Had no team because of World War II. Is it really our fault that the war happened? I think we could have had a truly great team that year. National champs.

1966: Finished 9-2, won the Orange Bowl against GT. Spurrier won the Heisman, and the Heisman only goes to the best player on the best team, so.....national champs.

1969: Finished 9-1-1, the Super Sophomores. The one loss was a bad one at Auburn, but how can you expect a bunch of sophomores to win every game on the road, especially in a tough environment like that? They get a free pass, so they were really 9-0-1. Undefeated season, national champs.

1979: Finished 0-10-1. Hey, this was one of the worst seasons in Gator football history. But Charley Pell's first season was the beginning of a new and exciting chapter in Florida football, and it was the first year of the now-familiar orange Gator script helmets. Plus they hung tough in a bunch of games. National champs.

1984: Finished 9-1-1. Hey, we already had people declaring us national champs this season. Some call it the greatest Gator team of all time. Since that would make them better than three other national championship teams, that makes them national champs.

1985: Finished 9-1-1. Lost one game to UGA, but they were distracted by the probation. Finished 1st in the SEC. National champs.

1995: Finished 12-1. Undefeated at the end of the season, only loss to Nebraska in the bowl game. Hey, Bama was declared national champions in a few seasons when they were undefeated and lost the bowl game, why can't we? Plus the '95 Nebraska team was the greatest of all time. The Gator team that year would have been the best in any other season. National champs.

1996: National champs.

1998: Finished 10-2. Only losses were to the two participants in the NC game. Think we could have won a rematch with either. National champs.

2001: Finished 10-2. Screwed over by 9/11 and the timing of the UT game being after Darnell Dockett injured Earnest Graham on purpose in the FSU game the week before. Team was just as talented and athletic as Miami. Split national champs, but since we're just counting how many times the term national champs describes a season......national champs.

2003: Finished 8-5. Beat the BCS Champs on their home field by double digits. National champs.

2006: National champs.

2007: Finished 9-4. Heisman winner is the best player on the best team. National champs.

2008: National champs.

And I'm going to go ahead and name Florida the national champs for 2009 since they were ranked #1 the entire season.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

I would add the ‘94 team as well. Had 7 turnovers in a close home loss to Auburn and we all remember the choke at doke. Spurrier sure did struggle with Bobby and Terry for a couple years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I wrote this a while back. We've won 17 national championships.

1911: Finished 5-0-1, only allowed 14 points all season. Undefeated with a great defense. Sounds familiar! National champs.

1928: Finished 8-1, with the only loss being in the season finale to Tennessee by one point. Another stingy defense gave up just under 5 points per game. Started 8-0 and only lost once by one, so therefore....national champs.

1943: Had no team because of World War II. Is it really our fault that the war happened? I think we could have had a truly great team that year. National champs.

1966: Finished 9-2, won the Orange Bowl against GT. Spurrier won the Heisman, and the Heisman only goes to the best player on the best team, so.....national champs.

1969: Finished 9-1-1, the Super Sophomores. The one loss was a bad one at Auburn, but how can you expect a bunch of sophomores to win every game on the road, especially in a tough environment like that? They get a free pass, so they were really 9-0-1. Undefeated season, national champs.

1979: Finished 0-10-1. Hey, this was one of the worst seasons in Gator football history. But Charley Pell's first season was the beginning of a new and exciting chapter in Florida football, and it was the first year of the now-familiar orange Gator script helmets. Plus they hung tough in a bunch of games. National champs.

1984: Finished 9-1-1. Hey, we already had people declaring us national champs this season. Some call it the greatest Gator team of all time. Since that would make them better than three other national championship teams, that makes them national champs.

1985: Finished 9-1-1. Lost one game to UGA, but they were distracted by the probation. Finished 1st in the SEC. National champs.

1995: Finished 12-1. Undefeated at the end of the season, only loss to Nebraska in the bowl game. Hey, Bama was declared national champions in a few seasons when they were undefeated and lost the bowl game, why can't we? Plus the '95 Nebraska team was the greatest of all time. The Gator team that year would have been the best in any other season. National champs.

1996: National champs.

1998: Finished 10-2. Only losses were to the two participants in the NC game. Think we could have won a rematch with either. National champs.

2001: Finished 10-2. Screwed over by 9/11 and the timing of the UT game being after Darnell Dockett injured Earnest Graham on purpose in the FSU game the week before. Team was just as talented and athletic as Miami. Split national champs, but since we're just counting how many times the term national champs describes a season......national champs.

2003: Finished 8-5. Beat the BCS Champs on their home field by double digits. National champs.

2006: National champs.

2007: Finished 9-4. Heisman winner is the best player on the best team. National champs.

2008: National champs.

And I'm going to go ahead and name Florida the national champs for 2009 since they were ranked #1 the entire season.

I’m really not sure how any of this debatable. That ‘28 team was just nasty.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I would add the ‘94 team as well. Had 7 turnovers in a close home loss to Auburn and we all remember the choke at doke. Spurrier sure did struggle with Bobby and Terry for a couple years.

One of the best SECCGs ever that season, and we were definitely loaded. But I think there were enough flaws to prevent a title. To me, it was one of the most frustrating seasons I’ve witnessed, despite the high notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.