What to expect from this team in the fall?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
As for Trash, I do hope he gets on the field at some point. It will be fun just to see the look on his face when he realizes this isn't middle school anymore and those 290-320 LB DL get to hit him in a second or two from the snap.

Isnt this the case for every QB that takes the field in the SEC for the first time? Why is Trask any different? At least he has worked his ass off trying to get better and has put in the time to get in shape. The kid is a good gator.

leogator

May 5, 2018
IMHO, pundits trace Bama's success to great WRs Jones & Cooper, or great RBs Lacey, Richardson, Ingram, etc or wonderful game-manager QBs, I'm thinking they overlook that Bama has dominating OLs. They have weightier, stronger blockers that "win". Lord, I'd love us to have dominating OL.
We had a big OL last year but due to the lack of S&C they were definitely not stronger. I am expecting our OL to play tons better than last year. Will they be at Alabama's or Auburn's or Georgia's level? No but they will be competent, well drilled, well conditioned. Mullen can help them by play calling so they don't have to hold their blocks too long.

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Those close to a program almost always expect more than reality dictates. I have learned the hard way. Lightning has struck twice with Spurrier and Urbs. Other than that not so much.

After these last two clowns, I'm not getting pumped up again. Odds are we'll see bitching and moaning.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Those close to a program almost always expect more than reality dictates. I have learned the hard way. Lightning has struck twice with Spurrier and Urbs. Other than that not so much.

After these last two clowns, I'm not getting pumped up again. Odds are we'll see *****ing and moaning.

I hear ya BUT at least we are seeing our players in shape and the team appears to be gelling and believing. We can only hope from here...

Last edited:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be happy if I can watch a game without being forced to turn it off by half time. Hell, I might even head to the swamp if we produce something watchable.

cs_gator

Nov 12, 2017
As someone who knows a lot about PEDs, our team is now juicing hard and will play like a different program in the fall. For whatever reason, after Meyer left our team went from almost entirely juiced up to maybe 10%.

We'll be actually able to compete and not get as many injuries.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I expect a 8-4, 9-3 type year. Under the current circumstances a fantastic year would be to beat the little guys and split between MSU, LSU. f$u and uga.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Several things stand out:
1. We have been so bad on the OL and at QB for so long, that I would embrace "averagely good" at those positions as a stroke of Devine intervention. I am fairly confident that better conditioning and competent coaching will bring about significant, if not mind-blowing, improvement in both areas.
2. Even with the departure of Eddie P. and Big Townsend, ST should be better overall. Other aspects were beyond sucky. Little Townsend and the #1 HSPK should be OK.
3. If the O comes around, the D will improve almost by default. Throw in the S&C and better coaching and I think we are in the top half of the league on this side of the ball.
4. I see between 8 and 10 wins (including a bowl), depending on just how well the big questions are answered.
5. Recruiting will be profoundly influenced by the quality of play on the field. We've got a lot to prove to the top-tier recruits. To think otherwise is folly, IMHO.
6. Trask plays well enough to seize the position and hold it until EJ is ready. The donkey's head explodes, and we all observe a moment of reverent silence - immediately prior to a keg party for the ages.
Devine as in the coach? Or divine as in omnipotent intervention? Just checking.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Isnt this the case for every QB that takes the field in the SEC for the first time? Why is Trask any different?
Bc instead of adjusting to the speed of high school vs SEC, he is adjusting from the speed of little league vs SEC.

Hell, as we saw with John Brantley, just adjusting to the speed of playing mop up duty against backups or tired starters in the 4th quarter vs starting is huge.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
As someone who knows a lot about PEDs, our team is now juicing hard and will play like a different program in the fall. For whatever reason, after Meyer left our team went from almost entirely juiced up to maybe 10%.

I sure hope we are not cheating, I would rather lose than cheat.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

:lol:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Why would anyone think the OL will be improved? We just do not have the OL on scholarship to be improved and, I am not sold on Hevesy being a great OL coach. He was demoted under Meyer. The Daz became the OL coach, with Hevesy coaching under The Daz. The Daz was actually a good OL coach - amazingly...

I expect improvement due to better strength and conditioning, better coaching, and better play calling that maximizes our potential. Now I could be incorrect, but only time will tell.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Worst case scenario: 9-4 with a bowl win

Best case scenario: 10-3

Fun exciting season. Running game will be lethal. Can’t wait.

cs_gator

Nov 12, 2017
Anyone who understands how steroids/PEDs work can easily tell who's "on or off".

Everybody in D1 does it, they pretty much have to, but Alabama and Georgia are currently the best at it.

There's a reason why a handful of guys were training off campus under Mac, and it wasn't just because they needed harder workouts.

There's also a reason why under Meyer most of our players looked like 35yr old men.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone who understands how steroids/PEDs work can easily tell who's "on or off"...
Brother, Im not doubting you, Im saying
not-listening-e1409682308608.jpg

na na na na na na

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That is a strange interpretation. Daz was TEs and Tackles. Hevesy was Gs and Cs. Daz wasn't the brains of the operation. Or any operation.

Hevesy has made a solid OL everywhere he has been. Our OLs (and especially recruiting for OL) took a "dive" once Daz took over when Hevesy left, though many blame him being stretched too thin between OC and OL.

The weird part was that Daz was definitely the better recruiter, ie more able to bring home a target, and yet Daz' last two classes only had two OL in each class.

We landed 5 OL in 09 according to Rivals.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Bc instead of adjusting to the speed of high school vs SEC, he is adjusting from the speed of little league vs SEC.

Maybe so but he has played behind our line and has seen what big defenders look like coming after him. I know he likely isn't an SEC quality QB but I think he can adjust just like any other. He may not be tough enough who knows but he is a pretty decent passer for not having the experience or coaching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator