What was your first cell phone?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Date yourself again...what was your first cell phone?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
First one that was mine personally (but work bought for me), was this Sony Zuma around 1998/9, and I loved it (and still would):
br.jpg

First one that was "mine" (I had to keep it 24/7, but it was the Army's) was this Motorola in 1988. There were about 10 of them in the entire US Army V Corps in Germany, my boss was the only non-General to have one in the Corps. This one was a MASSIVE improvement over the one it replaced because people only had to dial a single phone number to reach you anywhere, and you could call globally. The one before this required the following: In Germany, if you were driving from Fulda to Frankfurt, the country code was always +49, but on that drive, you traversed about 6 local "area codes." So, if someone wanted to reach you, they had to call each "area code" along the route until they got you. It was very similar to this one, but in a hard case.
b.jpg

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Motorola something. It was big and expensive to use. Probably made fewer than 5 calls from it ever. Mom thought I needed it at UF for safety.

LiaZBfwDfUrCNcHeqFGWiR.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Motorola something. It was big and expensive to use. Probably made fewer than 5 calls from it ever. Mom thought I needed it at UF for safety.

LiaZBfwDfUrCNcHeqFGWiR.jpg
Was your Mom's name "Gina" and did she work for Miami PD? :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Was your Mom's name "Gina" and did she work for Miami PD? :lol:

Your post would probably be funny if I understood the reference. :lol: (edit: Miami Vice?)
The Danny Rolling murders had just happened so I get her fear but that phone was better for knocking someone in the head rather than calling the police.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Your post would probably be funny if I understood the reference. :lol: (edit: Miami Vice?)
The Danny Rolling murders had just happened so I get her fear but that phone was better for knocking someone in the head rather than calling the police.
It was a Miami Vice reference, and we lived in Gatorwood. I knew Manny pretty well from the laundry room and jogging. Tracy dated the guy (UF student and part time ACSO deputy) in the apartment across from us and he's the one that positively id'd their bodies the morning Chris the maintenance guy found them. I definitely remember what a crazy, crazy time it was there for a few weeks.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
My first cell phone had a handset, a base, and the curly cord in between just like a house phone.

Once (or twice), I got loaded in Gainesville, drunk-dialing all my friends "back home," and it apparently cost my family like ~$300 each such night. Could've been more. Oops.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Obviously, it was intended for the road. I didn't carry it around. Lol

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
It was a Miami Vice reference, and we lived in Gatorwood. I knew Manny pretty well from the laundry room and jogging. Tracy dated the guy (UF student and part time ACSO deputy) in the apartment across from us and he's the one that positively id'd their bodies the morning Chris the maintenance guy found them. I definitely remember what a crazy, crazy time it was there for a few weeks.

Awful. My best friend from HS lived at Williamsburg apartment in the building next to the two girls. We moved in together later at Oxford Manor and felt a little safer.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I confess to never having had a personally owned cell phone - still don’t. First one I had actually assigned to me personally was overseas and was a Motorola flip phone. When I returned domestic, it was a Nextel with PTT. Thing was huge. (Deet we had those lunchbox jobs when they first came out too and the later the “brick” phones; we had to share though.)

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The wife and I hadn’t been married long when we received this Pioneer from my mother at Christmas…

s-l300.jpg

The missus kept it with her and used it sparingly, a couple of minor emergencies and if we were traveling to call home and check on our parents. I’m remembering some big gaps in coverage. They’ve certainly come a long way since then.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Mine was a Samsung flip phone provided by my employer. Boss asked me if I would go on a work trip so I countered with, "Can I get a company paid cell phone?" He said sure. Couple days later I had it. Used it for a few years until I changed employers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator