When sports writers could write

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I found a book called Best Sports Stories 1973. The year I grad. from HS.
A good one about player reps being boycotted. Reminded me of the Kap thing.
Great story about Jerry West and that first Lakers title. An Ali fight with George Chuvalo.
Chuvalo was a baddasss. But the best was at the end of the book. Low and behold
there was Tom McEwen. with this lead in to his story: Over you sliced Georgia peaches (they're in season now)w with cream and sugar, two slices of French toast heavy with egg, sprinkled powder sugar and maple syrup atop, two slices of Canadian bacon, cold milk, coffee, then a mouth-cleansing plum (they're in, too) , this drama at breakfast:
Now I realize where some of my quirks come from. But more than that the book is full of real
gems, written by guys that could observe and write instead of what passes now for sports stories.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I grew up in the TB area with Mizell writing for the Times and McEwen writing for the Trib. Nobody had it better.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
I grew up in the TB area with Mizell writing for the Times and McEwen writing for the Trib. Nobody had it better.
You are so right. Not only did I grow up in TB area, but when I was a student at UF I had a job as sports stringer for the Trib working for and with Tom McEwen and Jim Selman. That was in the days when sports writers were real writers. Tom McEwen was one the best ever and the time I spent as his assistant was priceless.

Last edited:

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You are so right. Not only did I grow up in TB area, but when I was a student at UF I had a job as sports stringer for the Trib working for and with Tom McEwen and Jim Selman. That was in the days when sports writers were real writers. Tom McEwen was one the best ever and the time I spent as his assistant was priceless.

Bet you have some dandy stories...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

McEwen had the contacts, Mizell the better writing ability. They were both good men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator