Who is our new coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I think this is his first year at Iowa State. If memory serves me correctly, he was a mid major hot name last year who left many scratching their heads when he took the Iowa State job...people thought he should have held out for a better school. He’s certainly showing everybody that he’s a pretty good coach.

**EDIT**- It’s his 2nd year at Iowa State. He came from Toledo, where they finished 10-2 his final year there, scoring wins over Arkansas and Iowa State. He’s also young...he is 37 years old.

Sounds good to me, what’s his buyout? Can’t be much at Iowa State.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only reason we should even be considering Norvell is if Frost already told us no. Until Frost says he's not interested, he should be the primary target and we should be doing whatever it will take to get him.

This post makes too much damn sense !

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Back to the thread topic, I am not endorsing any of these names b/c I do not like them, but I just saw that Arizona leads Wash St. early in the game. I do not think either team is great but it takes me back to the spring when RichRod at AZ (who I thought would be fired after last season) took it upon himself and told the players that spring practice would be fundamentals only, no scrimmages, no spring game etc. Now I am not saying this is the sole reason AZ is 5-2 at this point, but for a fan of a team who is the WORST fuindamentally sound team I have ever witnessed, i applaud RichRod for having the guts to make a change and try something different. That shows me something even if the results are not what you might have wanted. Not a RichRod fan, but just think it was interesting.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This lawyer dude is throwing his weight around like he's got a major in at the UAA. Maybe so. I don't agree with the assessment that Norvell is the best candidate. Memphis gives up way too many points. He hasn't recruited Florida.

If we're going to go fishing in the AAC, I'd prefer Frost.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The buy outs are why you don't see much P5 to other P5 moves.

TV money has level the playing field. Frost would be ideal because he already has recruiting in roads. I say we go Frost and try to head off Nebraska

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently it’s $9.4 million at the end of this season (full remaining amount of the balance of his contract).

https://footballscoop.com/news/anyone-coming-matt-campbell-better-prepared-break-bank/
Yeah, that isn't an enforceable provision IMO.

At some point, some attorney will attack these as illegal restraints. The damage for the breach of a contract isn't the amount of money you were going to pay the breaching party. There has to be some semblance of rational relationship to the buyout clauses to actual damages. The parties can agree to some number when it is difficult to fix but it can't just be an incredible number.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Yeah, that isn't an enforceable provision IMO.

At some point, some attorney will attack these as illegal restraints. The damage for the breach of a contract isn't the amount of money you were going to pay the breaching party. There has to be some semblance of rational relationship to the buyout clauses.

Good to know. One more question...would the fact that the school has to pay him the full remaining balance if they fired him without cause not be considered the rational relationship you mentioned above?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator