Why I don't watch the NBA...

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Because it is now the polar opposite of this...

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Main reason I don't watch anymore has nothing to do with talent, skill, Or dedication of the players. And has nothing to do with rule changes or officiating. It has everything to do with the fact that the NBA is devoid of true rivalries. The NFL is starting to move that way as well. It's what I love about college football and basketball.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Team, unselfish touches... good times.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't watch because its not the playoffs yet. They don't play 100% until then. Plus, we all already know whos gonna be in the finals. There's really only 2 teams competing for it all.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
No rivalries, quality of play sucks, depth of good teams is lacking.

Example, I'll take Game 4 of the first round of the NBA playoffs in Charlotte in 1992, where the Hornets broke through in what was Mchale's last game as a pro it turned out. The old Hive absolutely rocked with 24,000 every night, like a college atmosphere. I was blessed enough to be in the top of the upper deck that night in that building, and, to this day, it was the loudest indoor building I have ever been at for any sporting event, that includes Carolina Hurricanes Stanley Cup games, a Duke/UNC hoops game in Chapel Hill in 2000 where Forte hit a buzzer beater that forced OT, SECC games galore, etc. The crowd that night was beyond electric.

The loudest moments were obviously when Mourning hit the shot at the buzzer late, but that first minute of the game, two consecutive dunks by Gill and Newman, and Ford, the Celtics HC, had to burn a 20 second timeout a minute in and down 4-0? You NEVER see that...ever.....just play the first 1:10 of this clip....the crowd was beyond ape ****......the Mourning shot was around the 1:27:25 mark or so for another crowd ape **** moment, and them putting time back on the clock after, but that crowd burst was something.......

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
When they stopped letting these guys play defense and started letting them get away with 4-5 step travels is when I lost interest.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I lost interest after Jordan's second threepeat. I cared a few more years after that, but once the league was full of the iversons of the world and enbraced the gangster rap era of the NBA they lost me. The guys they have now have done a good job embracing moving away from the days of the Jailblazers era, but the lack of effort and star distrubution non existant I could care less. It also doesn't help that around the early 2000s is when everyone stopped going to college and developing which has hurt the ability to draft depth for anyone outside the top couple of picks which is why everyone tanks to try and get that one guy worth 20 extra wins.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Main reason I don't watch anymore has nothing to do with talent, skill, Or dedication of the players. And has nothing to do with rule changes or officiating. It has everything to do with the fact that the NBA is devoid of true rivalries. The NFL is starting to move that way as well. It's what I love about college football and basketball.
Never really thought of it that way but it's kind of true....Again free agency has kinda changed it for me because the players seem to come and go from team to team so fast.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Refs don't even enforce the fundamentals i.e. traveling, moving screens etc.

Plus, the flopping is out of control lead by the game's best player (who I can't stand).

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I live in South Florida so I go to as many games at the Triple A as I can get to but I literally watch all 82 Heat games. If we can't get there I watch on Sun Sports. If I can't see it live I record it and nobody is allowed to tell me the outcome. When I was stationed in SoCal in the 80's I'd go to see the Lakers as often as I could and even the old San Diego teams. I have enjoyed every decade of the NBA. Total basketball junkie.

BTW the Heat just won their 11th in a row!!

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well, I'm an Orlando Magic fan so....nuff said.

930d688d649fd8fe089f969df811f2ad.jpg

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Because it is now the polar opposite of this...

The picture would lead me to think "not enough white guys" ;) MY DAD would love to see that video. He was the reason I became a Celtic fan. He started when Russell played.
But I get you completely. Years ago when I kept seeing just clear outs for the star to go one on one or just set a pick for the star I gave up. And when players started jumping all over for $$$ it was like "who is my team now"

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Athletes for the most part are better today than in the past. The problem is, they go so far out of their way to let you know it, an obliging media with its own agenda acting fully complicit. There's never been more self-promotion or me-first entitlement in sports. Or money. So many examples to point to leading up to it. Terrell Owens pulling out a Sharpie pen in the endzone after a score, LeBron James hosting an hour-long TV special over his basketball future, high school players scheduling news conferences to announce which college they chose. All of it. It's been building and building for some time.

When you score a TD, hand the ref the ball and trot the f*ck off the field. Act like you've been there before.

Sports was best when the experiences you had on a ballfield as a kid were being played out in packed stadiums. It seldom happens anymore.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When they stopped letting these guys play defense and started letting them get away with 4-5 step travels is when I lost interest.

This is me too.
When the league decided (mid 80"s) that the league was entertainment versus sports they chose to ignore many of the rules of the game in an effort to make it a circus, they lost me. To make it worse, the sports media gushes over guys that pick up the dribble and take a run to the basket like it is a miraculous feat.
The first time I saw a clear out play run, I knew that Dr. Naismith was turning in his grave.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Miami Heat with their 12th win in a row. Really like this team. Great culture and commitment to defense. One of the biggest surprises of the year is James Johnson. Damn...I had no idea he was this good.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Miami Heat with their 12th win in a row. Really like this team. Great culture and commitment to defense. One of the biggest surprises of the year is James Johnson. Damn...I had no idea he was this good.
Miami are some of the worst fans in the world. They deserve nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator