Why we can win out with Treon

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Look at how masterfully this pass to McGree plays out. We haven't had playcalling like this around here since the days of SOS.

McGee-LSU.png

McGee-LSU-2.png

McGee-LSU-31.png

McGee-LSU-4.png

McGee-LSU-51.png

McGee-LSU-6.png

McGee-LSU-7.png

* Photo sequence courtesy of In All Kinds of Weather

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nice job, both of you.

I talked about this in the lead up to the Lsu game. Our biggest difference on offense is not only that there are more opportunities for positive plays, but also that we're making them when they're there. So many perfectly scripted plays. Treon just has to hit them, which he did for much of that night. If we do that, we can win every game in front of us.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like when we get near the endzone in running situations that we put 2 huge massive defensive lineman in there to help block. Don't really see that too often. Go Gators!!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It really is a great play and Treon made the right throw. I think as Treon gets more game and practice experience he will get better at finding the open guy. I feel like he missed some opportunities against LSU, but when it is your first game back as starter and you haven't been getting 1st team reps all year it is hard.

I think we can win out with him.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
ATXGator;n303968 said:
It really is a great play and Treon made the right throw. I think as Treon gets more game and practice experience he will get better at finding the open guy. I feel like he missed some opportunities against LSU, but when it is your first game back as starter and you haven't been getting 1st team reps all year it is hard.

I think we can win out with him.

Not only that, but consider the whole Grier fiasco the week leading up to it, that was one hell of a messy situation.

This is Treon's team now, that much is evident. I'm sure Mac will have a great gameplan tailored just for him and his skillset.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What stands out to me in that sequence of pictures is that there is a pocket for him to work with. I thought Treon was too quick to tuck it and run last year when we had a decent O-line. If Mac and Nuss can convince him to stand in there under duress and let the play develop, I too think we are Atlanta bound.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great post and breakdown. Yes, the playcalling is there and with Mac and Nuss they look at what we can do, our limitations, and mismatches. We haven't had that in a long time. I too think that is why we can win out. This offense is giving the D time to rest and be ready and able to play at a high level for four quarters. I said last off season that with WM gone we would at that point be better offensively. And also that if the OL just gave a couple of seconds we would produce more offensively. So far, it holds to be true.

Now kick those Dwags arse already.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
TN G8tr;n303986 said:
with Mac and Nuss they look at what we can do, our limitations, and mismatches. We haven't had that in a long time.

You're saying WM didn't think-tank his way into mismatching? What about the genius of putting a DE in at TE so as to outsmart the other team with his offense?

But you're right, our new staff definitely use their collective noggins and experience to scheme up ways to mismatch and exploit the other team. It seems they are also making it simpler for the QB to read and react, which if combined with having a little more patience, will get TH to make the plays we need him to make. Feels good again to be a Gator fan.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
DRob in frame 6 breaks behind the the linebacker waving frantically but once McGee goes in motion Treon never takes his eyes off him.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n303999 said:
DRob in frame 6 breaks behind the the linebacker waving frantically but once McGee goes in motion Treon never takes his eyes off him.
He didn't really need to at that point. McGee was practically in the endzone by then, there was literally no one around him.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n303999 said:

When they come back to this play against UGA or FSU, DRob will be the target now that McGee will get all of the attention. It helped, though, that the defender on that side blitzed.

Overall, the timing of that call couldn't have been better.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So we will win out as long as the defenses we play blow their coverages?

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
It is all about managing the game and playing within the system. Look if we had WillyG we could win on his arm alone, but now you have to trust in the system and have a game manager. Look at most of the QBs that Coach Mac has had. That is what they do best is manage the game.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Go Gata;n303984 said:
What stands out to me in that sequence of pictures is that there is a pocket for him to work with. I thought Treon was too quick to tuck it and run last year when we had a decent O-line. If Mac and Nuss can convince him to stand in there under duress and let the play develop, I too think we are Atlanta bound.

I agree. He still needs to learn to step up into the pocket and have just a couple more seconds of patience. The great thing about stepping into the pocket, rather than taking off to the side for a run, is he'll still have the option to run if needed and it would just be a straight forward run. Much more effective.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I don't expect Treon to ever be good or even average from the pocket. He doesn't have to be to win in college. Vince Young was a one read and go guy. Many times he decided he was going to take off and run even though a pass play was called. He didn't care. He was going to run it. Manziel was a larry lock-on yet he won. The examples are many. Treon needs to be in space and he can make plays. It is up to the coaching staff to scheme that up. A running game would make things so much easier on him, but I don't expect us to get one with our o-line playing so poorly.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I removed the first frame as it was intended as an overview from the In All Kinds of Weather piece and is out of sequence.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Of course we can win out with him, provided we can maybe run for more than 55 yards like we did against LSU and the defense doesn't have bad lapses in a quarter of every game. Games are UGA, Vandy at home, @SCAR, FAU at home and FSU at home. No reason to think any of those are not winnable.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n304047 said:
I agree. He still needs to learn to step up into the pocket and have just a couple more seconds of patience. The great thing about stepping into the pocket, rather than taking off to the side for a run, is he'll still have the option to run if needed and it would just be a straight forward run. Much more effective.

If he steps up in the pocket, then he is causing his vision to be blocked. He has to stay back so he has a chance to see down the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.