Wilder vs Fury

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I was pretty deep in a bottle of Jack but I'm pretty sure during Wilders entrance the lil guy rapping said "white people's is a cancer". Did anyone else catch that?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well that was the strangest ring walk ever for Fury. Patsy Clines “Crazy”.

Fury is a jokester. But also he has trained for years and embraces the "sweet science" technically. Wilder has been in the boxing business long enough that he should be able to respond with technically sound boxing; he never learned it. Then he 'downwized' his trainer & cornerman.'
There was only one boxer in that ring last night.

IMO, those 2 fighters liked and respected one another. Marketeers scripted their moments of "you gonna get it". For sure, Fury clowned around before he faced any top opponents =

Fury is a character. So who’s out there to challenge him? That was dominant.

My guess would be Daniel Dubois - a power hitter with decent boxing skills. Undefeated of course. All but maybe one by knockout.
Joshua got shown up.

On Tyson's descent, don't forget he married that Robin hollywooden gal. She cajoled Tyson into seeing a psychiatrist. The doc put him on Rx antipsychotics along with SSRIs to diminish Tyson's anger. All that had a bearing on Tyson's aimless drift. Still, nobody puts Holyfield in the corner.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I thought Wilder's post fight comments were great and the words of a professional that knows he got his ass kicked... but I don't want to hear the "i had a lot going on..." and "personal issues" bullschit. Everyone has those...

Also, if I read this one more time, I'll scream: "The first knockdown came in the third round as Fury unloaded a tough combination to drop Wilder, landing a right hook to the back of Wilder’s head which looked to have perforated his eardrum." It wasn't a "punch to the back of the head. He got punched in the ear hole while turning from an ass whipping, that's on him, and everyone knows it's a gift if a fighter presents you with a shot to the ear hole.

Still haven't seen anyone talk about how many actual "back of the head", by the rule behind the ear and actual back of the head, times Wilder hit Fury when they were locked up. Sure, all ineffective, but if we are going to talk rules, give warnings, and actually take a point from Fury for not following instructions, then Wilder shoulda lost a point for the 20 or so actual back of the head times he hit Fury.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Boxing is so much about matchups and styles. Foreman destroyed Norton and Frazier. Norton and Frazier gave Ali all he could handle. Ali made Foreman look like an amateur.

Wilder can come back from this loss and knock out alot of folks. But he’s not beating Fury ever other than with a possible punchers Hail Mary.....and even that is doubtful.
I’d like to see a Wilder v. Joshua match up.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I didn’t fork out the money for the ppv, just hard for me want to spend that much money on something that could be a dud. But I did find a link to the live radio call of the fight by some British announcer and it was actually entertaining to listen to. Probably do that again if I think about it the next time there’s a big fight.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Boxing is so much about matchups and styles. Foreman destroyed Norton and Frazier. Norton and Frazier gave Ali all he could handle. Ali made Foreman look like an amateur.

Wilder can come back from this loss and knock out alot of folks. But he’s not beating Fury ever other than with a possible punchers Hail Mary.....and even that is doubtful.
I’d like to see a Wilder v. Joshua match up.
Wilder needs to make changes in his corner, like Fury did, or he won't be beating anyone of quality again. Until the ear shot, I though Fury was in total control, but still had to worry about Wilder landing that hail mary right you are talking about, after the ear shot, it was more a question of when Wilder was going down for good.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I didn’t fork out the money for the ppv, just hard for me want to spend that much money on something that could be a dud. But I did find a link to the live radio call of the fight by some British announcer and it was actually entertaining to listen to. Probably do that again if I think about it the next time there’s a big fight.
Radio is still really cool, especially with local type announcers... I love finding the live radio broadcasts of NFL games on Sirius, but not with the national announcers, but the local team radio broadcast.

I only paid for this fight at home so I could "watch" it with my sons while we video chatted all at the same time.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Wilder needs to make changes in his corner, like Fury did, or he won't be beating anyone of quality again. Until the ear shot, I though Fury was in total control, but still had to worry about Wilder landing that hail mary right you are talking about, after the ear shot, it was more a question of when Wilder was going down for good.

Agreed...before the first knockdown I said to my son that Fury will win a unanimous decision but it will be a fairly boring fight. Then he knocked him down and Wilder never recovered. I think Fury could have taken him out at any point after that but was strategic and aware of the possible Hail Mary.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Agreed...before the first knockdown I said to my son that Fury will win a unanimous decision but it will be a fairly boring fight. Then he knocked him down and Wilder never recovered. I think Fury could have taken him out at any point after that but was strategic and aware of the possible Hail Mary.
Yup, I agree. And the only smart thing Breland did all night was throw in the towel. When your guy has not thrown a punch in several minutes, and is standing in the corner dazed and bleeding from 4 of the 5 holes in his head, and a TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-FIVE POUND FIGHTER is putting his left hand on your guys face to range massive right hand blows to the head, it's the correct thing to do.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fvvvvvvk. This fight is taking forever to start. Fury’s entrance has been mike 5 minutes long.
You don't remember Lewis doing similar before some of his matches... it's been like WWE entrances since the late 90s

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I watched it for free with the wife... Fury had the plan and won with that plan. Wilder was done from the start, when he wasn't the person pushing the action it took away everything he had.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I watched it for free with the wife... Fury had the plan and won with that plan. Wilder was done from the start, when he wasn't the person pushing the action it took away everything he had.
Without a haymaker, it was over the first time Fury backed him up and poked him in the face with a jab... you could see it in Wilder's face then that this was a different fight and he didn't know what to do about it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well, the fight was supposed to be a KO by Wilder. I like the novel way that it went. It was good for boxing and fun to see the "art of boxing" teach sluggo a lesson. Wilder has made millions, gotten tremendous adulation yet never bothered to master the "craft" part of boxing. He's had plenty of training. Brings memory when Igmar Johannsen knocked out Floyd Patterson. For the rematch Patterson & crew went back to the drawing board and won the rematch using a peekaboo bob & weave.

Fury will probably be an even better boxer for the rematch. (unless he goes back on drugs and slothfulness) I enjoyed the fight on You-Tube replay the next day. Wilder was ineffective to the nth degree. He needs to subtract & add trainers. Comeback wins nourish the sport.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
there were three replays on Youtube Sunday morning, by noon they were gone

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So, Wilder has announced his intention to fire Breland for throwing in the towel and wants the July rematch... he's an idiot.... Good luck with that.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
So, Wilder has announced his intention to fire Breland for throwing in the towel and wants the July rematch... he's an idiot.... Good luck with that.
I get wanting a rematch as it would be a big pay day, but after watching the video (shout out to @SCColaGator ), I have to say throwing in the towel may have saved Wilder from permanent damage. It sure looked on the screen that he was getting killed and had no way of stopping Fury. I suspect if it had gone on much longer the ref might have stopped it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator