Will Grier - is he even close to ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
What happened to Joyer in the backfield...leading blocker for Jones / Taylor...seems like this was effective

we need to run, run , run...and if we pass...catch, catch catch it!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ReelGatorDoc;n71593 said:
What happened to Joyer in the backfield...leading blocker for Jones / Taylor...seems like this was effective

we need to run, run , run...and if we pass...catch, catch catch it!

I had a feeling he would mostly be left out when we went to this new offense.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n71580 said:
There are no back spasms, that was our built in excuse for a medical redshirt. The rest of your post is almost 100% correct. I mentioned in a post about our offense on Sunday that we need to go back to a run heavy offense....not necessarily the heavy package though. When we run the ball this year we are telegraphing it time and time again. Same thing, the H back or B back goes from one tackle to the other side and stops......we need to clear the LOS by sending them wide and going with a 2 back look and motioning 1 out for screen passes and to draw a LB or safety out of the box. Our offensive line is doing a good job at the point of attack but we are only getting 2-4 yard gains because the opposing LB's and safety's are there to make the tackle.....We might also go back to running some true option running plays and involving KT, MB, BP and Adam Lane. RB is our best skill position on the field yet we are under utilizing them and trying to use mediocre WR's too much IMO.

Come on Helmet, even you can't believe that. Grier doesn't need a medical red shirt because he hasn't played a single down in a game yet. There is and hasn't been any reason to fake his back spasms for a red shirt.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n71580 said:
There are no back spasms, that was our built in excuse for a medical redshirt. The rest of your post is almost 100% correct. I mentioned in a post about our offense on Sunday that we need to go back to a run heavy offense....not necessarily the heavy package though. When we run the ball this year we are telegraphing it time and time again. Same thing, the H back or B back goes from one tackle to the other side and stops......we need to clear the LOS by sending them wide and going with a 2 back look and motioning 1 out for screen passes and to draw a LB or safety out of the box. Our offensive line is doing a good job at the point of attack but we are only getting 2-4 yard gains because the opposing LB's and safety's are there to make the tackle.....We might also go back to running some true option running plays and involving KT, MB, BP and Adam Lane. RB is our best skill position on the field yet we are under utilizing them and trying to use mediocre WR's too much IMO.

why would they fake backspasms if he has a free redshirt year? He hasn't stepped on the field, so he still is available for a red shirt season. This fake back spasms is pretty humorous.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TheDouglas78;n71656 said:
This fake back spasms is pretty humorous.
What's even more funny is how he was available right before we knew we might be benching our starter..... There is no such thing as a "free redshirt" they have to list a medical reason.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n71659 said:
What's even more funny is how he was available right before we knew we might be benching our starter..... There is no such thing as a "free redshirt" they have to list a medical reason.
They do? I was always under the impression you could get a redshirt at any time, just for not playing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

You are kidding right? Do you know so little of the redshirt rules. I guess Wuerfell, Grossman, Manziel, etc... were injuried their entire true freshmen years.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n71661 said:
You are kidding right? Do you know so little of the redshirt rules. I guess Wuerfell, Grossman, Manziel, etc... were injuried their entire true freshmen years.
Jameis, too.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't Grier's specialty the long bomb? I thought all the practice reports said he had a beautiful deep ball. That's a big thing we've been missing.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Each student-athlete is eligible for four years of competition in each of their chosen sports. If a qualified incoming student-athlete is "redshirted" his or her freshman year (i.e., practices but does not compete), four full years of eligibility still remain. An extra year of eligibility can also be granted via a "hardship waiver" if a student-athlete suffers an incapacitating injury or illness in the course of a season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season and the student-athlete, in Divisions I and II, must not have participated in more than two contests or 20% of the school's completed contests, whichever is greater. In Division III, the threshhold is three contests or 33% of completed contests, whichever is greater. For more information on redshirt eligibility.

I guess allqualified incoming student-athlete that are redshirted their freshmen year are injured, right?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
TheDouglas78;n71671 said:
An extra year of eligibility can also be granted via a "hardship waiver"
It is exactly why they call it a "medical" redshirt in their freshmen year....If they do not then a player would never qualify for a hardship later down the line. Go back and check some of the players you mentioned that redshirted their freshmen year. I'll bet you that all of them had some kind of "medical" reason for redshirting. It wouldn't make since to do so since it is acceptable.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Definition of a "Redshirt"

Each student-athlete is eligible for four years of competition in each of their chosen sports. If a qualified incoming student-athlete is "redshirted" his or her freshman year (i.e., practices but does not compete), four full years of eligibility still remain. An extra year of eligibility can also be granted via a "hardship waiver" if a student-athlete suffers an incapacitating injury or illness in the course of a season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season and the student-athlete, in Divisions I and II, must not have participated in more than two contests or 20% of the school's completed contests, whichever is greater. In Division III, the threshhold is three contests or 33% of completed contests, whichever is greater. For more information on redshirt eligibility, access the NCAA website.

http://sports.findlaw.com/student_athlete/elig_summ/

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n71717 said:
It is exactly why they call it a "medical" redshirt in their freshmen year....If they do not then a player would never qualify for a hardship later down the line. Go back and check some of the players you mentioned that redshirted their freshmen year. I'll bet you that all of them had some kind of "medical" reason for redshirting. It wouldn't make since to do so since it is acceptable.

:facepalm:

I'm going to assume this statement is just a joke, because no where in reading what I post or what williston_gator posted after your response does it talk about the Freshmen redshirt being a hardship redshirt. An extra year of eligiblity after the Freshmen Redshirt season can be granted due to hardship redshirt. A running back at Arkansas had 6 years of eligibilty due to this a few years back.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
williston_gator;n71720 said:
if a student-athlete suffers an incapacitating injury or illness in the course of a season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season and the student-athlete, in Divisions I and II, must not have participated in more than two contests or 20%
Proves my point to a tee. It is the first half of the season....we were at a point of benching our starter.....and Grier might have OR might yet get a limited amount of reps disqualifying him from getting a redshirt for this year....It's not that hard to understand.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n71726 said:
Proves my point to a tee. It is the first half of the season....we were at a point of benching our starter.....and Grier might have OR might yet get a limited amount of reps disqualifying him from getting a redshirt for this year....It's not that hard to understand.

Actually it doesnt' prove your point at all, because it is talking about a second form of Redshirting. Apparently for you it is that hard to understand.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet going past the realm of full retard. We need a new term for what's happening right now. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.