Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz commits to Gators

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Drake May reportedly hitting the portal. Would be my #1 choice, but he’ll probably transfer to Bama, UGA or something like that

1. Maye
2. Leary
3. Hartman (if he hits portal?)
4. Pratt

That's who I would target in that order

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
We're not taking either. Word is Slovis is headed to Mizzou and Hornsby if we took him would be for depth

Better not even kick tires with Slovis. Dudes awful.

Hornsby I’d take for depth, but doubt he’s looking to transfer to sit more

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Better not even kick tires with Slovis. Dudes awful.

Hornsby I’d take for depth, but doubt he’s looking to transfer to sit more

Well he would be starter this year if he were to stay at Arky, so I don't know about him. Slovis is ass. I really think we will push for Maye and Leary.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Well he would be starter this year if he were to stay at Arky, so I don't know about him. Slovis is ass. I really think we will push for Maye and Leary.

KJ Jefferson is returning to Arky. But ya, Slovis is terrible, I’m surprised he doesn’t just accept the starter role at Pitt. Not gonna get much better for him

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Maye entering the portal is exactly what many warned about with regard the portal. It’s literally everything that’s wrong with college football. Number 3 overall QB, so could’ve gone anywhere. Chooses to go to Unc, gets starting role as a Freshman, same coaches, no change in system, but because of having a big year is leaving his team high and dry to pursue better NIL opportunities. I’m no Brown fan, but how many kids shied away from them last class because of them having their guy, or how many kids this go around looked elsewhere since they saw a cemented starter only one year removed from themselves? That’s garbage.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Horsnby? Have you seen that dude throw? He is a great athlete and would take him in a heartbeat if you used him at QB in an 85% run offense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Leary sucked from what little I've seen. I think bama and uga will be all over maye. Maye Hartman Reed or the Tulane kid. I'd be ecstatic over any of these guys

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Leary sucked from what little I've seen. I think bama and uga will be all over maye. Maye Hartman Reed or the Tulane kid. I'd be ecstatic over any of these guys

Leary in 2021 was a 65% passer with near 3500 yards and a 35td to 5 int ratio....this year he was hurt.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My opinion may be the outlier here, but I don’t really care who we bring in, and I’m not even completely sure I want them to be the starter for all of 2023. In two weeks we sign our number one objective QB. I would like to see him with a significant role next year, regardless of the lumps we take with him. I know there is the prevailing thought that Napier has no time window, but that’s simply not realistic. Going into ‘23 with a completely unproven red shirt freshman QB is not ideal, especially if we aren’t good next season. Even Zook almost avoided getting fired in 2004 strictly because of his sophomore QB. Things change quickly and we need Rashada playing very soon.
Rashada needs an entire year of not playing so he can at least get up to 150 pounds.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Maye has denied every which way that he's entering the portal, so I don't know where that's coming from. If he does, he's far and away the best QB in the portal, maybe the best QB in the short history of the portal.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Maye entering the portal is exactly what many warned about with regard the portal. It’s literally everything that’s wrong with college football. Number 3 overall QB, so could’ve gone anywhere. Chooses to go to Unc, gets starting role as a Freshman, same coaches, no change in system, but because of having a big year is leaving his team high and dry to pursue better NIL opportunities. I’m no Brown fan, but how many kids shied away from them last class because of them having their guy, or how many kids this go around looked elsewhere since they saw a cemented starter only one year removed from themselves? That’s garbage.
You couldn't be more right, but that's the reality right now. It's ThunderDome, there are no rules. College football is currently just a mini-NFL without the guardrails of contracts. The portal is nothing more than free agency.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Maye has denied every which way that he's entering the portal, so I don't know where that's coming from. If he does, he's far and away the best QB in the portal, maybe the best QB in the short history of the portal.

*Who knows if this guy is a legit source*

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I think if we landed Maye I would bust not one nut, but both.

Come on down Maye!

I Need It Reaction GIF

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I haven't watched the western Kentucky kid play but that seems like it would be one hell of a pick up. 2nd in the nation in yards. Completed 64% of his throws and went 36/10 . National Championship winners at the d2 level.
His highlights look good and the way he slings it reminds me a little of Grossman. But he had great protection against crappy competition, which is why WKU always puts up gaudy passing numbers. There's probably a good reason he didn't have any interest even from crappy Power 5 programs. We literally don't have any QB's currently so we would definitely take him.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
My opinion may be the outlier here, but I don’t really care who we bring in, and I’m not even completely sure I want them to be the starter for all of 2023. In two weeks we sign our number one objective QB. I would like to see him with a significant role next year, regardless of the lumps we take with him. I know there is the prevailing thought that Napier has no time window, but that’s simply not realistic. Going into ‘23 with a completely unproven red shirt freshman QB is not ideal, especially if we aren’t good next season. Even Zook almost avoided getting fired in 2004 strictly because of his sophomore QB. Things change quickly and we need Rashada playing very soon.
I agree. This idea that we can suck next year because it's another rebuilding year is bullsh*t. We are being compared to other P5 teams that had a rookie coach this year, and so far Napier is at the bottom of the class with Venables and Cristobal. Sh*t the bed again next year while Kelly, Riley, Dykes, Lanning, etc are again competing for championships and his seat will definitely heat up. He's not getting fired no matter what next year, but there will be lots of noise in the system if we keep losing all the games that matter. What we do in the Portal and recruiting class now is going to make or break this staff.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
I agree. This idea that we can suck next year because it's another rebuilding year is bullsh*t. We are being compared to other P5 teams that had a rookie coach this year, and so far Napier is at the bottom of the class with Venables and Cristobal. Sh*t the bed again next year while Kelly, Riley, Dykes, Lanning, etc are again competing for championships and his seat will definitely heat up. He's not getting fired no matter what next year, but there will be lots of noise in the system if we keep losing all the games that matter. What we do in the Portal and recruiting class now is going to make or break this staff.
Those other rookie coaches were lucky enough to not have followed Dan Mullen—the laziest money-grubbing opportunistic POS of a coach ever to step onto Florida Field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator