âš½ 2015 Gold Cup Tournament âš½

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
330,000,000 people in this country and this is the best we have? These girls aren't going to make it very far.

VirginiaGator

VA to RI to FL
Jul 9, 2014
If you want to carry on with this conversation, you can find me in the real thread USA soccer! :moon:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
VirginiaGator;n232118 said:
If you want to carry on with this conversation, you can find me in the real thread USA soccer! :moon:

Attachments

• conv_3394.gif
    conv_3394.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 37

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Far too much screeching and far too much psycho Hope Solo. Not sure how much I'll be watching.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The US girls don't look like they've ever played together. Looks like a weekend pick up game down at the Y.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Amazing what happens when you actually pass the ball to an open person. US 2 - Aussies 1

VirginiaGator

VA to RI to FL
Jul 9, 2014
Even though USA is #2 in world, Australia is #10. So they aren't bad. First game of the World Cup too. We'll be fine.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Wambach looks old. Does she actually know how to kick the ball? Or is she strictly there to bounce balls off her noggin?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Soccer nerd here, forgive me.

Abby is old, it is a known fact. She may not start all games, may not even play in all games. Her presence changes the way opponents play, sometimes you want to force that. At other times, her style doesn't fit well to go against today's defenses - so depending on the opponent, she may not be used. This is her last WC, everybody knows that. Some weren't sure she'd make the squad.

Also, we are in a generational transition with this team. There are a few older players like Abby and Rapino, and a lot of new faces even among the starters. They have had the past few years to sort out who of the next generation is good enough to make the squad and possibly start. They have also had that time to use friendly matches to work out chemistry - who works well together on the field. I don't know if this opening game was just jitters or if they are still figuring out chemistry. It doesn't look like they are a whole unit as yet.

The team overall looked asleep to start the game, though I credit AUS with coming out of the gate strong and hard, they pressed us and were dominating out of the gate. 10 min in, the US settled down and started playing better, playing their game a bit more rather than trying to react to what AUS was doing. We are one of the top teams in the world for a reason, we are f'n good. That said, we aren't always on top of our game. And, for those of you who couldn't stand the way we played, skip the rest of the games. Women's soccer may not be for you. That said, you have a choice to watch or not - don't watch and bitch. Watch and enjoy, or don't watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator